My view on the SEE planets

Discussion in 'SEE' started by RAZER, Sep 23, 2010.

1. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

I have been talking a bit about this with Stave on Skype and this is my view on the upcoming SEE planets.

They told us they will be making 'movie' planets and 'artist' planets (the MJ planet being the first). My view on this is that they will make a planet with sponsor money from a big movie (lets say Avatar for example). This movie will invest a bucked of money in a planet as a online virtual promotion tool for their movie and SEE will make it for them and do the advertisement. This will attract a lot of players who are fan of the movie and wanna play on the planet they have seen in the movie. Of course after a while the movie will be out of the theaters and the DVD will be in the $5,-- sale display in the shops. So slowly the movie will be 'forgotten' and the planet 'dies'. Then a new movie comes out and it all starts over again. This way there will be a lot of planets made (didn't SEE say 3 a year??) but they will only exist for a year maybe (with the exception of 1 or 2 that will stay interesting).

This is the only way I can think of to make 3 planets a year and keep them populated. So what is your idea on this??

This brings me to a nice idea I just had about the DVD. Why not add a flyer with the DVD (or Blue-ray of course) with an action code on it that will give you some free stuff in game as thanks you for buying the original movie and not downloading it.
    If SEE does this just remember it is my idea !! :D

2. narfi

narfi Lost

That is pretty much how I see it happening as well. Though im sure there will be plenty of twists to it that none of us will forsee.

narfi

3. EwoK

EwoK Southern Fortress Engineering

call me pessimistic, but i really am struggling to see what longer term benefit these planets are going to have for the Entropian community....i can however see the benefit for MA, but then that's good business.

4. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Explorer

it's a tricky one but if they play it right i think they can have long term viable planets. For example if they concentrated on making planets of media with cult followings, these would stand the test of time.

If they did make planets which are likely to have a short life span i think their plan is to have those combined onto one planet with multiple distinct continents. If in the same planet they populated one continent of a cult status that would prop up the other continents and continued success of the planet as a whole...

We'll just have to wait and see what their plans are but from what i have seen so far planet michael is likely to be a long term success for a number of reasons.

5. aridash

aridash large throbbing member

you are making the mistake so many do, of expecting there is supposed to be a benefit for the "entropian community". dont. MA have not engaged in this business model to help you.

that said, hopefully the marketing of other planets will increase the profile of Calypso and there will be immigrants players from those planets. there will be emigrantion too, hopefully a net gain in overall population improves all.

to the OP topic, i don think thats the idea at all. they will select movie franchises that have some longer term or general appeal. the film makers will be charging them to use the IP, not funding the planets as promotional tools.

6. Interesting concept... (L) planets!

7. Norbert

Norbert Cartoon Head

My personal view is that any movie/musician based franchise will be short lived in it's popularity. Most of them have such a short life in the hearts and minds of people, mainly i think due to the daily barrage of media that we are subjected to in these modern times. Maybe epic, well established films such as star wars, terminator, star trek, LOTR, harry potter would work well, but many of these already have rights given to other companies that currently run mmo's based upon them.

So i wonder what on earth would be left, even avatar i think would be a short bubble of interest, planet Michael i don't think will be a resounding success. Maybe in the time of Moonwalker at the prime of his career it would have flown, but i doubt very much it will catch the attention of all but diehard fans. Ofc i could be wrong not being MJ's greatest fan, especially after all the later life stuff that happened.

It will certainly be interesting to see what SEE pull out the hat but so far not to impressed tbh. I really hope that they are successful with Planet Michael but personally i can't see it.

8. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

To offer a counter-pov, a well-thought out game can attract people even years later. I still play Diablo 2 every now and then when time allows it, and there still do seem to be players in there. Granted, it's not StormWind on a busy WOW server, but seeing the game is 10+ years old and still has an active userbase of hundreds says a lot.

A few hundred die-hard MJ fans might be enough to keep the planet running for a few years, and if the game techniques employed are groundbreakingly different enough, it might continue to attract people for a long time.

No, this will not benefit Entropians in the long run, but like others suggested, people might move to a different planet and us players might be able to benefit through that. I personally mostly hope that somehow the huge drop in the value of our skills and items will somehow be offset, and that at some point there will be a planet that will allow for money to last, while at the same time not having that grind feeling over it. Cyrene or Next Island comes to mind.

9. Thorn

Thorn Proud CND Baby

Okay who wants t put their money on an Elvis Planet? Or Planet Hendrix could be pretty trippy! LOL But imagine a Middle Earth planet or Star Wars even. Either way it will be interesting to watch which direction they go.

10. Lykke TheNun

Lykke TheNun Lootius bless you all!

Let's make a 60'-70'ies planet :D Wolkswagen, flower power, disco, fun tobacco and big sun glasses .. not to forget groovy, hippies, weird dancing steps, free love and Austin Power Look Alikes :D

11. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Groovy, baby, yeah!

12. John BD

John BD Subwoofers rock.

movie planets wil propably turn out to be temporary but some might stick, example a star trek planet would be always populated and called home by trekkies
    The MJ planet will always hold some eternal fans.

over time they end up with the best planets and ditch the ones dieing if they keep that up itl all stay alive, just do have to clean up after :)

hmm imagine a Bond planet 007 gadgets in vehicles etc etc :D

13. Lykke TheNun

OMG there's a BUG in your profile :eek:

14. MindStar9

MindStar9 Floating in Space

I noticed that too and was going to report a bug infestation to management. :D

15. I'd certainly play that :D

16. Lykke TheNun

Hmm how many entropians would we need to buy shares in such a project to make that happen ??? :D

17. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Exactly 4815162342!

:D

18. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Explorer

incorrect !

Coorect answer is ofc 42 :yay:

19. You have this part the wrong way round.

SEE license intellectual properties from other organisations. That means SEE pay the rights holder (the film company, MJ's estate, etc) for a license to use their content or brand.

20. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

Yes they did on the MJ planet, but imagine that some how making a planet works to get people to watch a movie of buy music, movie and film companies would love to pay for that.
    I think this could be the revolution the music and movie industry is waiting for to counteract the loss in sales on account of downloading (not that I believe it's because of that, but that's their story anyway)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.