Using Entropia as a memory cleaner

Discussion in 'Technical, security and bug reports' started by Pennsif, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Has anyone else noticed how good post VU10 Entropia is at cleaning memory usage?

From what I recall in the past Entropia would consume a good deal of available memory while playing - and then NOT release after closing.

Now I've noticed that it does an extremely good job of cleaning memory usage after playing.

As as example last night I had 1.75GB physical memory in use before I launched Entropia.

While playing memory usage went up to 2.30GB (I have 3GB altogether).

After I quit playing and closed the client launcher memory usage dropped right down to 0.98GB !! I hadn't closed any other programs in the meantime.

Has anyone else noticed this?

This memory cleaning effect is so good (eg 1.75GB down to 0.98GB) that I now sometimes launch Entropia for a short spell just to clean up memory. I also have Iolo's System Mechanic and Entropia beats that for memory cleaning.

Maybe MindArk should market a Memory Cleaning product as a sideline!

Pennsif

2. "Memory Cleaning" does nothing but swap memory used by running processes to the page file...

Which slows down every process you have running - i fail to see what's so good about it?

Actually, the optimal scenario would be "nothing paged to disc, all used memory pages are in RAM", because swapping them in from the page file takes time...

So imo, "Memory Cleaning" is nothing but snake oil, yes, you even slow down your system with that...

If you really insist on this being useful, i can write you a small application that demands all the available RAM, showing the very same effect you've observed.
    If you really like to have all your RAM paged to disc, we can do that, np.

(And before some smartass posts that: WM_COMPACTING is for backwards compatibility only, 32 bit processes don't use it)

3. Corrianna Trina Xenophage

Corrianna Trina Xenophage Trained "Psycho&a mp; amp;quot;trop i

Having 12 gig of ddr3 1600 I shut off the swap file altogether as any test I ran with a swap file showed the HD as the weak link and was slowing everything down when using it.

As for the original post, the way I have it set with no swap Win7 uses 1.3 gig ram and when Eu loads it goes to 2.4 to 2.6 gig. At worst I have seen it up to 3.3 but I think I had something else going as well at that time. When I shut down EU it goes right back to 1.3 gig as always.

4. I have also 12GB RAM and using W7 64. I just found something going wrong with memory management in EU :
    The memory used by the process (Entropia.exe) is continuously increasing once the game is launched. As I am playing meantime, it now needs 3.5GB, and was 3GB 30min ago, and still running...
    I found that because there is a point the game is crashing and W7 complaining about lack of memory !
    When the game crashes, the memory is freed and reset as I restart the game (it's happy !).
    What's the problem with EU now ? Poor programmation or CE2 sucking ?
    Anyone else noticed that ?
    3.6GB now...

5. Corrianna Trina Xenophage

I run Win 7 64 bit professional as well. When I first started using it I noticed I had creeping Ram use and also Constant processor useage and for a while I could have sworn someone else was in my system looking around.

Anyway to make the story short I traced it back to Seaport. One of Win 7's new "Features". from what I read its a glorified spy bot and does nothing but look at all you do and report it somehow. I found out how to shut it off for good and not worry about it. Ever since my ram is stable not creeping up, and my proc is very queit and content to do nothing but ping its self saying "Im Idle".. "Im Still Idle" .. "yup I am STILL Idle" with the ocassional ping from the firewall.

All I did was go to Programfiles(x86)\Microsoft\search enhancement pack/ Seaport and reame Seaport to Seaport69 so the loading of it never occurs to begin with. That way If at somepoint I want / need/ or desire to turn it back on its as simple as renaming back to Seaport.

I read this lil tid bit while researching why my computer was so active when I was not even on it and I found some interesting shit about Big Brother Gates at microsoft

Hope maybe this helps a few people with same issues.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Corrianna Trina Xenophage

I was not sure how important it was going to be so I wanted a non distructive way to get it under control.

By renaming it after you shut the service down with taskman it is still there full in tact it just does not load. By not deleteing it I dont have to go thru a bajillion steps AND I wont have to worry about stranded regitry entries or my non computer literate self messing around in the registry. ( I learned long ago that the registry is pure evil)

7. Corrianna Trina Xenophage

Ahh 3rd party apps and EU.. what a wonderful nightmare they can become.

I learned to stay away from them mainly because my old lappy was not fast enough to run anything else with EU after VU 10. not to mention trusting someone I do not know with free access into my computer with programming I dont understand so I know exactly what its doing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.