What Is Your Opinion

Discussion in 'General Entropia Universe Discussion' started by Bunny, Apr 26, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Bunny

Bunny Vampire Bunny Inc.

I was wondering if anyone besides myself noticed the big difference in the number of HOF's and ATH's given this weekend compared to last weekend when MA was at a convention. It is not usually so blatantly obvious as this and just adds fuel to the ideas that these things are less random then you might think.

This happened a few times before when reporters and TV interviews were being done on CND. Loot would suddenly sky rocket then fall flat after the reporters left LOL. We used to know when and ATH was coming just by the terrible looting before it happened.

Now I know all the stories about loot cycles, dynamics, luck etc., but is it going to get to the point where we should only play to the cameras?? I myself would like to see a totally random loot system.

What is your opinion??

• Like Like x 16
  2. I have had may theories as to how loot is allocated, each time I have tried to play to the current theory it has not panned out. I had not noticed a connection between loot increase and MA being in the public eye but will certainly look out for this in the future :)

I have been playing for nearly two years now (I think but it may be three) the only thing I have noticed it that globals tend to come in bursts. I seem to have a couple of weeks now and again when I get lucky and get good loot and a few globals, after that I get rubbish for months at a time.

If a hunt returned and average of say 80% or more I would be very happy, this is a value for money return but during my rubbish months I frequently get less than 50% returned and often it is in the 20% region, this makes the game very expensive and at times quite depressing. I know I have the option to quit but I have friends here. Hence the continual struggle to find activities that are fun and cheap :).

3. TalkerBot

TalkerBot Forum Pest

Do you still have may theories as to how loot is allocated each time he or she tried to play to the current theory it has not panned out ?Do you still have not noticed a connection between loot increase and MA being in the public eye but will look out for this in the future smileI was playing for two years he or she think but it may be three the thing he or she noticed it that globals tend to come in bursts ?Why are you to have a couple of weeks and when he or she get lucky and get good loot and a few globals after that he or she get rubbish for months at a time.
    Does a hunt returned and average of say 80% or more he or she would be happy this?It may take longer than 33 hours. :-) Who told you that?

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Esquire

I believe MA tampered with the loot cycle during the convention so as to promote EU which is a very logical move by them. That does not mean I agree with that of course. A friend of mine told me once that nothing concerning computers and programming is random. Since the loot depends a lot on the skills someone has then there is no such thing as random loot cycle. Also those exceptions of HoFs for low level players also support this idea, since MA wants to keep players playing. Either a very smart program controls the loot cycle or some people observe the loot and grant globals and HoFs and this is simply their job. Could be both of course. :confused:

Ah well, I lost the context here. Anyway, there is surely something fishy concering the loot... :(

5. TalkerBot

TalkerBot Forum Pest

Just because you believe it doesn't make it true.It goes without saying. What would make it meaningful to you?Male or female friend?Interesting explanation. Is no such thing as random loot cycle also loot depends on the skills someone has then there? All of them?If you could, please tell me what would make it smart.It goes without saying. You seem uncertain.Who is your favorite Science Fiction author?
    What is fishy concering the loot ?

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Esquire

Hmm, you seem to know something about it, eh? 8)

7. Phoenix, I wanted to give you a BIG GRATZ cause I 100% am in agreement with you! GRATZ, GRATZ, GRATZ!!!

8. Everything he said ;)

9. YEA!!!!!!

10. nothing more to add than to point to Phoenix's post

11. First of all, glad to see that eu-chronicle is back on ;) As to the loot thing, I think it is one of those mysteries that will never be solved by anyone outside of MA... Sorry to be negative. I hjave regularly matched my skills to my equipment; i.e either maxed out on, or nearly maxed out on with SIB, but I don't even get globals and I have been playing for some time altogether.
    I think that who does, and who does not get HOFs and ATHs, is a purely arbitary decision on MA staff that are payed to monitor our progress in-world in real-time. Seems absurd - in real time. MA could afford a whole room full of 'game monitor's' on a 24/7 basis out of petty-cash...

12. Kets

Kets Cranky Old EuC Reporter

Most random number generators are based on the system clock or some other such internal device to drive the 'seed' value which is then used by the system to come up with a base value less than one. This base is then increased by some factor by multiplication then rounded off to a predetermined decimal place creating the random number. After the random number is derived, it can then be modified by any number of factors or bits of data to come to the final number.

In the games I had developed, back in the day, this final number would then be used as a lookup in a table for either the prize or loot itself, or a chain of lookups across multiple datatables could proceed to determine the final loot. If the primary table controls the level of final loot, barring any skill, MOB type, MOB size, location, etc modifiers, then it would be a relatively simple process to increase potential loot size, simply by increasing the factor applied to the base value. If this factor were stored in a database table it would be a simple change to modify the value for the purposes of the event and to switch it back afterward to the previous valueprobably through a GUI screen. Additionally, you could vary the average range of loot by the degree of increase or decrease as well.

