Meditation?

Discussion in 'The Black Hole' started by GeorgeSkywalker, Mar 24, 2013.

1. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Explorer

Anyone into meditation? Know of any good resources in this area?

2. Tass

Tass Administrator

The book from the "for dummies" series is often refered to, no experience myself.

3. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Other than the meditation done before martial arts classes, no. But I'd not really consider that meditation anyway. It's more a reflection/clear your mind process.

The one thing I do know about meditation is that your breathing is key.

4. I've practiced Vedic mantra meditation since I was 10, so about 22 years off and on.

There are many different forms of meditation, so I suppose it really comes down to what you're looking for. There are a plethora of different systems out there, so i'd hesitate to try and point you in any particular direction.

This is a Time Magazine article that gives a pretty good objective overview of some of the benefits.

Some things I can say off the top of my head:

• It does positively affect my health.
    • It does increase my general peace of mind.
    • I am generally more efficient, focussed, and require much less sleep.
    • On a spiritual level (if that interests you), I find it helps place me in a better mental state for philosophical contemplation and dialectic. I also find it easier to initiate/stick to other spiritual disciplines and practices.
    All that being said, it is a discipline in itself, and needs to be practised consistently in order for the benefits to be realised. I go through periods of regular practice (sometimes lasting years) and at other times it falls away. It does take a concerted effort to establish the discipline.

My system prescribes two 1/2 hour sessions per day, but that will vary depending on the school/system.

Happy to discuss further if you'd like, on here or ingame.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.