1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virtual Reality and AI? - next challenge for a retiree

Discussion in 'Life, the Universe and Everything' started by Jamira, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Yes but my license for SolidWorks has expired. So I don't know exactly what the SW files contain. I found two folders with SW data. Probably you'll find a lot of double geometry because I worked with different trials. Just check it:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eUERQOOpu46MEvqtOxvhdYqn_1sCd-F7/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-dyNBpaLSWr2XbXQodaJAUGw9wlfk8Kc
    Since it was meant for 3D-print (STL) I switched to Rhino soon. Especially because I wanted to build the body from the grabbed model. That wasn't a job for SolidWorks but for Rhino.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  2. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Oha, the guy with the uboat model answered. He asked for mail contact to talk about details. Let's see ...

Parallel I went back to another old project:
    Jamira's ship. It's a flying ship, 12 meters long
    upload_2019-8-14_3-32-42.
    with kind of antigrav engine at its bottom
    upload_2019-8-14_3-40-18.
    To tell the truth it was original a glass panel for a car from Ford during the nineties ... 25 years ago ;-)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  3. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Be insteresting to see how this evolves... I have no idea where you are going with it!

Wistrel

PS thanks will check the files and see if there is anything I can do to import. What is the difference between solid works and Rhino incidentally?

4. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

There are two main differences:
    SW is a solid modeler, Rhino a surface modeler and SW is parametric, Rhino isn't.
    The big advantage of Rhino is that it can handle polygons, even very large polygons. Good for 3D print and VR.

5. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

HURRAH!
    I will get the U-boat model. For free. It's not finished yet and the starboard side will miss several elements because it is the cutaway side. Doesn't matter much. I can complete it by myself. Even better than do everything from the scratch. And I doubt I would have been patient enough to model all the details like he did:
    upload_2019-8-15_20-53-50.
    upload_2019-8-15_20-56-13. upload_2019-8-15_20-56-58.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Now I have to learn to bring a bit interactivity to the model. It seems to be easier in SimLab. But the SimLab renderer isn't very good. And such actions like drive a vehicle needs another version wich is more expensive. That's better in Unity. And Unity is for free as long as I earn less than $100.000 per year. LOL!

If it works I will make another U-boat for VR: Wilhelm Bauer's "Brandtaucher" (1851). Wasn't really a success. But Bauer's concept was good. He just couldn't build the boat he wanted and it sunk at the first attempt. Too sad. But the original boat was salvaged and can be viewed in Dresden:
    upload_2019-8-15_23-1-22.
    If all this turns out to good VR-experiance I will have a look for a partner to bring a VR history of U-boats online.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Next would be to start another section at Wikipedia: The Virtual Museum.

I am a mechanical engineer and had several moments to notice astonishing machines of any kind from history. CSS Hunley, Wright brothers, Graf Zeppelin, Dornier DO X, Aggregat 4 (V2), Saturn V and Apollo program or all the way from Thomas Newcomen's first steam-engine to the giant Fat Boy locomotives. Or scans of historical places like Pompeiji with different versions of reconstruction. Or even the boat of Captain Nemo from Jules Verne's "20.000 leagues under the sea" or Jeff Bezos' vision of a moon project in 2024. Just to name a few. It would be really interesting to make a virtaul interactive showroom of all this highlights of technology, wouldn't it? Well, it's possible meanwhile to make this interactive, walk-through in 3D on a flat screen or dive into it with VR.

Way too big for one single person I think. But worth to start at a small level. With some good examples one can start search for potent partners. Probably Wikipedia itself ... Kinda Wiki of technological visions and highlights. This would directly point to Unity3D and blender, because they are for free and have a wide community.

What do you think?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  8. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Cool model! Reminds me of a miniature model I had as a teenager (remember the planes and boats etc you could get, then carefully cut them out, glue them together, and paint them?)

As for the VR experience, just don't import the smell ;)

9. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

LOL! The smell must have been breathtaking. Fortunataly we can avoid it. I got the 3D-model today. Parallel we had a baloon-ride this evening and I had not much time to deal with it. But I got all the details as far as I can see:
    Type VIIC 02.
    Unfortunately I wasn't able to import textures. So I could stand in the central room but only with some psychodelic colours:
    Type VIIC 04.
    1969 instead of 1939? Next days will bring up better results.

10. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Okay, mail sent to Wikipedia if they are interested in such projects. I got a better version of the sub and could explore the whole model meanwhile:
    upload_2019-8-18_1-41-13.
    Not good but a bit better. The guy who made it gave permission to me to use it for public.

Folks imagine what this means: I stood IN this boat and was able to walk through.

11. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

I got a pretty stupid answer from a hobbyist at German Wikimedia-Support-Team. Seriously, it would be breathtaking to get a link to a special Wikipedia entry with a 3D-model. Either to view it at desktop or with a VR-headset. They allow STL only atm. That's bullshit. I will ask the central in USA next days.

12. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Hmm some sort of VR museum would be cool.

I still feel that VR's strength is in museum type experiences or collaborative stuff where you can play together in a virtual space. I'm lucky enough to have a VR place about 20 minutes skate away so we can go and play together, walk about in VR in a big space and kill zombies or be on a spaceship or escape a room in ancient Egypt (soon - using the Assasins creed assets/engine). Truely futuristic stuff but in the here and now. It works pretty good too.

Well done on getting the model btw. That's awesome. I hope you are able to sort out the textures.

On CAD, I think Solidworks is likely the closer to what I've been using. I don't have much skill with meshes at all yet.

13. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

It won't work. Mark used a lot of procedural textures in blender. No way to export such textures as far as I know. Additional I think about accuracy. There are several differences between our models. Especially his bulkheads arn't at the right places and don't have the right dimensions. Work of today was to seperate all his interior. That's really tricky. I will treat all parts a bit in Rhino to make the model smarter and put some basic colors to them. I will delete parts one couldn't see in VR. And I have to finish the starboard side wich is the open side at his model. So first choice for me is to use my bulkheads and pressure hull and place all his unbelievable work on the interior into it. This will take a while. Don't know if I'm patient enough to bring it to a good end.