Virtual Spaceships Sell For Over $25,000 Real-World Bucks

Discussion in 'ROCKtropia' started by NotAdmin, Jun 28, 2011.

1. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

This just hot off the press:

Source: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/61009/Virtual-Spaceships-Sell-For-Over-25-000-Real-World-Bucks

2. WOW, ND with a vengeance :giggle:

I wonder how he will decide if a person is an ND hater or not.

This will be interesting !

3. FatherJack

FatherJack El Diablo

I'll 1 v 1 him in Eve Online and kick his bad haircut back to the stone age. Unfortunately I don't have 9 grand spare to 1 v 1 him in Entropia!

(ninja edit) ps I don't actually hate him, I just think he's an annoying twat

4. Norbert

Norbert Cartoon Head

Nevernoodle who?

5. narfi

narfi Lost

I read somewhere yesterday that the equivelant of motherships in Eve also cost around 9000usd, is this true?

narfi

6. FatherJack

FatherJack El Diablo

No, a mothership hull (Nyx/Aeon/Wyvern/Hel) costs around 15 billion ISK which is easily grinded through ingame means - it takes time and is boring as hell but not impossible by any means.

If your the impatient type you *could* RMT a max skilled mothership character and hull/modules via a well known dodgy site (not providing the link) but you run the risk of a hilarious comedy explosion (because you don't know what the hell you are doing), the banstick from GM's for EULA violation, or a hacked account as the RMT trade is heavily involved in criminal activity

7. Tass

Tass Administrator

Ok, I didn't play and checked forums ~1 hour this year, quite likely I missed a lot. But are private avatars of EU professionals really 'legal' now?

8. aridash

aridash large throbbing member

the "look stuff cost $$$$" marketing ship sailed a few years ago. it puts more people off then attracts them, especially on game related sites.

• Like Like x 1
  9. narfi

narfi Lost

Here is the chart that was shown yesterday, I cant find the thread it was in though.

[​IMG]

10. FatherJack

FatherJack El Diablo

I assume they are talking Time Card and Plex funding which I totally forgot about :doh: much more expensive than RMT but no chance of a ban/hack. Comedy explosions still apply :D

11. narfi

narfi Lost

So they are similar in price then? just making sure I understand you correctly. (i dont really care about skill/knowledge since that would be applicable in either game)

12. FatherJack

FatherJack El Diablo

I'm not that current on prices of ships and modules at the moment as I am winding down my affairs in Eve, but you could just search yourself for an RMT site in Google with an isolated browser like OffByOne and add a grand or so onto their prices, in general Plex/GTCs are a little more expensive (but safer) than RMT but for that extra cost you do get safeguards

13. Calin

Calin Due for an Ultra-Uber Loot.

He could just choose random targets since he's then likely to be targeting a hater.

14. Mates, we're really mixing up stuff here and it could turn out to be a mess...

I've played EVE more than I've played EU, and started with EVE long before I ever heard of 'Entropia Project'. Also, I've had several simultaneous EVE accounts, while I'm only allowed one in EU; hence, you could consider my 'play time' in EVE far greater than anyone else's possible play time in the same years.

I've payed for most of my EVE play time by buying codes from other players (PLEX, Pilot License Extensions in the most recent years). I've also lived in different nullsec regions and even wormhole space. Three of my characters can fly capitals (Gallente, Amarr and Minmatar and another one was close to fly Caldari carriers). By the way, one of my characters could build capital ships. And let's not forget that in EVE one ship is controlled by one single player. No crew.
    I'm not an active EVE player at the moment (not enough time for the game and even less for Corp/Alliance dynamics).

Now that you know this, and taking into account I'm both an EU player and a humble Planet Partner...

EU motherships can't be compared to EVE motherships. If you check the EVE wiki carriers page, you'll see two ships per faction, where the small one is the carrier and the big one is the mothership. Cruisers, battlecruisers and battleships can dock and be stored inside them. The 'small' Amarr carrier in over three kilometers long. Period.
    Those (EVE's) are closer to the Homeworld mothership than to EU ones. The EU 'mothership' convention naming could come from the fact they can house so called lesser craft; this would make perfect sense.

Money-wise, there are no auctions in EVE where the company making the game offers ships. Nor equipment, implants, drugs, whatever. If a player wants a given ship, he can go to player-created auctions, NPC-ran shops (including the Loyalty Point Stores) or try and build the ship(s). For building, a player can buy a BPO (Original Blueprint) and research it to improve its efficiency, or he can buy an improved BPC (Blueprint Copy) from other players who have previously researched their originals. Then this player can mine raw materials and refine them, or he can also buy refined materials from other players. For capital ships, players build modules/subsystems with the appropriate blueprints... and then use those modules/subsystems with the capital ship blueprint for actually building the capital ship, be it a carrier, a dreadnought, a mothership or a titan. As you can imagine, this is a multi-billion ISK operation which is usually conducted by Alliances (say, groups of Societies). It can take months for an Alliance to build a mothership. And I'm not talking about the sovereignty needed to anchor and operate the structures needed to build capital ships...

Now, it's not a matter of how many dollars equal one PED or one ISK. Nope.
    I won't discuss EULA-breaking methods (EVE), and in any case their pricings don't necessarily reveal the worth or value of the ships sold for real money. I'm aware of situations where several characters stole the whole inventory of the corporation they belonged to, and tried selling those wares (eBay?) afterwards; those prices didn't reflect the effort put into obtaining those wares, as you can imagine.

The amount of time and skill level of the characters mining, refining, hauling, defending, conquering and ultimately building the capital ships should be taken into account and still we couldn't derive a precise amount of money, much less a value/worth ratio. And then, for two very different concepts of 'mothership' in two very different games.

Now, back to EU motherships exclusively...
    I've followed the link to the site originally posting this... news. I've read the comments (hiya, Narfi!).
    VE3D is not a 'channel' I follow (been there maybe twice before this one). So I guess the amount of money spent on 'internet spacechips' (pun intended) caught someone else's eye. Shame there's still people out there with the scam-conspiracy theory. Anyway, I've seen two relevant questions there:

1.- Is the origin of this post somehow a 'paid avertisement' coming from some other website...?
    (Innocent, open-minded question)

2.- Who's paying this much for this ships?
    I mean, short-long term goals, investing for re-selling later on, aiming at trading, preparing for things to come... Even the 'just coz I like ships' kind, I guess no-one spends that much in such a virtual asset without at least one clear reason. I haven't been following the forums lately, so I'm not sure if the (other) mommy owners have stated their intentions and plans. Have they?

Just in case, I think this is more a General or Space thread than Rocktropia-only.

And now... back to work. I'll be back as soon as I can ;)

(I've ended up with quite a long post, written every now an then between doing this and that. Geez...)

15. Ordaz, just a sidenote, you mentioned Homeworld which is a magnificent game, but I think you should be refererring to Freespace where the capital ships are many magnitudes larger than the puny ship you are usually in.

16. Aye, Torschen. My point bringing up the Homeword mothership was because of the role differences (EU/HW).

Maybe a too subtle clue for having crafting benches in EU's motherships...

(I do insist: I LOVE Freespace!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.