1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Narfi's Life after EU: Chapter Four - FS17 a 17ft V-Hull Powerboat

Discussion in 'Life, the Universe and Everything' started by narfi, Sep 20, 2017.

1. narfi

narfi Lost

Oct 13, 2018

I cut the tops out for the rounded seat boxes.
    Think I will bond an extra layer of 3/8 to the bottom where the swivel will mount. So it will bolt through 3/4 of plywood plus glass.

Trimmed the tops of the console base boxes a little more and cut access holes for the hoses to the fuel tank.

Layed out the triangle supports for the underside of the front deck and routed the corners down with a 1/2" roundover bit. I have lots of 12oz tape, I'm thinking I'll do two layers of tape over the triangles plus 1 layer of 12oz cloth over the entire bottom.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Need to clean out all the dust and start laying in some fairing compound so I can get the insides of the compartments sanded primed and painted before it's too cold.... snow on the mountains already.....

2. narfi

narfi Lost

Oct 14, 2018

Birthday today. (One year to go till I hit the big 4 0)
    Anniversary tomorrow. 13 years (we planned the weading day after my birthday so I could remember the date)

No restaurants here, but a coworker of mine is a formally educated chef, so I got him to cater our anniversary meal and we had it tonight.

Salad and pork belly confe (no idea on spelling but it's like a cross between bacon and pulled pork awsomeness)

Flat Iron steaks with roasted baby potatoes, carrots and asparagus.

And home made icecream.

This afternoon I glued down the front deck reinforcements and double taped them, then covered the entire surface with 12oz cloth. (So 3x layers of 12oz at the reinforcements)
    [​IMG]

3. narfi

narfi Lost

Oct 15, 2018

Trimmed the excess glass off the deck and fitted it in place and jumped on it. Even not glued down yet or cloth over the top it is sturdy enough so I am happy.

First coat of weave fill/fairing material applied to rear compartments and seat boxes.

Even with the cooler evenings here heating the half med half fast epoxy is going well, one batch even kicked before I was fully applied with it, so worked faster after that and turned the heater off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. narfi

narfi Lost

Oct 16, 2018

Spent a couple hours sanding this evening in the most difficult compartment of the whole project.

It's the deepest and all the angles are tight.....
    [​IMG]
    This is also where I had lots of cloth and tape overlaps, so lots of grinding needed, which is simple on the flat surfaces but impossible in the corners.

Is there a good tool for such corners?
    I was thinking maybe a little angle die grinder with sanding disks or corse scotch bright pads?

5. narfi

narfi Lost

Got Sept and Oct progress posted here on EP.
    Sad thing I just realized its been almost a month since Ive made any progress, the dark saps my energy and after dinner I am less likely to go out to the tent and sand or work on the next step than I am in the summer when its daylight till midnight.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Its a big project. So take your time. It will be even better.