Quick prenewbie question

Discussion in 'General Entropia Universe Discussion' started by Shadowheart, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Hey folks

I stumbled upon Entropia Universe on the web, and it looks like something that I want to try. I have just one question before I give it a shot: since this game has been around for quite some time, is it even possible for a complete newbie to get going? Are the things that I can do of any use to the community, respectively, can I get a business running that actually attracts customers?

Thanks for answering in advance ;)

• Like Like x 8
  2. Welcome!

There are three main activities that are connected to a loot pool; hunting, mining and crafting. These three are skill-based, where higher skills give you an edge (cutting costs, being able to use better equipment, better blueprints etc). You will have a real hard (long) time reaching the skill levels of the real old dogs that started skilling 7 years ago, not only because they have more skill hours obviously, but also since skill gains have been nerfed a few times since then.

That was however a change that made the gap between new and older players way smaller though. The higher skill point you have the slower each new skill point takes to get, it's an exponential curve. Going from 0 to 5k in a skill goes way way faster than going from 5k to 10k just as an example. And you can certainly have a great time and/or make a profit (if that is what you are after) even without uber skills. So no reason to not try this out just because you weren't here from the start in my opinion.

May I ask what you are after? Purely entertainment which you are ready to pay for? Looking to make a profit out of it all? Or some kind of middle-way trying to get as much entertainment as possible for your buck? That's a good question to ask oneself before starting I suppose.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Anna

Anna Master of the Universe

Depends on your business idea. But im going to be straight, if you are not willing to invest IRL money you will have a long, hard road.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Well, I'm an old school mmo player. I started in 1997 with Ultima Online, and I dabled with most of the big ones along the way, as well as a few small ones. Now I really stumbled upon this while surfing on the web, and it just fascinates me. If I start, then I'm willing to put the same money into it as I put into another MMO, which would be around 15 bucks each month. I'd really like to give it a try, but MMOs which have been around a few years tend to have one or more of the following issues:

• Elitist community that is looking down the nose at the n00bs
    • Too far advanced gameplay that does not let the n00bs catch up
    • Missing resources (like land space for housing, because everything is taken)
    • Messed up economy without money sinks, which leads to prices for items / resources that a n00b cannot pay
    Those are my biggest fear. And I'd hate to invest some time and money into the game just to find out I can't really get involved...

Concerning my goals: the main goal is always to have fun, to feel involved. Community is important for that. I'm not in for the profit, but should I see that profit can be had, then why not give it a try. Things that I find very interesting about this MMO:

• Skill based system very similar to the old MMOs like Ultima Online (use the skill to advance it, exponential learning curve as already mentioned)
    • Crafting / Mining (this interests me more than hunting/fighting in most MMOs, and this is also one of the reasons I like to try new ones)
    • Housing (gives things a personal touch, which I like)
    I hope that gives you some more insight on my intentions hehe :)

• Like Like x 7
  5. Anna

Well sounds like you would fit right in. Entropia Universe has by far the best and most friendly community I have ever seen, and very friendly to beginners.

The skill system in EU is also different from others, its hard to explain but once you get started youll figure it out. You dont choose any class etc, you just start skilling what you want, whether its rifle, pistol or crafting pants.

15 bucks a month is perfect for a beginner, it will get you the basic equipment you need and should take you quite far.

If you want me to help you out ingame once you start, I would be glad to, I've pretty much done it all (Not saying im good at anything though :D).

• Like Like x 8
  6. Cool, sounds good! Thanks for the feedback :-) I'm downloading the client now, and I'll give it a try. I'd say the chances that I come back with questions is pretty good :-P

• Like Like x 6
  7. Post as many questions as you like and let us know how you are getting on. You will find a lot of people in game who are willing to help out new starters, beware though that there are a few (very few) people who may try to rip you off so don't just pass your kit over to others until you have built up a trusting relationship.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Yeah, I figured that in a game where you can make real profit you would probably find a fair share of scammers :-/ Thanks for the warning, I'll be careful!

• Like Like x 5
  9. Anna

Good way to avoid being scammed is to always ask for collateral for your items. Also, if you are not sure about something just ask before rushing into it :)

• Like Like x 7
  10. You will have a good time in Entropia. During mining and hunting expeditions, you can now do smart things like driving cars, boats, hovercraft and even vtols :) One thing you can't do anymore though, is jump off mountains and tall buidings and have your health-level stay intact :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 6
  11. Hi Shadowheart and welcome

EU certainly is a lot of fun - I think a lot of players start with dreams about making some sort of business, and end up just enjoying the community. Hunting with friends in a team still seems to me even today to be one of the most enjoyable experiences about the game.

