mmorpg interview with David Simmonds - CEO of MindArk

Discussion in 'General Entropia Universe Discussion' started by GeorgeSkywalker, Jan 31, 2012.

1. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Interesting interview. The one thing that stands out to me is that David specifies it will be possible to vote about which features ought to be handled. That is supposed to be a MindArk feature, so not sure why deed owners would be able to vote on that.

2. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Explorer

He's just giving examples which aren't necessarily calypso specific.

In terms of development priority I would have liked more options like mult-voting and priotities totalled overall. Also would be nice if the playerbase could trigger a voting question which they have formulated.

3. Hi,

Oh oh, I don't know if questions like this should be answered by a poll - the outcome isn't hard to determine, in this case at least. Poor melee ppl ...

I understand this is just an example.

But it points to the problem that votes like this can be very dangerous:
    • The majority of the people will always vote for anything that comes wrapped in a nice, shiny question, not realizing that they might hurt their own interests in the long run.
    • Votes like this will obviously create a "mainstreamlined" way of development, ignoring the needs of minorities.
    • And it's quite easy to use such a tool to justify drastic measures with the "You voted this way" argument - "Should we even out the healing power of the different FAP's?", then nerfing the ModFaps, to give a grossly exaggerated example.
    Besides, I think it's a bit strange that 3 of the 4 examples for votes are actually things that are concerning all of EU, not just Calypso - such must be avoided! Ppl that have invested into deeds of a certain planet might vote about things concerning this certain planet, but never about things that concern the whole game!

Well, we'll see how this will evolve.

Have a good time!

• Like Like x 1
  4. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Explorer

Good post.

This is the kind of thing that happened to EVE. The result of which is many players left the game for good (some now play EU). By many I'm talking of thousands.

Let's hope in EU they actually think about the consequences before makign such votes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.