PC Hardware Do's and Dont's for Crytropia

Discussion in 'Technical, security and bug reports' started by Shadowsong, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Shadowsong

Shadowsong Collateral Damage

I'm finally about to upgrade and have my first look at the new engine. I'd appreciate any recommendations wrt hardware selections. I'm generally an Intel/Asus/ATI fan, but at this stage, with the tech bugs in EU, I'm open to suggestion.

I'm particularly interested in hearing about the components to avoid, because odds are they're exactly the models our local bods have imported :D, so I'd like to steer clear of any known lemons.

2. Stave

Stave Guest

Well im currently running on:

Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX

AMD Athlon 4GHZ Dual Core, Will upgrade to Phenom x2 quad core soon.

and OCZ Platinum Revision 4GB Ram

My machine seems to run EU fine on High/Very high settings, i find that if its all very high i can get a small amount of lag increasing AA increases the lag, im using older Drivers for my Graphics card atm and im having no Blue Screen of death issues.

I Would imagine that any nvidia geforce card that's the 8800 GTX or above would be more than adequate.

Are you planning on building the system yourself? or..

3. Chopper

Chopper Sanctuary

Are you upgrading your existing system or looking for a new system?
    If you are upgrading then some specifications of what you have would help everyone help you ;)

4. Shadowsong

Starting from scratch... my existing box is way too old to try strapping any new components in without a rolling upgrade to the whole thing anyway.

Definitely not assembling it myself either, I'll let the PC techs wrestle with that once I have decided on components. There's an expo this weekend, so hopefully I can go armed with a shortlist of likely bits and look for specials :)

5. ALEXANDER

ALEXANDER The Renegate

ATI 5800
    a Phenom 2 quad core AMD 3.2 Ghz or higher
    4GB ddr2 1066 Mhz
    try an SSD instead of HDD (they are more explensive but much much more faster than ordinary HDD's)
    600W + power source...

All the above are pretty cheap (not the most expensive items out there by far)

6. Stave

Stave Guest

dont ssd's have less memory atm? i know seagate plan a 2tb one but as far as i know its not out yet

7. CycoKick

CycoKick Notorius cK

then ask yourself, Do u need 2 terrabyte? And besides, getting an exernal HD is alot nicer if u want to use the one in your pc for gaming..

8. Stave

Stave Guest

2tb isnt the point, the biggest ssd ive seen so far is 200 gb

as a side note i have a 2tb external coz i am a video editor and working with fraps uncompressed memory hungry format i do need that space :)

9. ALEXANDER

ALEXANDER The Renegate

the solution is 1TB cheap HDD for storage (music files, games images, torrents etc) and an SSD of 128GB or less for OS and important games...

Advantages: It has better transfer rates (SATA 2 is shit... the new HDDs don't even use the full capabilities of ATA or sata 1... because it is impossible do to current speeds and the fact that there are moving parts and there are certain limits)
    Insta boot if you know how to tweak.
    decreases games load time by up to 50%
    Insta movies load (DVD RIP's or more)

minuses: cost per Gb is a higher than on an ordinary HDD

and that's all :)

SSD's are the future, they will get cheaper and faster.... So prepare to throw away even the 15RPM HDD's

10. Shadowsong

I doubt I'll be going the SSD route - still a bit too pricey for my liking. Looking at the other suggestions, it seems I'll be walking away from Intel to an AMD chip for starters.

Off to browse some GPU specs, thanks for the input guys.

11. Stave

Stave Guest

good luck in getting your new system :)

Thanks for sharing your knowledge of ssd alexander i may well consider that

12. aridash

aridash large throbbing member

its all about budget really, decide what you want to spend and stick to that.

CPU: AMD is better value for money. Intel i7 is best for outright performance, but you pay for it (bear in mind more expensive motherboards etc too).

GPU: its down to personal preference these days, in each price range there's little difference. i thought nvidia would be better as cryengine is supposed to be optimised for it, but seems MA have buggered the implementation. at the very top end i think the Nvidia 295 wins, while in the upper mid range the ATIs are better.

Hardisk. yeah, be nice to have a SSD but they are years away from a decent price point to make it worthwhile unless you are buy an uber machine. pick the biggest for price otherwise, again its personal preference and matters little.

motherboard. if building, preference again, just stick to Asus, Gigabyte, MSI. dont buy fancy features you'll never use, like say Raid 5 support (ie get the cheaper model)

Power. if not overclocking or doing dual GPU 500w is plenty enough, and will probably be fine for a bit of tweaking or another card if you change your mind. if you want to overclock then you aren't asking for advice so dont worry about it.

Memory. it is literally all the same. many of the brands come from the same factories. unless pushing for uber performance, just get the budget version of one of the main brands like Corsair or Kingston.

cooling. again, unless you are overclocking you dont need more than the stock cooler, they are designed to cool the CPU to meet the expect lifetime (and i think they offer years of warranty).

in general by not buying bits that have been designed to appeal to the overclocking brigade you can buy a complete new PC for probably 20-30% less with maybe only a 10% lower performance.

• Like Like x 1
  13. xentric

xentric noob

I would say you need a good quality power supply at 500W for a new system with mid/high GPU.

I have just bought a Jeantech 1kW absolute power supply and a BFG nvidia GTX280(both cheapish off ebay) and am just awaiting funds to get an i7 mobo bundle(will be new).

good luck with your upgrade :)

14. Stave

Stave Guest

Personally for the power supply even tho i dont overclock i like to have a bit more than needed to be safe, maybe future proof if i decide to do anything to it maybe? idk but i have a 700w one, hiper i think

15. Shadowsong

Ari, thanks for that, helps a lot. I'm not going to be overclocking, so at least I can avoid looking at those water-cooled case prices :)

Now the tough part - taking the dream and trimming it to fit budget.

16. Im currently running EU on a ssd with OS win7 64-bit. cost for 80Gb aprox
    2000 Sek. Just buy one, you will not regret it :)

17. Chopper

Chopper Sanctuary

I picked up a thermaltake big water system new for $95.00. It's not the top of the line but installation was simple and my CPU runs ~15 degrees (F) higher then room temp. My MB runs cooler as well because the CPU heat is routed outside the case.
    It's a great investment and usually cheaper if you get it installed from the start!

18. Shadowsong

Well so far the best price I've seen locally is about triple that. We have fairly onerous import duties on certain goods, coupled with an exchange rate that bounces close to 10:1 vs US$.. in fact, for a brief period last year our currency was worth less than the PED :)

It has recovered recently, but the inertia in the suppliers willingness to drop prices is matched only by their alacrity in raising them based on the rate.

The expo this weekend may deliver some bargains, with the newer companies using the opportunity to undercut the guys with more expensive stock, so hope springs eternal.

19. aridash

aridash large throbbing member

yes that is very cool, under 30deg C i reckon.

but heres the thing, the CPU is designed to run at temperatures of 70-80 deg C plus (depending on model). so whats the point? unless you are pushing the temperature envelope by overclocking or living in a very high temp environment, its not really that useful and not a great investment

20. Chopper

Chopper Sanctuary

Running a CPU cooler then it's rated temp is a very good thing.. thermal breakdown is a major cause of semiconductor breakdown. Cooler means longer life.

I got my last system from cyberpower, I declined the Asetec liquid cooling system which would of been only an additional $50.. many of the aftermarket air cooled heat pipes cost more than that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.