Virtuverse

Discussion in 'Other games and gaming' started by BruuD, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Tass

Tass Administrator

And that's one of the most important points, as soon as they become a real competitor to anyone they probably will be destroyed. Offering gambling but avoidung any regulations, offering shares but avoiding any regulations, there are just too many weak points. I'd almost bet they're wondering themselves how long this actually worked so well. At least they had plenty of time to refine plan B just in case someone takes notice of the current business model ;)

Btw, it wasn't always like this, in 2002 Microsoft had 70 marshals raiding MA's office because they saw Project Entropia as a serious competitor for their Asheron's Call and were jealous that "the Project Entropia site immediately became the world’s largest site on the Internet even beating Yahoo, MSN, etc." - http://www.entropiaplanets.com/thre...d-by-70-marshals-demanded-by-microsoft.18551/

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Another year, another clone.

What else did you expect ?
    Let those young boys create their dream and learn form it. ;)

Do some google research, before getting all excited'n stuff though...use their "names" *lol*...titles...the words they use...done.

All beeing gamers at their heart and...of course this WONT be the next big crypto-Entropia-clone.
    And while you already know that deep in your heart...you will try just another clone of a niche product...
    should it ever hit the daylight, that is.

Remember, other Entropians have started various Entropia clones before.
    They all have failed, the product never arrived or they lost tons of time and money....if they didnt scam you as an investor in the 1st place. Only our 2 friends from "Project Ion" wont give up (yet). ;)

Sure, I have met many "oldskool" Entropians in the clones back then...but they all dissapeared fast.
    One will not simply grab the hardcore investors from Entropia, with simple clones of this niche product.

In todays world you get rich as a "developer", by releasing fucking bullshit like "Coin Master", throwing all of your investors money at fucked up commercials using "well known faces" of the realworld...while you keep paying for a game...thats not even a game...recieving no further development. Hillarious.

But it works and it just shows, how much games turned into a gigantic scam machinery...beeing unstoppable, throwing up remakes of remakes of remakes...asking 3$ here...asking 10$ there...none of the games beeing worth that amount of money.

Honestly, Im waiting for the next big Mindark PR gag (lie), followed by the next gigantic fail...thats always entertaining...and its free "fun". ;)

p.s.
    Anyone invested into MindArks "Green Fund Finance Sweden AB" already ?
    Please share your ROI experience here with us, lol.

@Tass
    We all know why the got raided. We all know Benny Iggland stepped forward, claiming he would sue Microsoft and use the millions of $ they would "win" at court for treasure hunts ingame and...ooops, that never happened...it immediately became silent around this raid. No interviews, no court results etc. Because it was simple PR gag bulshitting, like every time Mindark announces something.

I think we can agree, that Microsoft wasnt just jealous about some made up numbers, coming from a glitchy game from sweden. Asherons Call "failed" after 17 years, was subscription based and had more users and made more money. But hey, shit happens.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  3. Damn, you smash our dreams again. :smile:
    Project Ion, tried that one for 2 days, didn't liked it, think 4 or 5 years ago, if my brains aren't fried yet.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

You go your way, I'll go mine. Sure indeed it's a lot of work to get something like this done. But unlike Pion it looks like they have a year of solid full time development behind them, an alpha due next month with actual systems in place, a world that already looks comparable to Entropia and some staff and enough of them to cover the main bases (programmers, 3d artists, level designers, game designers, 2d artist, sound designers, musician, writer etc etc). I hung out in the chat last night and couldn't see anyone who had a silly corporate name that implied they didn't actually do anything. They struck me as a decent bunch, busy getting shit done. While they were all in a meeting most of the time, they said hello and answered a few questions and stuff after. They have no plans to take cash off people during the alpha either. I think in all I saw more coms, openness and organisation around capturing community feedback from them last night than I've seen in Entropia in 14 years.

