Run out of Memory?

Discussion in 'Technical, security and bug reports' started by MindStar9, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Those memory issues r in Grafics card and not in Pc ram. 32 bit OS recognize only 3.3Gb ram if im not mistaken and 64 bit OS recognize far more. The memory in Grafic cards is much more limited. I play with ATI radeon 2600 XT , 512 DDR3 and i always get that low memory warning and playing in medium settings. Why? first i always load my inventory first before i start playing (goes into GFcard memory) then wen i go to twins , it also has to load it into memory, so it gets full. If u exit entropia and logon again , u will see that inventory loads faster cause GF memory is loaded with info, but if u reboot pc is a diferent story. Wen i go to PA all i see is green dots and dont see alot of avatars there cause i dont even give time to load them.

Before u logon the first time, start in safe mode and go up definitions as u go. it should help a bit in the stability .

2. had same problem in pa with 3gb ddr2 ram. moved the settings from high to low and problem solved. All this means that ma has a balancing problem...

Wonder what their yearly income reports will look like for this period...

3. Minstar9 have consider upgrading to Windows 7 64bit so you can use all your 4gb of ram. I think you will benefit from it.

Also from all the post here I notice the game is getting graphics intensive. Meaning we need better video cards. I think "some of us" spend more money in game then in RL so I think some of us could probably make some in game sacrifices to buy a better video card. Of cource this does not apply to everybody. I have a hard time in EU and RL financially. So is hard for me to upgrade my own video card or get something nice in EU.

For me my PC is really outdated because it has 3 year old parts. The latest technology in hardware are going to down in prices. Why not use the latest technologies? Old parts usually cost more. I just build my boss gaming PC for around 1000USD without the video card. I wish I had that kind of money to spend to upgrade my computer. For me it will be even cheaper because I could use some old parts in my current PC. Like my Power Supply, Hard Drives, and DVD Writer drive.

Well this is my Techie Way of thinking.

4. I get these warnings all the time usually no problem since a few huge updates back tho(but now it came back even outside PA areas sometimes), but I would like to ask you who know if upgrading my memory from 2GB to 4GB would be an idea? (ddr2, win XP 32bit so I know not all 4 will be used)
    Win 7 64bit isn't an option for this pc but will be as soon as I can get the complete pc I want (need more money lol)

My gpu is ATI 4650 with 1GB (ddr2 I think)
    playing high/v.high and some medium, I get the fps and looks that I want with these settings so lower is "not an option" (1280x1024 so no big resolution either)

5. MindStar9

MindStar9 Floating in Space

Thanks for all the input regarding this issue ... and it really is an issue for me since I have to be able to capture good quality photos and footage for the work that I do with EU, so I'll have to look into this to see what changes I can make that won't be too costly. Is this purely because of CE2? I've just never known any other game I've played to have this issue with updates, no matter how large they were.

6. safara

safara Pamwe Chete

I just spent an hour in PA and did not have the issue after todays update :)

7. MindStar9

Oh good ... I haven't updated yet, but will do that now, and then when I get back from classes tonight I'll give it a go to see what happens.

Thanks Spike! :)

8. aridash

aridash large throbbing member

theres no denying its more graphic intensive than pre-VU10, but theres not going to be a step up in graphics in a minor VU. a 3 year old machine might need upgrading or replacing (depending on original spec), but somthing like MS('s a year old shouldnt. the problems reported are due to bugs, i suspect a poorly constructed model or texture. and massive activity will always burden this game due to the variety of graphics available.

i wouldnt spend money on upgrades due to bugs, and if you arent using all 2GB (monitor task manager) then its not going to address the problem anyway. run EU without other apps running first too. Also, keep the high settings you like but turn down the AA and anisotropic filtering to see if you get better FPS without noticing the edges. often you wont. the processing/FPS difference between 2xAA and 4xAA can be massive with no perceptible change to the picture. you might not even notice no AA much, especially with hi-res. on EU speficially, i recall on the effects has a very large effect on perfomance for very little visual impact, shadowing or atmospheric i think, try that at medium.

