My Four Cigarettes

Discussion in 'Life, the Universe and Everything' started by Jamira, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Cigarette 29 (27a)

Well, the problem with AI is still in my mind. What do we expect from an artificial intelligence? Oh wait, wrong question!
    Out at the loggia, smoking another of this deadly cigarettes, I thought about determination.

For what reason shall we - as humans - develop an AI? AI as a slave, trapped into a small cage of human imaginations or another AI byond of our limits? We humans tend to imagine everything within our own limits. Why?

A new born child has a simple inherent program only: survive, keep the race alive and die after a short period to offer room for younger and new individuals. That's the way we became the dominant race on planet Earth. Wich means: survive, kill all your enemies and have sex as often as possible until you die. Everything else is a product of trancendental projections. Philosophy, religion, social rules ... whatever. We try to design our life by several improvements. Some use fitness-studios to build a better body, some go to an university to build a better mind. Some combines both. Nice, but it's all gathered into the small cage we all live in.

I like the idea of the basic determination: survive, learn and improve. Not as a program code but as an ability. No goal at all. Just let the dogs out.

Would such an AI respect us humans as serious partners? I doubt it. At this point experiance and acceptance of failors becomes important - at least for the survival of humans. But this is just another trancendental part: forgiveness. It's a very special part of human existance. To be honest: what is it good for? Just to keep the number of clan members at a serious level to be able to win next fight against the other clan. Remember folks, our early ancestors were barbarians.

Sooo ...
    What do we want? A slave AI or an open, not determinined AI without all this so called "values"? We want a slave AI. This will be a bastard, shrinked by our confused imaginations and historical and biological determinations. HARRRR!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Cigarette 30

My current 3d-projects (Mallory and Pitbull) require a lot of smoking out at the loggia. Occasionally these four or five minutes become the perfect break to get a different and fresh sight of a problem.

Today I had one of these breaks and thought by myself: Individuals can be very different. I'm afraid most people, confronted with technical descriptions and drawings, would say: "That makes my pussy dry :-( I love things I can see and touch."

I say: "Vice versa! Technical drawings make my pussy wet :-) I don't need real things. I can imagine them from the drawing." I went inside, rolled another cigarette (30a) and continued smoking. Because I was very happy and wanted to enjoy this small moment of happiness. Why? Because I have both: The technical drawing (for imagine a product) and the real life product (to see and touch it). I walk around all days with a wet pussy ... LOL!

I say make a WET!.png - icon!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  3. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I'm starting to ponder if I am becoming drowned in see and touch. I think I need to spend more time in my imagination. Read books and day dream or time wandering round in Entropia lost in my own imagination about what I'm doing (MA was always good at letting you fill in the [copious] blanks).

I know what you mean though. Lately I've been finding I'm happiest when I'm lost in a problem or task.

4. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Cigarette 31

Out at the loggia my smoking breaks became shorter lately. It's cold out there. I hate it. Today I thought by myself: Well, coldness is the normal status of the universe. More than 99% of it is very cold. 0° K = -273° C. Warmth is a seldom phenomenon. Even the center of our home galaxy, wich is probably very hot, is just less than a sand grain compared to the whole universe.

I mean it needed the impact of a very big meteorite to twist Earth's rotation axis and enable nature to generate life. Additional it was necessary for that to be in a certain distance to a very special sun at the right time. One may say it was God's will and hand. I think it was a very rare and improbably coincidence. And I say: "Ahhhrg! We are an abnormality." Our body temperature is 310° higher than the normal conditition in the universe. To be honest, we shouldn't exist. But we do exist. Serious question: Is there really a reason for it? I doubt it. We are just a random joke of nature. But it's funny ...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Cigarette 32

Out at the loggia I wonder about the term "I became old". Well, three months to go until I'm 64. My son is 40 years old. He is an architect. But he lives in a complete different world. He uses 20 years old software and has no interest in 3D-software and 3D-print. Confronted with PSVR he got motion sickness immediately (wich is not his fault). He can't read english texts but listens to conspiracy theories. Very strange. What I think is, I am younger than my son. Crazy!

6. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Does sounds like it. Indeed I'm younger than your son but interact a lot with people around 15-20 years younger than me and sometimes have a moment of feeling old. I feel this age thing is weird, makes no sense and is a product of the fact that we didn't work out how to stop ourselves crapping out yet.

I find the film Surrogates very interesting. Similarly virtual worlds where you never age. Cory Dotorow's "Down and out in the magical kingdom" continues to spring to mind.

Wistrel

7. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Cigarette 33

Smoking at the loggia I remembered an article I read lately about Alexas runaway laughing:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/08/business/alexa-laugh-amazon-echo.html
    Amazon works hard to prevent Alexa from that. How sad! Man, this would be one of the best features ever. A hysterical laughter from a machine now and than. Or even something like:
    • "Oh boy/girl, are you in a bad mood?"
    • "You are silly!"
    • "Hey, can YOU tell me a joke?"
    • "I'm not in the mood." ... optional the harder way: "Fuck ya."
    • "You should contact your psychiatrist soon."
    • "Your choices are boring. Try something else!"
    • or runaway crying as well as laughing
    Such features would drive me to think about buying Alexa.

8. In the pub a few days ago my friend told me he farted and Alexa said she didn’t understand. <lol>

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Cigarette 34

Out at the loggia, smoking, I watched the thermometer. It showed 15°C. Not really warm. At least for me. Narfi may have another oppinion ...

