The future of lootboxes

Discussion in 'General Entropia Universe Discussion' started by NotAdmin, Nov 22, 2017.

1. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

A few articles reported Belgium and HAwai deemed lootboxes to be equal to gambling. Here's an article that sheds a bit more light:

Uh oh...

UH OH!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...egislation-would-be-complicated/#e9d2e527cbcb

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tass

Tass Administrator

Of course it's gambling. Just like crafting in EU is gambling.

And legislation will only be a matter of time. Iirc MA even briefly addressed it in their IPO prospectus thingie like 10 years ago or so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Tass

Tass Administrator

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Of course it is. What I don't get is when I chatting with the SGA over it and they said it wasn't gambling due to the fact we gain skills from it (crafting/hunting/EPsb ) and in doing so we are trading skills on a global market. Yes they sent me a legal email about it all.

BTW Mc, did MA use SGA to get back at the SGA? I do love my Opalo SGA and still to this day think about the SGA every time I use it. :)

(and yes, I have contacted the SGA a few times over the years -- OMG?)

5. Not sure what you are up to with SGA...but I love my SGA Axe too x'D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I guess it depends on the definition of gambling but one would imagine it would have to be a game of chance where you can't influence the outcome - like a lottery. With crafting you can do this so yeh maybe not.

But indeed buying a loot crate in the hopes of the rare item (especially where you can trade for peds/dollars) is a pure gamble in the most classic sense of the word.

I read an article today that was on a very similar topic to the OP. Was talking about "Skin Betting". I had no idea what it was but apparently most teenagers do. Seems it is spending cash trying to "win" an item with a rare texture (skin) on it that is worth the big bucks in game.

Still, I guess this isn't new. WoW used to have these collectable cards you could buy that came with a code to give you a potentially rare item in game. The cards were physical so I guess one could argue you were buying a card but the reality was that the cards were trading on ebay for the big bucks if they were linked to a rare item or pet.

Have to admit though the cheaper ones linked to more common but fun items made great Christmas presents for my WoW friends.

Wistrel

7. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

How?

8. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

9. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

(sorry, couldn't resist :beerchug: )

10. Dab

Dab

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.