9. Ok maybe I need to monitor the task manager even in normal play, just done it once or twice when it goes bad (guess that too late anyway lol)

And AA I dont use any at all actually, and if the anisotropic is the thing you can check/uncheck under advanced I dont use that either.
    Tried AA and personally dont think it's worth the sacrifices I would have been forced to do to keep using it...

10. I strongly agree with this.

There are always bugs. Even if some bugs are fixed, new one appears.

11. I agree with Aridash, it's highly likely the message is being triggered by an errant check than the problem to which it relates. Though to be perfectly honest, the real world unpolished reality is that your system may be suffering from 1 or more problems with causes not easily definable. I've got some 20 years of experience with computers, a couple of things worth considering.

• Computing isn't cheap, the price of the computer has basically stayed the same, it's very cleverly and sustainable managed to ensure everyone at every level can get something and pay everything.
    • A computer is for Christmas, not for life. It will depreciate in value as quickly as a car; Sound extreme? you can sell a 5yr old car, try selling a 5yr old computer.
    • The geeky guy with the computer (not to be confused with the poor wannabe) is keeping it running all the time because unlike a washing machine or vacuum cleaner he has a whole pile of spare bits. Being able to swap out pretty much everything to track down problems in record time.
    • Educated guesses sound intelligent (cos they are!) but they're just that, and these toys don't play fair.
    • Like anything in life, the uber level is realising just how much you don't know or can control and trying to live with it.

Also I feel the prevailing idea of memory empty = good, memory full = bad, coming through. This simply isn't the case, memory is quickly accessible temporary storage. It's a given that you typically can't fit the entire Entropia Universe into the private working set, but that's cool programs know this, instead being designed to make best use of points where you'll be doing I/O intensive stuff, etc. Memory is best when it's full, because this is when it's most likely it'll have something you want in it, when it's empty it will always have nothing of what you want. The difference in overhead of flushing to disk Vs. a page being read off the disk is very small; More serious issues surround virtual memory management (which is significantly better under Windows 7).

Ok, so the diatribe on A4 laminated IT support is over, something a little more useful.
    I don't know the exact reasons why the low memory message is being triggered, but I'd like to straighten a couple of things out. It's been mentioned that your graphics card might be involved, while I agree it could be better, it's no reason for the low memory errors (these are system warnings relating to memory available to the programs running and not hardware). From the sounds of it you're already aware of the 32bit register limitation, your graphics card, sound card, cpu (tiny), etc. has to be addressable by the system limiting the number of free addresses to assign to the system memory. For memory and system architecture + general improvements, you'd do nicely upgrading to Win7 x64. However what we know and what is present conflicts. I believe you'd resolve the memory low warning issue, and attribute that to flaws in how XP handles memory (alot has changed in this area).

My serious advice is to follow the steps below, stopping as soon as the issue clears up.
    1. Task Manager - Ensure you're looking at the memory used for each process, much can be eaten up by 20 tabs in your browser. Though to be honest, if your system usage at the point of incident is inline with the images posted, then your fine and will gain very little real performance gain by doing the typical clean ya registry, empty waste bin and defrag tripe. These maintenance tasks have their place, but real gains in your situation will barely be observable.
    2. Buy Win7x64 - As well as having spit n shine, Win7 comes with sysinternals monitoring tools as standard, much improved task manager performance monitoring and an improved version of 'Perfmon'.
    3. If you still don't like the idea of getting the new OS, and want to pick away at the bones from yesterdays Molisk broth, then XP Pro comes with perfmon. Just type that into the search / run programs bar and you'll have a program displaying a blank chart. It'd take a while to properly explain how to use this, but plenty of resources exist within Google-reach.