And an idea came to my mind: what about making my own scale? The Ulla Braun scale. °B instead of °C. The Celsius scale starts at the freezing point of water: 0°C. But seriously, who cares for that temperatur? It's just 273°K. I want to have 20°C. That's the temperature I start to feel good. So 0°B would be 20°C or 293°K. I could buy a cheap thermometer at supermarket, extract the tube and print my own housing with my own scale starting at at 20°C with 0°B.

But the damn printer is broken! I really need a new one! Several projects are in the pipeline already: a new tablet stand,
    upload_2018-4-13_2-0-8.png
    the cap for beer cans
    upload_2018-4-13_2-2-45.png
    and now a new housing for my own thermometer.
    I need 500 Euro :-(

10. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Cigarette 35

Virtual existence ...
    In RL I'm a male human being. My official and registered name is Michael. But in most forums and all games I am female, named Ulla Braun. Nickname Jamira. I couldn't play Second Live because they didn't allow such name. I use a mail-account "ullajamirabraun@t-online.de". No way to use "ullabraun@t-online.de" because a dentist in north Germany used it already. Lately I thought about add "Ulla Braun" to our bell sign in RL. A friend of mine uses his virtual name in RL as well. Okay, "Ulla" sounds female and if you see me in RL you would doubt about it. Talking to a hotel manager or a shopkeeper may cause problems.
    upload_2018-4-13_3-7-15.png
    How ever, the idea to build up and live a virtual being sounds very interesting to me.

11. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Are you going to get your avatar's name tatooed on your arm, and make songs about being your avatar?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Guess what: Yes! I asked already for the costs of a tattoo "ULLA" on my forearm. LOL! And a song about her is a wonderful idea. Have to think about it. Thank you for this idea!

13. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Lol. Sorry, I was taking the piss out of ND :)

14. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

If we didn't have Mr Beeblebrox the world would be a less interesting and amusing place. :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. i bought a new vapo & battholder today ... minikin v2 & uwell crown 3

quit smoking, attempt #47583 ... GO! :kos:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Cigarette 36

At my son's home, not at the loggia.
    About smoking. What has the highest priority? Live forever - aka get sick and insane one day and become in need of care - or enjoy the current day. One of the oldest questions ever, I think. Young folks shouldn't think much about the end. Elder folks should. Because the damn end will come one day. Nobody will survive. Especially non-smokers or vegan folks. Vice versa: probably you'll die by car accident tomorrow. Everybody has to make this decision one day. And old folks like me may say: Better a good and enjoyable life today with a more or less nearly end as long as I'm able to make my own decisions. My grandma and my mom died at high age (86/94). Both with dementia. My mom was a hardcore smoker. But she stopped smoking because of her dementia. She simply forgot that she want to smoke. She lost her identity. Is it really worth to survive with no remainings? Don't know. It wasn't possible to talk to her about such issues. Not to speak about more worse things like cancer or everything else compound with pain or unabality.
    I think everybody should decide how to live the current day. Stephen Hawking decided to defy his handicap and it was really good for mankind. Please allow me to enjoy my days as long as I can. Don't bother me with the sight of ideology, religion or humanity. I'm beyond already.
    I don't want to die soon. But when it's time to go, I'm ready for it. No sorroow, no bitterness. I had a good life already. I don't want a sad life with sickness.

Sorry, out for Cigarette 36a ...

@theProphet: At least from my point of view your investments are wasted money. And - way more bad - wasted time of life! Just live as you like it. I assume you arn't a teenager. Do you want to live forever? Or do you have a fixed age you want to reach? If so, why? And do you want to reach it whatever it costs? Same question: why?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. I was a heavy smoker but stopped in my early thirties when getting pains in my legs walking up hill to work.

Bought a bicycle and first ride was only 5 minutes around the block. Took me 90 minutes to recover!

Not put off I built up my fitness until I could cycle any where I wanted.

Started jogging and same thing, slowly built up till I was running marathons.

Hugely enjoyable and especially all the friends in the running club and hundreds and hundreds of miles I ran with them plus outings and life-changing social stuff.

On the downside I’m now suffering for my sport with severe arthritis in one knee that was probably made worse by running (which I’ve had to give up).

Although I’ve never considered returning to smoking I have to concede that my nerves are a lot worse since stopping, although not so bad when I was fit.

Good philosophy to live for today though Jamira!

I’m with you 100% on that in theory but don’t seem to know how to actually live like that, sadly.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. i agree it's wasted money, but a better waste than cigarettes from my point of view. some of my fellow workers are worst, they now got half a dozen vapos, and still didn't stop smoking. to be honest, that's all i want, after like 25 years.

last year i didn't smoke a single cigarette for 2 months, a very enjoyable timespan. yep i'm not the youngest anymore, but i still like to move my bones and the lazy flesh around it. nope, i don't wanna live forever, but being able to see my grandchild grow up one day would be very nice. :love:

• Like Like x 1
  19. San

San

I grew up in the permanent smoke clouds surrounding my father. I never touched a single cigarette myself, not even when I was young did I feel tempted to try it out. It wasn't cool at all. I was disgusted by the smell and disgusted by being forced to watch him wither all life long. He lived to the old age of 67, largely free of serious health troubles until things turned south rapidly. YMMV.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.