Safe Mode stole my Face :(

Discussion in 'General Entropia Universe Discussion' started by Louise Ranavolana Brooks, Feb 27, 2022.

1. Actually they gave it back to me later - but for a while I was devastated :(

It is strange but it bothered me much more than I thought it would - I reckon I look pretty good from the front even if rather retarded when viewed in profile. I have been playing for over 4 years & have got used to how I look.

It came about when I was mining & wood harvesting in PvP4. I have this desire to tempt fate every now & then.
    I was chatting to a friend & I mentioned that without radar it would be hard to notice another player until they were really close. Unless you are wearing colorful clothes & racing about or moving in a way that draws attention.
    He replied that if in Safe Mode avatars appear as if made of marshmallow. I had to try it to see, and yes as a white marshmallow person I was much more obvious - much easier to see fruits etc. though.

Later I changed back to the resolution I normally use - and when I looked at myself I was quite different. different nose, fuller face, smaller eyes bigger mouth
    - like an average F avatar. I had fuglified myself

I was going to post before & after pics. However when I logged on this morning I was back to my original me. I was tempted to do it again & post - but you know the saying about pulling a face & the wind changes. I don't want 2 take the chance.

2. San

San

It is strange how perceptions change over time. To me, rooted in the early years of computer games when hardware to render detailed graphics was a distant dream, your game character was only living by your own imagination. Seeing someone expressing today that a missing texture is a somewhat shocking experience to them is fundamentally alien to me.

I used safe mode in Entropia quite often when entering crowded places on an underpowered computer. I'm glad we still have it, a machine can fail at any time and being able to pull out an old laptop from the closet and continue is reassuring.

3. Are you insulting, patronising me or what? Why do you think my reaction was "fundamentally alien" ? Because I consider my reaction was normal.

I posted my experience as it was surprising to me & thought others may be interested if they ever did something similar, went to safe mode & then later back again only to find their avatar was different & wondered wtf happened here - only later to find it was a temporary effect, gone on relogging.

4. San

San

I did not in the least mean to be insulting. Just reporting that perceptions about this seem to have changed profoundly. I genuinely don't understand what you find shocking about it, this is what I mean by "fundamentally alien". To me, it is a normal mechanic of cognition to fill in for a missing texture with my imagination because we always had to imagine graphic details about our games. That this is no longer so I cannot see in a way other than as a loss of a human ability. If this impacts you emotionally, blame your environment for no longer teaching it instead of the messenger.

5. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Couldn't resist... buggy fun from I don't know... sometime during the previous avatars.

Imafgfdge10.jpg

6. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Explorer

lol must have taken some strong psychedelic drugs by the looks of it :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.