I appreciate your point MindStar9 about hardware requirements, but the flip side is that many people would love to put a few ped more into the computer and get a much more realistic experience, it's both niche market clever and brave of MA to push it's client base towards better hardware than dragging itself and making do with the particularly lame engines we used to have. I know you appreciate the value of finding what makes EU pleasurable outside of the 'rat-race' style game many are playing, diversifying into activities that don't require constant deposits. Improving the graphical feel and therefore immersion is really key to the experience. I'm not sure if you mentioned it, but I've seen others referring to smaller resolutions. Personally I find EU really claustrophobic when theirs about 2 inches screen space visible of world between the chat windows taking up 1/3 of the screen and the keypad and other gumpf. Take a look at some of my screen shots, plenty of actual world visible, and it feels lovely. I run 1920 x 1080 on a 24".

As an aside, and maybe a convincer. I was, until Windows 7, the extremely not proud owner of Saints Row 2 on Steam. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth, long running 'lag' complaints about awful console ports, poorly scaled hardware requirements and idiot games programmers - yada yada. Windows 7 comes along, and the processor issues have completely cleared up.

I'm running an (at the time of purchase) ultimate best buy budget system.
    BenQ 24" - £140
    AMD II X2 550 BE 3.1GHz clocked to 3.62

12. But individual updates can introduce particular elements that demand higher graphics resources.

When they updated the Troy area my graphics card had to work a lot harder to cope (judging by the clearly audible increased fan speed). I think this was largely due to the volcano, and when hunting at the volcano I need to switch to safe mode or my card goes mental. Even in safe it has to work hard.

I noticed a similar but less significant issue when they added the Cayuze-area missions, apparently due to the smoke that comes from the wreckage sites.

I think light sources and particle graphics are the key factors here.

I don't know if there are any similar factors in the PA update but it seems quite likely.

13. MindStar9

Wow Commodore, thank you very much for taking the time to post that information. It was quite the education for me, as well as everything everyone else has contributed to this thread. I'm very appreciative, so thanks.

I'm going to look into the Win7 64 bit thingy ... is it a matter of downloading, or loading up the new Win7 OS, or is there a lot of other stuff I need to do?

I'll do my research and see where I go from here.

You're right though ... my game play is not the usual hunting, mining, crafting, etc ... but rather more social-based as a result of my media involvement, but it's what I enjoy the most, although I like to get out there now and then and go head-to-head with a few mobs. With the introduction of the vehicles and other toys, it allows me more mobility while being out in the field doing photo shoots, or collecting data for an article or the next magazine issue, so I'm sure that adds more system resource requirements, ya?

Because of the very nature of what my primary activities are within our universe, I have to have a great running computer so that taking photos, or gathering footage for a video doesn't become an issue ... especially when I'm in an area such as Port Atlantis, or other places where a lot of people might be gathered, so ... looks like I might need to rethink my system setup.

I'll let everyone know where I'm going with this, and if I have any other questions, I'll come back here.

You guys have been very helpful, really ... so thank you very much.

14. I suggest getting a pc tech so he could help you out. You have to do several things to install window 7.

First you need to look at your old Windows Xp and determind what you want from there on the new Window 7. I suggest making a list. You will then need to backup your files and reinstall some of your programs. Now for EU you just have to backup the "Entropia Universe" folder and all it's content of the game. After you install Window 7, you have put back the backup files on the new Windows 7 operating system. I would copy the "Entropia Universe" Folder on the root of drive or if you want back to the original place "program files." Just make sure you install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 64bit/32bit before you run the game.

15. safara

safara Pamwe Chete

Yep - seems to be back again now.

16. Everyone brings something from rl to the Entropian one, along with everyone else, we're happy to aid in what we do best.

