RIP David Post

Discussion in 'Next Island' started by mastermesh, Jun 10, 2022.

1. I've been a bit out of the loop on Next Island stuff. Just saw this post on facebook from May.
    -------------------------------------
    Next Island
    May 16 at 1:33 PM ·

Greetings Entropians,
    It is with a heavy heart we regret to inform our community that David Post, the founder and visionary of Next Island, has passed away. As his friends and family celebrate his legacy, we hope all of those who have enjoyed participating in his vision being brought to life will do the same.
    David was a kind man, with a fun vision for Next Island and a playful sense of humor. The origins of Next Islands lore are rooted in a childhood dream of his that he always wanted to see come to life, and fortunately for everyone, his story has been immortalized on Next Island.
    One of David's commonly spoken fond memories was Coney Island amusement park near where he grew up. So in his honor, and with his family's blessing, Next Island will be developing an annual celebration with lighthearted games and activities.
    For now, please feel free to visit the statue of Vice Admiral Post at Paradise Landing on Next Island to pay your respects to the man who made this all possible, and whose legacy will continue to live on for many years to come.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. ...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
  3. My commiserations, that's just too bad. Anyone who had the drive and ambition to start and run a planet in Entropia deserves nothing but respect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I have fold memories of playing through the Next Island Origins VN app that I think was largely written (at least story wise) by David. I always really liked his vision for Next Island especially the time travel aspect. One of my favourite things about the place was the time travel cave where you went in in one era and came out in the same cave but in an entirely different time period. I always lamented that they never got as far as implementing the ice age period. Looking at how well this was done for Hunt the Thing, I'm sure it would have been really cool (excuse pun). I don't think any other MMO has a time travel element and there's something really nice about remaking the same familiar landscape but for different time periods. Sorta reminded me of how in Doctor Who they turned this place I've been going to since I was three into a futuristic looking city. So cool. I've stood on the headland near that bridge looking out at that city and spent most of my summers in the hospital at around 2mins.

Anyhow, very sad to hear about David's passing but glad that the people in charge of NI are marking it and seem to have at least an element of drive towards continuing vaguely within the parameters set out by David.

Wistrel

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Saddly I can't find info to post and add here.

So, I tell myself that now David belongs to the stars,
    like we will all be one day.

Ak.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. I Edited my above posts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

likewise - thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Such sad news. David always struck me as a very passionate and down to earth guy. He had a vision that somehow only partially managed to materialize in EU, for whatever reason(s). I hope some day it might end up in a state that resembles his original idea.

And thanks, Wis and Akbar.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. Tass

Tass Administrator

RIP David.

Already the 2nd planet 'boss' that has passed away.

11. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Explorer

Who is the first planet boss to have passed away?

12. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Explorer

14. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I can't think of anyone else gone except from the CRD guy. It was painted that the whole thing fell apart as a result of that IIRC.

Since CRD never got past a tech demo video of (one of) the old starting areas with more avatars in, I don't think it really counts as a Planet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.