XP installation CD missing files

Discussion in 'Life, the Universe and Everything' started by Griph, Feb 23, 2009.

Tags:
  1. I decided to format the C drive on my game computer yesterday. But now I am having problems when trying to install Windows XP Professional (SP2) using the installation CD that came with the computer (the CD was never used before, no scratches or dirt on it). When the file copying process begins I start to get messages about missing files. I have tried it many times now, and often (but not always) the first file to fail is cdaudio.sys. If I choose to skip that file it soon fails again on another file.

I have tried copying the content on the CD to another harddrive, no copying error messages there.

I have ran a test on the memory modules, no problems there it seems. Also tried swapping my two memories, using only one and so on, still not working.

Anyone experienced or heard about this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have run out of ideas.

2. That does sound a bit weird. When you say you have copied the content to another HDD did you use the same cd/dvd drive to do it from? If not I would try a different drive. Otherwise you may be able to copy the disk and try an install from the copy.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Did you receive a prompt to insert the 'SP2' disk?
    Some distros offered the chance to insert this disk half way through - the files would then be on THAT disk not on your main windows disk.

If not, is this definitely a 'Windows XP WITH service pack 2' media? I'm assuming it's an OEM media if it came with the PC - is it branded by the vendor? Or is it a 'Genuine windows' disk?

• Like Like x 5
  4. Thanks for taking your time guys, much appreciated :)

Nope it was another cd/dvd drive. I did try to insert another drive to the computer, but it couldn't find it it seems :S I think I might have another drive somewhere, could try that one too.

It is called "Reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2". It also says "Operating system, Already installed on your computer". It came with the computer, and it got the Dell logo stamped on it. Hope that answers.

Would it perhaps work if I use a normal Windows XP CD, not branded by Dell? Was that what you mean?

• Like Like x 4
  5. Anna

Anna Master of the Universe

I think this sounds like its not actual installation CD, more like repair disk, so you will need to have the XP installed before running the disk, which might prove to be a problem :confused:

• Like Like x 5
  6. I have always found the labelling on Microsoft CDs to be at best vague, but I think this is the OS and SP2 disk.

• Like Like x 4
  7. I'd say that's your best way forward. Get a vanilla XP with SP2 disk (OEM) and then use the key on the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) stuck to your computer.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Solved! I tried yet another cd/dvd drive (the second one I tried must have been damaged in some way, it was quite old actually) and the XP installation worked perfectly fine when using that one. I don't know what the problem with the main drive is, it has worked fine with everything until now... It just seems some drives have problems with some CDs? That the Dell cd/dvd drive in this case had problems with a reinstallation CD that came in the same computer package must have been pretty darn unlucky I guess :) Or would Dell have any interest in making it harder to format and reinstall perhaps? ;)

Once again thanks a lot for taking your time helping me out!

• Like Like x 5
  9. Phoenix

Phoenix Esquire

Late reply to this thread... Yes it is the CD Drive's problem... It has happened to me before.

Glad to hear you fixed it Una! :)

PS. If only I had logged in sooner, I'd save you a lot of trouble... :/

• Like Like x 3
  10. It might be possible that the head assembly has a fault where it can't reach the outside edge of the disk. That would kinda explain why it could find some files and not others.

I've seen this before especially with smokers PC's: The worm screw that carries the head keeps picking up dust, which makes it's way toward one end by action of the screw. You get a bunch of nasty, oily lint at one end which either stops the heads going that far, or pulls the heads out of alignment at that end.

You might be able to rescue it - but these days they're so cheap it's gotta be worth having a new 'un.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Good to hear that you got it solved. I have had similar problems too, with backed up and original discs.

Don't toss away the broken drives, there is a 3-phase motor inside of each drive and few 3mm diameter axles. Those parts are probably worth more than drives themselves. Removing them takes some screwdriving and maybe hammering though :>

• Like Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.