What Games did you get at Christmas? (aka the Steam Christmas Sale Thread)

Discussion in 'Other games and gaming' started by Wistrel, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I picked up this one. Not too far into it yet but so far loving what I see. Admittedly some faff required to get it working right (it's old) but I'm down to only 2 nerks now which I'm hoping I can live with (fingers crossed).

What I'm liking so far is the nice flow, the setting, the characters and the fact that it reminds me a little of old Net-immerse PE. Something I'm PARTICULARLY liking is that I'm getting paid to carry out my favourite in game hobby - walking around and taking photos of the local scenery (ok species in this case). Rather like that when you point the camera at the sky, it points out systems and constellations - a really nice feature that didn't have to be there but just gives you that warm feeling.

edit: Oh forgot to mention my absolute FAVOURITE bit. Some years ago I wrote a story where I went to particular trouble to document how we carry stuff round in Entropia using a Portable Atomic Compression Unit. Well this game did exactly the same thing, even to the point that the PACU is something you carry round with you and it shows an animation of an item being scanned into it. Magic Detail!!

So, what did everyone else get?

[​IMG]

2. dang it... last day that the overwatch is on sale... tempted... tempted... but must resist

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Assassin's Creed Origins and Skyrim VR. Both breathtaking. Each in its own way.
    (I don't like Steam)

4. RIMWORLD

Brings out the worse instincts in me...in a good way lol

Started out as your basic colony and resource management game...Try to survive on hostile planet and follow tech progression tree to evolve.

100+ hrs in i find myself having corned the human organ & drug market of the universe. My settlement is now more of a prison-hospital colony than anything else.

No idea how it all happened but i'm having a blast!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ordered parts for a new gaming PC and should get it built by the end of the month.

Going to try Skyrim, a game I’d never heard of until reading this forum.

Maybe one of the new games to be launched this year.

Anything that doesn’t need me to regularly throw hundreds of dollars at it to have fun basically. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

I bought some stuff on GOG. A collection of LucasArts adventures, and a collection of X-Wing games. Seeing they were giving away free games if you spent a certain amount, I also added a few other games to be eligible for the free ones :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

http://scummvm.org/

8. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Oh, I know that :) I probably already own every LA game multiple times, but needed to get the bundle, just in case I'd ever somehow loose them. I have a bunch of old games burnt onto a single CD a bunch of mates and me made back in 1993 or so. And CDs with bundles and collections of old games (purchased). And games in Steam. And Gog.

What can I say? I'm a hoarder.

9. I love the look of this game but as others point out depends upon how combat and gameplay turn out:

10. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I don't like it either TBH. But... as irritating as the software is, the service is good. Hope you enjoy ButtButtin's Creed :D

(My housemate used to shout BUTTBUTTINATE! quite regularly when playing the older games - always got a smirk)

11. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I always intended to try beneath a steel sky one day. I remember reading about it in the 90s.

12. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Steam is shocking for that. I heard a stat a while back about how many purchased games have never been played. Funnily enough I actually added over a £100 worth of games from my wishlist to my basket then tried the "Will I have time to play it before the Steam Sale next year where it will likely be even cheaper" test and got the outlay down to £13.

So 2nd new game I tried out last night was Sublevel Zero. Had an absolute blast with dual joysticks*. Not tried VR yet but might get to that tonight if I can motivate myself to yoink it out of the box and face that mess of wires. Seems like the Devs have really gone to town on trying to make it "not vomit inducing". Was rather interested to watch this video as it seems like they've really delved into the research on the techniques that have been proposed for dealing with it. I'm hoping I'll be ok and won't need all the extra adjustments aside from normal the cockpit view. I'll let you know.

In another note, can you imagine one of MA's dev's doing a 20 mins play and discuss of their work on Entropia :D

*still not quite worked out what to do about the vertical axis though... twisting the left stick just seems wrong somehow.

13. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

I can get you a copy of it if you need it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tass

Tass Administrator

15. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

No sound on that trailer? Thanks both of you. I've just claimed the first code - note there is an imposter on GOG - I couldn't claim Wistrel or Wisty - boo! If could be I've signed up before but I couldn't seem to get any of my old emails to be recognised so maybe not... can't think that I ever had occasion to get a GOG account before though anyhow.

Wistrel

16. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Nothing shady about it. I own it on gog, and on good old CD. I have the same "problem" with a number of the older LucasArts and Sierra games, where I owned the games on CD already, and then bought them on either Stean, Gog, Humble Bundle or other media.

17. I myself didn't get much of anything other than a Google Home Mini and LOVING it!

18. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Not bad. I had a lot of old CD-archives as well. Especially from my own works. Until 2014. That was the time to check them all and store it's content somewhere else. And TADAHHH! I couldn't read ~30% of the content. Cheap CDs even, old formats. Latest since than my motto is: "Everything is ephemeral. Including me." No worries. I started with LucasArts adventures in 1986 or something around it I think. On a Commodore C64. THIS WAS REALLY A GREAT TIME! :cool (2):

19. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

So managed to get the VR working ok on Sub-level Zero. Was good fun. Loved being able to look around. Have now started on my next purchase which was cheap visual novel called: Dysfunctional Systems - Learning to Manage Chaos. I have to admit a large part of my reasoning for buying it was because the main character reminded me of old School Wistrel from pre vu 9 days. Check out this fan art, you will probably see what I mean. Not too far in but seems to have started with a rather interesting concept - will be intrigued to see where it goes.

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.