Mars One - would you go?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Tass, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Tass

Tass Administrator

"The Mars One Foundation is a not-for-profit organization that will establish a permanent human settlement on Mars.
    A reliable surface habitat will be set up before the first crew lands; more settlers and cargo will follow every two years.
    Our plan is realistic because the technology needed already exists and can be purchased from the private space industry.
    The first footprint on Mars will fascinate and inspire generations; it is this public interest that will help finance this human mission to Mars. Join our global effort by sharing our vision with your friends, supporting us and perhaps becoming a Mars astronaut yourself."

http://www.mars-one.com

• Like Like x 1
  2. EwoK

EwoK Southern Fortress Engineering

Some days, YES without a second thought. But then I realise I couldn't take my 2 Jack Russells with me, and that is a deal breaker for me. I treasure nothing more highly in this world than my girls Penni and Suzie.

20130707_152350.jpg

(Yes, this is one of those extremely rare times I show a soft side to ol' Jim :sneaky:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. sissi

sissi sissi

Where is check-in? Btw, is this the reality show expedition?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. A reliable surface habitat will be set up before the first crew lands. By what?

5. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

They intent to send un manned crafts to Mars first which will setup the base and start up production of water and oxygen if I'm correct.

Yep

6. sissi

sissi sissi

Guess an automated landing module.

7. Then that means robots which will have to be controlled remotely, but by whom and where, unless they're autonomous which is unlikely.

8. sissi

sissi sissi

I have no problem with viewers watching me play chess with HAL for a couple months.:lam:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. RAZER

[​IMG]

So pods that drop to the surface and all have a specific task and later on can be connected to eachother I believe.

10. sissi

sissi sissi

Why would an autonomous module be unlikely?

11. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Yeh a friend of mine thinks it could work but seriously have you seen some of the application videos? Its not far off the Big Brother Auditions. As for me, no I wouldn't want to go to Mars. I think I'd be too scared to go to space even with the current technology. Maybe the Virgin Galactic though but even that would be scary.

When I was little I think maybe I wanted to be an astronaut but then I watched the James May program where he went to near space. I saw his reaction to being in a space suit. I think I'd be similar.

I just watched Gravity too and found it fairly terrifying.

12. RAZER

Might be a Big Brother-is auditions, but as far as I know you need to go trough some tests and training to see if you are suitable. I also believe that they will not make a group that will have fights and kill each other in a few months (would be interesting TV though) and they will be looking for useful people and not, like any other reality programs, where there is always a few just because they look pretty :)

13. narfi

narfi Lost

Is it still supposed to be a one way trip?
    That's the killer for most people, and also the plot for good stories.....

The hero's family dies, or some other tragedy cuts all his earthly ties opening the door for him to stumble into the mars mission recruiting offices and sign his life away in a drunken stupor.
    Once arriving on mars he finds that the company he is so faithfully destroying himself for are actually the ones who caused the downfall of his loved ones back on earth.
    Stuck on an alien planet, surrounded by enemies, no support for millions of miles in any direction, what will he do? Blindly keep working for the company he now hates, or attempt a suicidal mission to uncover their evil and make right the wrongs of the universe?

For the rest of us though, we have loved ones, and ties that hold us to earth, and the reason they hold us, is because they are better than adventure, better than fame, they are our love.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. sissi

sissi sissi

15. Because it's only ten years away and it's unlikely that we'll have autonomous robots capable of doing the whole job without human intervention plus there's the materials issue. We don't know enough about Mars to know what is where and in what quantities. So this leaves remote control as an alternative, but this has it's problems also in terms of time. The only way I see this Mars mission happening is if it is a manned one from the start and the modules are either prefabbed before being placed in the mission craft or they are made on route.

16. narfi

narfi Lost

of course the modules will be pre fabbed, so there wont be 'local' resources into building the habitats.
    The little coffins you will live the rest of your life within should be easily setup or buried (to protect from radiation) autonomously before you arrive.

17. I've been following that one with interest. Terra-forming has always been one of my fantasies ever since I became a mad trekkie . But a one way mission? No way, it's way too risky atm but hats off to the ones who plan to go.

18. http://www.mars-one.com/en/faq-en/22-faq-mission-features/249-will-mars-one-use-advanced-technologies-like-terraforming-and-nuclear-propulsion

Kinda unfortunate that Mars-One is only making use of current technologies and are not doing R&D of their own.

But back on topic... Would I go? I still find the idea ludicrous especially since they're only sending people there with the plan to keep them alive and then sending 4 more people every two years... As far as I know they have no plans for tera-forming the planet or mass expansion of the colony. (They did mention 3D printing but where is that gonna get them xD)

I think I'd consider going if the plans they laid out where on a far greater scale. On the other hand although I said it's ludicrous a mission like this has to be taken in these small steps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.