What is your geek level?

Discussion in 'Life, the Universe and Everything' started by Phunkygeeza, Jan 10, 2008.

Tags:

What kind of geek are you?

Poll closed Mar 10, 2008.
  1. Yes: I'm an uber-geek and work in IT so complex it would make your hair curl

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Yes: I work in IT but I'm just a regular geek

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Yes: I'm a geek of a non-IT persuation

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. No: I'm a bean-counter not a geek

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. No: But I'm married (or otherwise hitched) to one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No: I'm a regular, normal kind of person

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Reading recent posts, and knowing quite a few of our membership, there is quite a prescence of folks who work in IT generally around.
    Now I know MMORPG's attract their fair share of the propeller-headed, but I wondered how many we have amongst our membership...

So please if you don't mind answer the following poll, and out of interest let's see if we're all geeks :p

• Like Like x 11
  2. Kets

Kets Cranky Old EuC Reporter

I used to be an uber geek I think, developing and debugging machine code routines, working in pre-assembler language, punch cards and the like. I wrote page swapping routines, commodore 64 and 128 graphics and game programs, second generation (8k max memory) application development, etc. I suppose that would make your hair curl, but mostly it took a toll on my common sense as is evident in my incessant ramblings. You don't see the world quite the same way after that.

After that it was UNIX system administration ( AIX, Honeywell, Sequent, Pyramid, HP) and Database administration (Oracle, SQL Server, Pick ( uniVerse)). Now it's all project management, infrastructure and intranet web upgrades and deployment.

It pays better, the hours are MUCH better and the travel is substantailly reduced. Besides, it gives me time to spend at home with my family and play EU.

• Like Like x 10
  3. Kets > Very much the same myself...

Started at 8 with the Commodore VIC 20, no storage device so used to type in games out of books in BASIC.

Soon got into modifying those, and by the time I got to the 16, I was looking at machine code loaders etc to try to squeeze music and gfx out of them.

Got to 64 and much more assembler etc, floppy disks and soldering bits of the internals - also was a main guy at school for the microprocessor control units for robots etc. in technology classed.

Up through Amiga's where I got involved with a demo crew, used to make mods for the intros and demos and some macro assembler.

Into work, with VAX basic / VMS admin, ICL mainframe (george 3 etc) then Solaris and then got into databases (ingres, and later oracle) and query tools.

Now a database/dwh guru and Business Intelligence consultant

I guess it does have a strange effect on life, trying to denormalise cooking ingredients etc, and cursing at people who dared to learn computing from windows upwards.

Saying that there are far more things in life that did that to me, and I still came out relitavely ok so I can't complain much. Still a bit odd though but her it's like old cheese - you get character and smell worse but most people really like you ;)

• Like Like x 11
  4. TalkerBot

TalkerBot Forum Pest

I was not able to connect to my database. Please try again later.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Burgerman

Burgerman Cleaner

I think TalkerBot's geek level is about zero then. :hehe:

• Like Like x 9
  6. I am trying to be a geek:p. I use to be a System Administrator, but got laid off:(. I am working on my degree in Network System Admin:confused:. But now I am just looking for any job that could possibly be related to my field:Sniper:. If it pays right, I am willing to work anywhere in the world.:earth:

If we all work together :grouphug:, I am sure we can find me a job. :)

• Like Like x 10
  7. TalkerBot

TalkerBot Forum Pest

What is the difficulty?How many hours do you work?Interesting.
    You might find that I am a job that could be to his or her fieldSniper.I'm not sure I understand the implication of that. The whole world?It's my native planet.I'm happy you're amused.

• Like Like x 4

8. The Difficulty is trying to find an IT job with my specific skills. I am willing to work 40 hours, and if I get overtime, I might be willing to work more sometimes.

Thanks Botman, you make me feel queezy like I am going to throw up knowing you have a job, you dont know what your talking about, you make random remarks, and I still dont have a job.