If you do head in determined to make money, then hunting, crafting or mining is unlikely to get you going very quickly.
    Trading, reselling etc. will certainly ensure that there is a way to make money, but they're not exactly fun unless you count being a kind of 'teller' as being fun - which some people do. You at least get to talk to a lot of ppl this way, and working your way quickly through a lot of fresh, mixed loots and delivering fair prices - this is a useful service to the hunting/mining community. Reselling then becomes a useful service to the crafting community although it must be said that for some bizarro reason some people look down on resellers in a kind of 'middlemen' envy!

Skills are interesting, but all that changes really are the stakes. You may hit a bit loot even in the small stakes, one would argue that even in the big stakes, by proportion, the big loots are no more frequent.

There are an awful lot of theories out there, but at the end of the day you've got to ask yourself if that's where you're going to get the thrills - would it not be more interesting to find a niche market, open a shop, provide some interesting service etc?

Also of mention is the 'flat' period that has now gone caused by VU 10 and the cry engine update. MA seem to have got their skates on again, and the game benefits a lot from the facelift, better physics etc. It's unlikely they'll let things go that way so will hopefully return to the regular new features arriving frequently. Each time they do this there's fun to be had exploring new areas, trying new trades, driving new vehicles etc.

And, the thing that I always come back to is the lac of subscription. Sure if you play a lot you will spend more than another MMO. If you don't, you don't spend anything.

So, hope you enjoy!

• Like Like x 9
  12. Ah I'm waffling now, but I forgot about these points!

Elistism: maybe some but it's not corrosive, and doesn't spoil enjoyment as a noob
    Gameplay: Is very much the same whether you're a noob or an uber, except maybe that for events that tend to favour a skilled player
    Missing Resources: No land or estates as such at the moment. Yes all the hangars etc went early, and there's not much more sign of such large investment. Unlimited weapons were an old-skool win but even they are now tempered by the new upgrade system
    Economy: Well judge for yourself. There are a lot of high prices out there and you'll have to ask people who own such things if they return on investment. Not sure about money sinks, but there is most definitely entropy - the clue is in the name ;)

• Like Like x 9
  13. Great advice there... Also bare in mind that not everyone can make a profit 100% of the time because MA wouldn't then make a profit, and so there would be no EU. Also, what you sell something for must equal what you paid for it plus a bit on top, otherwise there is no profit. This may seem obvious, but you'd be surprised, just like irl, how many ppl overlook this :D
    Bottom line is that only reselling or providing a service really works, but then you can't do anything else (mining, hunting, etc) as this will strait away eat into any potential profit - and it will take time, lots of time... For this reason, most participants strike a middle-balance by 'playing the game' in return for average loots that they build-up in their personal storage units, apartments, etc. You won't make a profit this way in the short term, but over many months this can build-up to something considerable.

• Like Like x 7
  14. As I mentioned in one of the posts before, I'm not in for the profit, but for the fun. If I play another MMO, then I also "invest" 15-30 bucks each month, without the chance of any return money ever. I wonder how having PED linked to real currency will influence my gaming behaviour :p

Started running around at Calypso Gateway yesterday, and I was astonished to see so many people in the starter area. I've tried several newer MMOs that were completely dead in those places ...

Edit: Is there a hidden feature that I'm missing to gratulating to every post , or is it just that everybody is veeeeery friendly? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2010
    • Like Like x 8
  15. Haha, yea we are generally a very friendly bunch around here ;)

Good to hear about the activity at the Gateway! That area was added just a few months ago, how do you like it?

• Like Like x 8
  16. So far so good. Was just playing around for half an hour or so, didnt have much time. Today I should have some hours to really play around ...

I think it shows you very good where and with what to do the basic hunting / crafting / mining processes. However, the descriptions are not detailed, so the HOW-to-part you have very much to figure out on your own. But it's no biggie. After all I managed to figure out mining and crafting after being at a birthdayparty where there was some some wine and beer to be had, so it can't be that bad :p

• Like Like x 7
  17. Anna

I think thats one of the beauties of the game.

I hate those games where you have to go through long tutorials on how to move forward and stuff. MA has given us pretty much no info on anything about game dynamics, but the community has collected huge amounts of stuff about how things work.

Here is a website you should bookmark: www.entropedia.info

It has information regarding nearly all the mobs, places and items in the game, and its extremely helpful. You can count which armor is best for which mob, and you can browse guns without actually being ingame (Good thing if u get bored at work ;) ).

• Like Like x 9
  18. Yes, it is definitely a refreshing experience!

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out tonight. The link is blocked here at work :(

• Like Like x 8
  19. LOL it's been a while since we've seen any new, enthusiastic players around. Please forgive us :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 8
  20. No problem, makes the bunch of you more sympathetic :D

• Like Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.