Out of Memory - Wistrel's Solution (Win7 32bit 3GB RAM workaround)

Discussion in 'Technical, security and bug reports' started by Wistrel, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I think I have FINALLY solved this!

(no ram upgrade or 64bit os upgrade needed)

I was finding Rocktropia near the Megaplex almost unplayable. OOM Crash within a few mins unless running on lowest settings (can normally run at max). Since fixing I've CAN'T crash it now whatever I try. =D (tp'ing back and forth between "crash" locations, using vehicles, pushing memory up and up. In the end gave up and decided it was fixed Just need to go to PA and Twin and survive and then I know for definite. Anyhow...

Specs: Windows 7 - 32bit, 3GB RAM, GeForce 260 - 800MB.

Situation: EU was crashing at around about the 1.3GBs use of memory mark with there still being at least 800mb of system ram still available (according to task manager). Typically at PA, Twin or the Megaplex on RT. ie anywhere there were lots of players or RT's "human" mobs. (Calypso mobs were fine).

Solution: Open a command prompt and enter: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 2560
    press enter, type exit, press enter, reboot.

Note: I did do something else also but I don't think its relevant/made a difference but by all means ask.

Afterwards: I really tried hard but couldn't get the Out of memory error any more. Sometimes I had low frame rate in one or two areas (where there was literally a sea of red dots [Rocktropian person mobs] on the radar) but I suspect thats literally graphics performance. Occasionally I got a bit of chugging where memory was probably being shifted about. The highest I could get the EU used RAM to go was around the 1.8GB mark but as I said, no crash.

I worked the solution through from reading these websites if anyone is interested in the details:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9240697
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff542202.aspx

I should also say my friend from Crytek told me about windows and the "user memory" issue which sorta sent me on the right path.

I hope this can help someone else. I was really really getting frustrated by this problem after so long.

Good Luck
    Wistrel

• Like Like x 3
  2. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Interesting. I use that command for allowing database servers to "steal" 1 GB of RAM from the OS at work on 32 bit machines.

3. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

yup thats what it does... according to my friend at Crytek. For legacy reasons windows by default splits the ram in two and says "yup I'll have half" whether it needs it or not. This was a little bit of an issue with them in ce2 as they were effectively limited to 2 gb in win 32 os's. I knew I used to run windows fine with a gig total so figured the world wouldn't end if I tried giving it a little less. No problems so far... fingers crossed

4. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

I'm just happy I got a 64-bit computer *beams*

5. Danoclese

Danoclese I sense a "Disturbance" in the Force

Ahh, an "elegant" solution. thanks, Wistrel!

6. Shadowsong

Shadowsong Collateral Damage

Superb find Wistrel, sorted the problem for me. Last night I was bouncing every 10 mins or so, today I had a glorious uninterrupted 2 hour session.

Huge thanks, from my family as well, no longer being subjected to my "OOM rage".

*FYI - I'm running Vista, 4Gb ram.

7. AxeMurderer

AxeMurderer Master Of Entropia

few days ago I moved to 64 bit win 7 from 32 bit win 7 and so far no CTD/out of memory or whatssoevar.
    even tried better graphic quality, just got very litle lag when turning in twin, but no crash

8. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

No not yet... I guess I should do. I think its a tricky one for them to put out there "officially" though since its a "bit of a hack" so to speak. They could tell people to do it with a disclaimer though that if anything goes wrong it isn't their fault.

9. When I enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 2560" in a commandprompt, I get:

bcdedit is not recognized as a command, program or batchfile

What now?

Running rather old XP session with 8gigs of RAM.
    Keep crashing in busy areas because of this bug.

10. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

The command will not work on XP. For XP SP3, make sure your Windows Explorer is set to diplay hidden files and folders, and then navigate to the root of your drive (typically: C:). Look for a file called boot.ini. I would suggest you to take a copy of that file just in case.

Open boot.ini in your favourite text editor, and look for the following line:

Add behind it:

(note the trailing space).

The line should now read:

Save boot.ini, and reboot.

11. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Thanks admin - saved me the trouble. Yes, my solution as it is will only go on win7 and vista probably win8 too when that goes.

12. Sorry for necro'ing this but something came up.

I just installed Win7 on my rig, finally deserting XP. Setup is 64-bit Ultimate, 3 Gb RAM

Still having HUGE problems with the old "Out of RAM" issue so I tried Wistrels trick.

Problem is I get this: "acces denied to data layer" when trying the command...

Anyone that knows what they are doing have a hunch of what to do?

Please... :)

13. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Whoa... thats a new one... dunno... Will have to have a google... :-/

Wouldn't say it was a necroing its still a current issue/fix - should ask someone here to sticky this thread actually...

14. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Try this:

from: http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/10675-bcdedit-access-denied.html#post43290

15. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Thought I'd bump this as a lot of people been complaining of CTD's at Cyrene, in some cases it sounds like it might be due to high mob number and some comparing them to similar issues experienced at RT. It was the RT crashes that originally forced me to come up with this fix so thought it might be a good time to revive it.

16. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Is there any chance of stickying this maybe?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.