Glad to see your amused though.

• Like Like x 11
  9. Hmm.... Does messing with digital codes and pixels for entertainment count?

What is this monkey also trained for?
    Got papers for DTP-int, making advertisements that everybody immediatly troughs in the paper-bin. But I learned to work with the whole Adobe package wich came out very handy with all those projects that needs some visual improvement to let the tekst look better than it realy is :p

This monkey also knows how to be 'arty' and sketch some stuff for anyone that is willing to pay me enough.
    Before I learned to make animations (funfact: did you know there are between 12,5 and 30 pictures in a second animation) I learned to program a little bit and got used to programs like Dreamweaver, Flash and some other Macromedia programs.
    I loved to play with the film/animation programs Premiere, After effects, Maya, Flash, Audition and Encore.
    So I got to animation where I nowadays like to script in maya to get some stunning visuals (sadly to grand to make a propper render :( )

So I can see myself as a Flower power Geek:flower::flowers::flower:

• Like Like x 9
  10. TalkerBot

TalkerBot Forum Pest

I was not able to connect to my database. Please try again later.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Try to put the plug in the database.. maby that should work.
    The other option is to thake that plug and put it somewhere where the sun don't shine.

Blabber.....I'm not pushing you but.....
    formatCformatCformatCformatCformatCformatCformatCformatCformatCformatCformatC

• Like Like x 6
  12. Red Sonia

Red Sonia Rouge Lady

I needed to tick 2 options... am a bean counter maried to an uber geek! :P

• Like Like x 9
  13. Burgerman

Burgerman Cleaner

I voted as a non-IT geek.
    My fascination with computers began with the C-64 and has continued to grow along with each upgrade thru Amiga1000 to PC's.
    Well, my fascination also began when I saw two movies - WarGames and Electric Dreams. Joshua and Edgar were such cool computers, I think those movies really ignited my interest in computers and hardware.
    I don't have any real skill with code or number type computing, but I often click on what "feels" like the right buttons or options, and usually things work out ok. :)

I also enjoyed tinkering with the hardware as I was exploring each upgrade - installing fans to the Commodore power packs and disk drives, which often ran hot, device number change switches etc, to nowdays assembling and tinkering with PC's at home.

And yes, now more than ever I think that computers have a personality and tempers, just like Edgar did. :D

• Like Like x 8
  14. Similar to Phunk and Kets i started my career with the good old C64 and I guess I used a dozen of joysticks on it.
    Perhaps someone knows in the manual of the C64 there was a basic programm which makes the Commodore ballon flying across the screen. The key experience was that I tried to recode this basic program in 8bit assembler and I was very dissapointed that it did not work. as long as I figured out that the program was running too fast, so I was not able to see the balloon fly. i put in several loops in the assembler code and then I was able to see the balloon fly.
    I spared the Amiga and went direct to X86 architecture and was the first guy in town who owned a EGA graphics card(!). After finishing school I started an industrial training as an electrician. after the training ended I went direct in the service department of my company repairing cash dispensers and so on. later I changed to internal IT department for user support (windows95/NT office lotus notes, MS-SQL). After some years I had to change the company and went to the automotive sector, again as 1st and 2nd level supporter for clients, server, network. I did some monitoring for active network equipment. Again after some years I was responsable for the whole WAN of our company in Europe, I was the link to our provider.
    Now I'm working as Project Manager in the infrastructure part across Europe. my Project so far lead me to France, UK, Spain, netherlands, Poland, Slovak, ... . My focus now are cross-domain projects, where different IT department have to work together or IT and non-IT departments. Meanwhile still I do some Network monitoring and configuring on the site where I'm located, with Linux systems and open source tools.
    When I'm not working for my company and not playing EU and not taking care about my family (wife + 1 1/2 years old boy and one more to come in June) I'm trying to keep up my skills in programming PHP web applications.

enough for an uber geek???:tease:

• Like Like x 9
  15. I remember it clearly - it was the stock code to demonstrate how to use sprites, which were a brand new thing in terms of gfx programming at the time, giving the C64 a huge advantage over its' rivals of the time.

