Entropia Universe Guide

Discussion in 'Guides and help' started by Tass, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Tass

Tass Administrator

I would like to introduce the Project "Entropia Universe Guide".

The goal of this project is to create an as complete as possible guide of Entropia Universe and keep it as up-to-date as possible.

The wiki is predestinated for such a project since anyone can edit it and various types of content can be embedded. Therefore the content of the guide will reside there:
    Any contribution is welcome no matter whether it's a 30 pages elaborated crafting guide or just a typo fix.

Anything can be part of this guide, for example:
    • a map of a city
    • a single line remark like "there's no mining in Ancient Greece"
    • a picture guide on how to file a support case
    • a youtube video introducing swunting
    • a pdf with the most important items on how to avoid getting scammed
    • images showing interfaces like the auction
    • a written text guide on a 3rd party tool like the inventory calculator
    • etc
    The guide will be organized with a dynamic table of contents in the top right corner of each page belonging to the guide. While it grows further styling will be applied to make the pages of the guide look consistent.

If you have created a guide yourself please consider contributing it to this project instead of letting it carve out a miserable existence in some forum post. If you know someone else who created a guide please ask the person to contribute it to this project.

As long as you don't want to do really fancy stuff wiki editing is as easy as writing forum posts. If you still feel uncomfortable contributing to the wiki directly you can also make contributions in this thread.

Let's create a nice guide that enables a smoother start for new players (and potentially improves retention) and that is a reference for established players.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Brainstormers Official Brain Glue

Looking at the thread headline it sort of feels like this is a guide for Project Entropia which might be a bit out of date.

3. TimUnleashed

TimUnleashed Southern Fortress Engineering

Great initiative Tass, and good luck with it!

4. Great idea! I have several guides I could submit, though I should definitely update/expand some of them first.

This is probably obvious, but how do you create a new article on the wiki?

5. Tass

Tass Administrator

Great!

Creating new pages is indeed fairly easy. There are two major options:

1. You simply add the title of the page to the URL in your browser URL window, fx: www.entropiaplanets.com/wiki/MyGreatGuide and in the next window click the "Create" tab.

2. You use the Wiki Workbench. It has a field to enter the title of the page and a "Create" button.
    A link to the workbench is to be found in the left sidebar under "Navigation".

(Looks a little untidy, that workbench, needs a clean-up soon.)

Generic help how to wiki is available there: Help:Content. And that's also available in the left sidbar under navigation.

Any questions, just ask.

6. Tass

Tass Administrator

The guide is growing!

Next Island granted us permission to integrate their comprehensive official guides.

And there they are: Category:Next Island Official Guides

Many thanks to Next Island, especially Meg and Caitlin!

7. Tass

Tass Administrator

8. Tass

Tass Administrator

Mentoring guide has been added and the EU Glossary is finally integrated.

*wondering whether threads asking for something to give will ever get as many posts as threads offering something to take...*

9. Tass

Tass Administrator

Little sub-project started to make some basic resources availabe for the creating guides.

Goals:
    - Icons of the most skills
    - All icons from the action library
    - Icons for the keyboard

The resources and can be found on the main page of the guide in the section resources: Entropia_Universe_Guide#Resources

Any contributions really appreciated.

10. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

11. Tass

Tass Administrator

12. Tass

Tass Administrator

An automatic log has been added to the guide's main wiki page as well as to post#1 of this thread.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  13. Tass

Tass Administrator

A few categories for instances have been added, as well as a page for the Training Beacon Mission, and the Beacon Missions page has been fully integrated. The latter is too big already, maybe better to split it in pages for each beacon size.

Bring more guides please! ;)

14. if someone want to introduce space, i would really appreciate.
    DC

15. Tass

Tass Administrator

Me too!

I've added
    Unfortunately both a little bit outdated and/or incomplete but maybe an inspiration for someone to update and expand them.

What we could also have are guides for specific '3rd party' tools. ;)

16. Tass

Tass Administrator

*bump*

Revitalising the guide project.

Many guides have been updated and a few hve been added.

In addition some resources to help creating guides have been added too.

If you have a guide or you know someone who has a guide potentially to be added lingering around somewhere please let us know.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Wisker Fish

This is more of a guide to playing? Looks great! :D

Do we have a guide to getting new players into the game when they have difficulties getting it to run?

I see these posts often on EF and most I know how to fix most of them, but it would be nice if there was central place with some good info.

http://www.entropiaforum.com/forum/...-restarting-wont-even-open-client-loader.html

If there is one already then cool, if not.... ;)

18. Tass

Tass Administrator

Yep, it's a guide to playing in best case supporting people even before they have created an account.

It can cover quite everything from "Depositing & Withdrawing" to "SIB Charts" to "Playing instance X" to guides for 3rd party tools like Little Big Mining Log.

Besides the obvious it can incorporate interactive maps, pdfs, rss feeds (MU from EntropiaBay for example), videos uploaded to the wiki or from external sources like youtube, and all kinds of automatically updated wiki formats.

It's editable by everyone, it can contain links to everywhere, it's open source meaning everyone can copy parts of it to everywhere else, it can be displayed without the wiki interface like this (no style applied yet) and there's also an option to display parts of the guide on other websites via RSS or in so called "forum feeds" on forums (not only EP) like this automatically updated SIB chart:

Another idea is to provide resources that help to create guides like images for keys to press, action library icons, skill icons, etc.

Well, I think this is the best possible base for a guide. It simply needs to be filled with content. There's no need to re-invent the wheel if people agree to integrate their already existing guides.

There is no guide for technical difficulties yet but I think that would be a perfect usecase. It all starts with a blank page, maybe "Troubleshooting download and installation"?

EDIT: The shortcut to that future page would be: http://www.entropiaplanets.com/wiki/TS

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Wisker Fish

This is great!! I will try and add some info this weekend.. Ty for the link! :D

20. Tass

Tass Administrator

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.