Video software

Discussion in 'Other games and gaming' started by NotAdmin, Aug 26, 2017.

1. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

So for filming inside games, I have Fraps, which is also able to record my mic. Does anyone know a good program to do the same when not in a game? My use case scenario is recording small videos demoing non-game (or browser-based games) content.

2. narfi

narfi Lost

The free steaming software can do it.... I forget the name.... something like Open Broadcasting Software (OBS) or something like that....... you can stream live to your site of choice or save local files for later editing.... you can record only specific windows or the entire desktop and you can do overlays...

• Like Like x 1
  3. San

San

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yep obs. Can't beat free. Pre obs fraps or bandicam were OK choices along with a few others

• Like Like x 1
  5. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Sounds like some of you have a bit of experience with this. Do you have any recommendations on editing software? I've looked at a number of options, including hardware and paid software. However, for the time being I'd like to try and stay free. Should things go well, and pick up some traction, I can always invest some money later.

Any other things I ought to be aware of, or have a look at?

Thanks.

6. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Depends on what you mean with "editing". For very basic issues (cut, save and convert to other formats) Freemake is probably enough:
    http://www.freemake.com/

• Like Like x 1
  7. I think 3dbuzz.com used to use camtasia for recording but most of the videos are fairly old there.... however some topics and aps in these videos are kind of similar to what u are talking about.

Several years ago in playing around with videos I found several interesting apps... short list of a few is over at http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/f...non-eu-links&p=3591091&viewfull=1#post3591091

Flv editor mentioned there is one of the few I could ever get to actually merge multiple Flv files directly without something pricey like from Adobe or Macromedia before adobe ate em up

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Tass

Tass Administrator

What are you up to? :D

As suggested multiple times OBS is the thing for recording, if you need further tips for settings just scream.

For simple editing I use ffmpeg, actually I try to use it whenever possible, but as it is a command line tool it's not really convenient for heavier editing. There are GUIs out there but I didn't find them helpful.

For more elaborated editing Premiere is still the 'industry standard' (respectively Final Cut for Apple's). For the really fancy stuff like animations there's After Effects which works with Premiere in Creative Clould.

These days I try to keep videos as simple as possible, and most of the times ffmpeg is done with the task before Premiere has opened :)

However, depending on what exactly you want to do there are a million aspects to consider.

My last tiny little project was this, running in DOSBox, recording with OBS, pushing to 4K 60fps with ffmpeg (Larry turned 30 recently):

• Like Like x 1
  9. San

San

While just dabbling and far from an expert in video processing, I've used Avidemux so far for all editing and mixing by hand. Although it has built-in scripting, I would use ffmpeg for batch processing (as in the mentioned tool). Just a matter of laziness with the learning curve of both. Then there is Audacity for all things to do with sound, most importantly it can manipulate the duration of a track to stretch/compress it to match the duration of your video.

My reference collection produced this way is not very large and, as a warning, not interesting to watch ;) Just done for trying this out.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UComGLW5R0eIDcTKKnbhfRgw/videos?sort=dd&shelf_id=0&view=0

• Like Like x 1
  10. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

You know what I'm up to ;)

11. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I've found Screencast (https://www.techsmith.com/screencastcom.html) to be really quick and easy to record or upload/share videos. Good for demoing say how to reproduce a problem with some software or making a quick tutorial vid.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.