Unlike previous installs of Windows, it's hell 'a lot easier and there's less to gain from doing a fresh install. Windows doesn't mutate and cannibalise the previous install, instead it pushes aside the previous one. The usual advice about saving important files applies - but really we're talking about passwords, email, accounts (stuff you can't afford for something like quarks or sunspot activity affecting your installation and everything going wrong! Oh and of course you're doing regular backups anyway, right...) The backups not so serious, everything will be shifted to a folder called Windows.Old Programs wont run from here, but data is safe. You'll need the Windows 7 retail installation, the way you're talking XP came installed on the machine? This is OEM. Just choose which one you like (at home I use Home Premium) it comes in a green box about the size of a VHS cassette, you can get from any major PC shop or cheaper from Amazon. Pop the disk into a running system and follow the prompts (you're machine does need to be capable of reading DVD disks) within about 30mins you'll be ready to begin copying files back and of course installing Entropia.

Whatever you do, plz don't take the PC down the local shop and get them to install it. They'll charge based on time spent, and all they'll do is follow the same prompts you can.

P.S. Need about 20GB additional space free on your Hard Drive, though you can delete the Windows.Old once you've got the stuff you want.

17. Just a note this won't store your outlook e-mails so please back them up. I did this a mistake with a customer before. I thought it will back the e-mails. I lost my customer .pst file. eek!

18. Oh dear, I can imagine how upset they'd have been! Generally we all store far too much important info in our email client.

However you should find that Windows 7 install does indeed keep the .pst (if you're actually using Outlook...), the folder may retain it's permissions though, meaning it would remain hidden from view. You can either enable the view, or simply enter the folder you know exists - the view is blocked, but not the access.

You'd be looking for C:\Windows.old\Users\<Your Login>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
    Where <Your Login> is your user name without the angle brackets.

19. I was having the exact same problem. My computer should have been able to run entropia on high but after a few minutes i would get that pop up and then once i clicked ok it closed. I believed i had more than enough ram so I ran the game while in window mode with task manager beside. As I thought, when that messege appeared, I had more than 500mb free and 2000 cached. Oh, btw here are my current specs:

OS
    Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit)
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
    Windsor 90nm Technology
    RAM
    3.0GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 334MHz (5-5-5-15)
    Motherboard
    ECS Nettle2 (Socket M2 )
    Graphics
    HP w2007 @ 1680x1050
    512MB GeForce 8800 GT (XFX Pine Group)
    Hard Drives
    313GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD320KJ SCSI Disk Device (SCSI)

So I decided to buy a 2gb ram stick just to be safe. I had to remove one of my 512mb sticks so I now had 4.5Gb of ram, but only 3.5 was showing because of vista 32bit operating system. I ran the game again and it still showed that messege, but this time it also appeared on medium settings after about an hour of playing. This could only mean one thing, there must be a technical problem with vista caching and entropia. Because Vista uses a service called superfetch and prefetch which sucks out all available ram and stores it in cache. I decided to upgrade to Windows 7 64bit since I had already bought that 2gb of ram. I downloaded a free operating system from the piratebay.org

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5803...September_2010)

So after about an hour of transfering files i needed onto an external hard drive, I installed Windows 7 and then entropia. Now I am able to run Entropia on High settings on 1680x1050 display with no pop up saying I don't have enough ram. It looks awesome [​IMG] Hopes this helps you.

*Oh also I forgot to add, after I bought the ram but before I installed windows 7, I tried reinstalling entropia, and reformatting my computer to reinstall windows vista home premium (32 bit) but the problem persisted.

One more Thing. Now I am able to play on very settings. Being in atlantis when its heavily populated causes no problems either now, even on very high setting. I even went on a ride in a sleipner in vh setting and no problems. also i have more than 1.5gb available when running on vh. I believe this has solved the problem for good.

20. hmm so now we actually need a operating system for 200-300us$ and not only new GPUs and RAM :/

Just think of all this money spent on hardware/Software to run the game was actually deposited into the game...

My system look similar to yours rmor, except a bit less RAM but a newer GPU with 1GB (and win XP still), support tells me to lower my settings to medium while my system is more then enough for their High specs, time for them to change the required specs?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.