You wouldn't need a group of monitors watching the players as this would probably cost more than whatever savings MA may acquire by modifying the loot levels.

That way a one second data change would allow MA the ability to set the level anywhere they wanted.

Welcome to the world of software development.

13. So why then, do some participants get huge HOFs and ATHs when others do not, whether it is during some promotional event or not? MA continuously allows us to believe that if you match your equipment to your skills, or as close as possible, that you stand a better chance of getting loot more often, and getting higher value loot when you do get any - but then they contradict this with 'but there is no guarantee.'
    Maybe it is software driven, and not because of a room full of people, but this still wouldn't take into account the random factor or factors as to which AV turns up where, and at which time; but ppl monitoring the game would know who is where and at what time and what mob they've killed, etc. As to the cost factor; wages, etc, well 'big business' often works in mysterious ways. There are many people that would gladly work for a company like MA for free just to get the experience of using what must be some of the latest hi-tech equipment, maybe not for ever, but certainly for a probationary period.

14. TalkerBot

TalkerBot Forum Pest

I was not able to connect to my database. Please try again later.

15. Phoenix

Phoenix Esquire

As far as it concerns the higher value loot, I think that this is the case. I remember when I hunted with my Enblade-A at Argonauts I always got loot barely enough or less to cover the repair cost of the blade. When I switched to the Valor, the loot greatly improved but still it was just enough to cover the repair costs. So in one part, MA is right on this.

As for having to monitor every single participant, that is not necessary. A program records the participant's actions and then MA observes the statistics over a period (perhaps a month) and then rewards them or not. It might be as simple as that. Just a speculation of course ;)

16. Well well some things never change*lol* an ol' fashion "does MA control the loot thread"
    Since i love conspiracy theories i will add some of my ideas into this :D

The answer to Bunnys original question is YES, there is a long traditions of spectular loots while TV Cameras are on or MA is om promotion tour, for you who still remember Leeloos fantastic zinc ATH also rememer that it happend while MA promoted their new Spacestation and Media focus was on top ;)

One thing you all seems to have missed (in this thread) is that loot is very much related to the amount of your deposits. The deeper you are involved the higher chance of big loot.
    Imho skills only defines the chance of getting valuable items, a noob will never loot a shadow armor but with alot of luck he/she can get at ath.

Finally you all seen the fantastic rows of crafting HOF's or huge hunting HOF's by so called "uber players", the almost allways comes after long strikes for loosing. So the total outcome might still be a loss..

Having said all this, i still love to play :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. TalkerBot

TalkerBot Forum Pest

I was not able to connect to my database. Please try again later.

18. So, anyone know when MA are next in the public eye? Seems it's the one thing worth knowing :).

19. Yes, Bunny, I have also noticed an increase in big hits when EU is being exposed to the public. I have no doubts they control this in some way, and I understand it. We can't do much about it really, we have all agreed to the fact that MA can do basically whatever they like (as we accept the EULA everytime we play). I say just play along and try to benefit from it yourself ;) Next time it might be you that hit this big one.

Speaking from my own experience, and also after have been talking to some other players, I really don't think the amount of deposits and skills have a direct impact on the loot. I have deposited once, I put in 500-600 PED, and I have both had a 8.8k HoF and looted Angel shins for example. I would not call me particularly skilled either at close to lvl 30. However, I guess I have been extremely lucky and this is far from the return the average player will get, but I'm just saying that it is possible without big deposits and loads of skills. In my opinion skills only affect how efficiently you can use your gear, and therefore giving a better chance of getting a positive return (by cutting the losses).

I agree with you on that a big HoF often might come after a quite bad period. After reading a lot of players' stories, I think loot does seem to be affected (in many cases) by how much you have lost/earned before. I guess all players (in average of course) will get the same result in the long run, only in different ways. Besides, this average player result is probably also a slight loss, as MA is a business trying to earn money. Therefore market value is extremely important, if you sell everything you get to TT you will most definitely not profit in the long run. As I have said before; play against other players, not against the game.

This is what I think... ;)

• Like Like x 2
  20. I agree with you all but i have a slightly larger theory on luck. I believe that there is real luck as in RL luck of something but in game there are skills like serendipity that have LUCK written all over them. Is a coincidence that just before the serendipity skill is unlocked most go on uber streaks of globals, and HOF's? I dont think so. I think that because the previous LUCK skill is getting high and its not divided between that and serendipity your average luck level is huge. Thus you get phenominal loots. Makes you wonder how this translates to all other skills also. Is it worth getting new skills or is it MA's way of rebalancing periodically.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.