Next Island Power Point - 7/14/10

Discussion in 'Next Island' started by Great Dane, Jul 23, 2010.

1. I ran across this Next Island power point presentation dated July 14, 2010. It appears to be a presentation that might be used to solicit investors.

The opening frame indicates Next Island will launch in September (2010). The first time travel destination will apparently be Ancient Greece.

Targeted audience: casual gamers (Facebook, Farmville), new gamers, women gamers, Second Life and current Planet Calypso players.

One slide reports a $1.4 million investment by David Post and other insiders.

It would be nice to hear something more from David Post about the launch date.

2. Lykke TheNun

Lykke TheNun Lootius bless you all!

Awesome find :) Were did you come across that again??

One thing which hits me, when reading it:

On page 3: I know the connection with avatar and Facebook, but what has the sale of CP to do with Next Island?

And yes, I agree that more info from David P would be great!

3. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Explorer

Very nice find. Thanks for sharing.

They plan to have a small facebook game linking to main game. Very interesting way to market it.

4. John BD

John BD Subwoofers rock.

it still apears to have some typos and miswording like noob players should be newb players big diference there :D
    so id say its a rough sketch on promotion idea's, ofc only 1 can answer it without doubts :)

5. I find very hard to believe their figures

They expect to get 15K users in one year each one spending an average over 120 USD per year.

but with costs assuming that such users will only spend 1 hour of their server for each dollar spent.

That might been the case in the early games when their was little competition but now:
    there are dozen and dozens

of item mall games arround for users to choose from.

So they better come up with very innovative things or else it will fail their expectations by far.

Also to be concerned is that they express envy for some of the worst scumbags tricks the online games has ever seen (the CEO admitted)
    (they were doing it to gain money so that they gain momentum to become market leaders at which point they decided it would be OK to go with more decent approach: Zynga)

Dubious advertising doesn't inspire my confidence either when it is a serious matter, what do they mean with: Currency linked to the Bank of Sweden, as far as I remember the depositors in EU are not priority creditors of MA, they probably fall behind employees.

6. EwoK

EwoK Southern Fortress Engineering

i too find their figures VERY hard to believe and even harder to justify given our collective knowledge of how the Calypso model is working. They seem to have based all their figures purely on historical ones from PE/EU/PC which we all know is fluff at the very best.

Still, they have some interesting ideas with the marketing side that FPC should/could take note of.

7. Einstein

Einstein King of Atrax Beach

goodluck to them! Unless they are backed by a ton of money and a biiig dev. team they will never reach there target.
    15k active users in first year?? 157k in 2nd lol.
    How many PE has?
    And rocktopia? 100?

They seem to be even worse than MA in their blah blah blah

8. I have a difficulty believing these figures.
    But on the other hand, the document might have never been used, just uploaded in order to show someone far away.

But.. It would be funny if it actually worked out for them and they bringed 157 000 players all thanks to privacyrape-book! :D

9. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Active players who globalled at least once on either of the planets in the first half year of 2010 was prolly not much greater than 6,500, if my memory of our tracker data serves me well.

OTOH, using clever new marketing techniques might pull people in. The problem will be getting them to stay. With MAs idea of loot balancing, that might prove to be a lot harder than imagined by Next Island Inc.

10. aridash

aridash large throbbing member

like Rocktropia, the success will be down to how much marketing they do. if they just hope to get 15k users by word of mouth, its not going to happen. if they seed other portals and media outlets (ie facebook page, some press and even magazine ads) 15k might be achievable. bear in mind they probably have an inside idea of how many people create accounts currently. $10/mth* is pretty reasonable too. 157k in year two is pretty far fetched though, unless thy embark on some substatntial marketing.

do bear in mind, as pointed out slide 10, they have TV vechile they can use to cross promote. no idea how popular that is, but its not to be dismissed. reading their marketing it does sound like they might grow quite quickly if they execute whats described.

*erm... do you think any of the propective investors will note the $20/mth on one page then $1.8m for 15k users which translates to $10mth? (or is that based on some clever incrementing of users over the year???) i think $10 a mth is realistic average, $20 not so much.

11. 15K active users
    Paying each an average of 120 USD per year isn't a realistic number unless they come up with lots and lots of good content,
    and for that they would had to spend much more than what the report says (even if their developers where based in China/India).

My hope is that they come with such content.

12. 15,000 people per year depositing $20 is perfectly reasonable.

People deposit $20, $50, $100, or more --- and then leave frustrated that they didnt make it big. Ive not even been in EU half a year and I am already out of fingers from counting how many people I have met who have made the mistake of depositing big and chasing globals --- and who subsequently quit in frustration.

15,000 people isnt retained people Its just 15,000 x $20. As for the individuals that global... if we had 6,000 individuals globalling in 2010 so far, we're perfectly on target ourselves for a 15,000 figure. The year isnt even half over.

13. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.