As you say, excitement isn't the word. But I'll defo give them that they are interesting to follow along with, for better or worse. I guess it depends on what sort of things interest you. For me, it could be fun to watch along or get involved given time/opportunities or how it works out. Others have no interest in such things though and only want to see/play a completed game (understandable - I feel that way about some of my kickstarters I've backed i.e "just call me in 8 years when you've finished OK?").

5. Worryingly yes.

I think it was partly the music.

Milder effect than original PE soundtrack that must surely have contained subliminal messages that hypnotise you into becoming a mindless slave to the game.

But watching that short video, for the first time in yonks, I wanted to be in that sequence and get some game action.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. To each their own.

But I wasted 15 years on this MMO. This wont happen again, just because another simple clone shows up. Seriously. @_q

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. I received the Mail yesterday, seems that you need to join discord to get a downloadlink.
    I have a discord account, but never use it, so it's not installed.
    Looks like i'm going to wait till they release it, let's see how long that will take. :smile:

Same feeling here also, never going to spend that much time again.
    I might throw a few $ in this new clown uhhh clone, to see how it is, in future.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  8. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

yeh you say that ;) Well who knows. I think for me it will depend on their writer and how much it is about what they are trying rather than how much they can make from it.

PS https://virtuverse.io/video/VirtuverseProgress.mp4 also https://trello.com/b/EayTyXmW/virtuverse and https://soundcloud.com/virtuverse/launcher-main-theme-by-wouter-meijer

9. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

I was nine years only part of PE/EU. And this wasn't by far a waste of time. Vice versa. It saved my arse when I was down in RL. Like for every medicine one should stop consuming it when cured. I did exactly this in 2014. I am back at life since nearly five years. I don't need any other medicine.

But it's interesting when another company setteled in Gothenburg pops up with an EU-clone. Let's have an eye on what'll happen. At least PE/EU was an important part of my life. Currently 13,8%.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

13.8% I'll take that figure. I'm dimly expecting the alpha to show up in time for autumn.

11. it is going to be subscription based.

`When a player subscribes to Virtuverse, they will receive a monthly credit to their account balance.
    These credits can be withdrawn back to real world money at any time - at the same conversion rate they were bought with. `

12. I did a quick shallow read a few days ago and did notice this also.
    I think I also did read that you can earn credits, so basicly making some money.

And it depends how this is supposed to work, will be a deal or deal breaker for me.

13. https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=16490003

This is what they have now. Unsure if this is what they have in mind for the final game.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. For me not a complete waste coz had lots of fun in the PE and even in the early EU years.

But...spent a stupid amount of money due to personal stupidity and naively believing MindArk’s propaganda.

That’s probably McCormick alpha testing to get some unique Uber items.

15. Hmmm that’s enough to put me off .

Right away guys with money to burn will get the best start (again).

Too hot for me. I’m out.

16. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

ROFL! $15 per month to make an in-game name? Seriously? Sounds promising! Or $100 per months to design a weapon? Breathtaking!
    I assume it would cost me $1000 per month to place an apartment tower there ...

Seems they smoke really strange stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Patreon is not the way I wanna go, so I have to skipp this one. [​IMG]

Time will tell.

18. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Some people have done for the smallest of the backers you can see them in the chat thing. But indeed it's silly.

"Please pay us $100 per month and in return we'll take your highly sought after skills and use them to create content for our product which may never actually happen"

"Please pay us $15 per month and we'll reserve an avatar name for you in our product that may actually never happen"

Next time I see them I might ask them how they sleep at night.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. narfi

narfi Lost

Looks like they were careful with a disclaimer to start with, so probably sleep ok?

20. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Ah I did wonder if that may have been the case (i.e. some folks requested something). Even so... on content, I'd hate to think the only way to contribute would be to pay them for the "privilege". I'd like to hope it would be more of a "show us what you can do" and if your skills fit, we'll see where you can help". Although I appreciate that even managing that much might be a time undertaking they don't have the luxury for yet with a small team.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.