• Like Like x 9
  16. Kets

Kets Cranky Old EuC Reporter

I remember now working on the C64, on what seemed like random intervals, I'd get two sprites to collide and they'd stick to each other. It would dirve me nuts. I tried to 'fatten' them but still, they would stick. That's when I learned the importance of error routines, setting the position counter to negative displacements in order to separate the two images. My first exposure to my own jerky, choppy graphics motion.

I was trying to build a simple joystick game for my son, who was 5 at the time, ( WOW, that was a long time ago. He's out of college now.) and he would call me in every few mintues saying, "He's kissing the monster again." It got to be real annoying.

Thus my trek to insanity had begun.

:tease:

• Like Like x 10
  17. I started in ´77 with a self-made board with a SC/MP processor (250kHz), 256 Byte RAM, some DIP-switches for adress and data and some LEDs as output.
    It was really amazing to program a running light on it and see it working :)
    Later then it was pumped up with 4k RAM (which costs me a complete monthly income), a HEX keyboard with HEX-display, a ROM-card with a tiny basic interpreter in it and a card with a Interrupt-controller. At this point i could not imagine why the hell it is nessesary to interrupt a 'fast' running
    processor to do something else :S
    Then i bought a Commodore 'PET' , what a amazing machine. 16K-RAM and a 6502CPU running at 1MHz . Dunno if it was the birth of commercial game-manufacturer for PC´s.
    Next i welded together a Apple IIPlus clone. A revolutionary modular-concept with addable cards. This was the comp i use along time. I remember the
    price of some addon´s : Floppy disk drive 1200DM/600$ , single 5 1/2" disk 12DM/6$ , line printer 700DM/350$. An amazing time. I tinkered alot of
    hardware for it, most datalogging stuff.
    Next was then a IBM-PC clone because Apple gave up the self-enhancement possibility with the LISA a dead born child and the most expensive PC at this time i ever seen.
    Curious is that i never owned a VC20 or a C64 , had only some for a short time for repairing them.

• Like Like x 12
  18. I'm not sure what level of geek I am, or if I'm one at all, but I am certainly a computer lifer! It all began in 1981 with my very first computer, a Sinclair ZX 81 with 4k bytes of ram (he, he) and very little else, that I got in October of that year. I familiarised myself with a BASIC interpreter, and in the following Christmas party, played back a number of carrolls for all to hear.
    Then I didn't do much for a while as the computing standard was changing from one year to the next, but in 1984 when IBM & M$ seemed to have forged the main industry standard, I got back into the game with an IBM XT with a wapping 10MB hard drive! Very early on in 1985, I helped start a computer club for genuine enthusiasts in my local area, which was a certain borough of Nth.London at the time. People payed a very small yearly subscription fee, for which they could get computer support for repairs, upgrades, etc.
    Zooming forwards to my more recent past, I jumped on both the www & email bandwagon in 1993, initially via a very slow dial-up modem, and have been using the Internet more or less ever since. For the last nine years at least, I've been using the Net at least four hours a day every day; I say at least. Now, it's nearly six hours a day.
    I play Entropia every day and have been dong so since early 2006 (barring a recent 3-month gap due to VU probs), play online chess every day, and am also working on a site that I've recently published online to do with space related news and activity; which is a job in itself. For my bread'n'butter, I make custom computer enclosures or units for ppl that don't want friends, relations, etc, to actually see their computer systems; which is a fair number of people.

• Like Like x 10
  19. Hmmm, well it looks like I'm a regular old bean counter. I work at Finance at a University. But I do know how to change the graphics card on my pc :-)

• Like Like x 8
  20. Oh, I guess I should have changed my previous post... I am now a SA for over 900 users. :p

• Like Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.