Old news - Starcitizen switches "away" from CryEngine

Discussion in 'Other games and gaming' started by Wistrel, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...mises-move-amazons-lumberyard-wont-delay-game

This happened in December apparently and isn't quite as disastrous as it sounds. A little while ago amazon, well you could say they "saved" crytek (iirc) by buying CryEngine. So they took it and started developing it with their own uses in mind. In short they wanted a nice looking game engine they could give to people for free and encourage them to make games that, if suited, would run on amazon's cloud architecture. They focused on networking and scalability and UI tools.

So star citizen switched thinking that amazon's engine development was better funded/resourced and went in a direction they would benefit from as opposed to where Crytek were going (answers on a post card for that one).

Reading the article it sounds like the 2 core builds of cryengine (amazon's and Starcitizen's) were so similar that it was only a few days work to change that bit over. In short no drama and likely no engine switch related delays.

Makes me wonder though about little ol' MindArk. Would they ever want to switch from their rather dated version of Cryengine to Amazon's version and then maybe look at cloud hosting the game?

I dream of a day that someone from MA would actually read this and comment from a technical standpoint about the ins and outs, benefits and challenges of doing this.

But no... it won't happen. I will carry on dreaming.

Wistrel

2. dalewj

dalewj StoryTeller/Nerd/Gamer

OMG never hope a game changes engines. It has never been good

3. I knew amazon wanted to reach for the stars with its CE derivative "lumberyard" and this way,
    did support Crytek with like 50-70.000.000 $ of licensing fees. Thats what the rumors said in early 2015.

Then Crytek couldnt pay its employees on time...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

That's not true. It happens a lot more often than you think, and generally speaking, the CTO of the company will have darn good reasons for doing so. Sometimes the company will discover that an enigne simply is a bad fit for their type of game. Other times, specific problems cannot be solved in the engine of choice, after which it will most likely involve a painstaking transfer to a different engine.

And then there's the rare occasion where an engine switch is driven by marketing, while totally disregarding the technical aspect of such a switch.

• Funny Funny x 1

5. Or vice versa, move from a great engine to a great engine...just to realize that you cant handle it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.