Low budget 3D-printing again ...

Discussion in 'General Entropia Universe Discussion' started by Jamira, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

To say it politely: I am not amused. My wife was a bit more sarcastic: This printer isn't ocean-going, is it?
    The story in short:
    2013 - September: I bought a FreeSculpt 3D-printer from PEARL. It was shipped originally with a damaged stop end switch. I got it back repaired after a few weeks.
    2014 - June: The nozzel heater gave up. I got the printer back repaired after 10 or 12 days.
    2015 - February: The material extruder gave up. I got the printer back repaired after a few days.
    2015 - February: After 7.5 hrs of printing (overall) the toothed belts of the printer head jumped a bit. That means I got a displacement in the print of ~3 mm (after 1.5 hrs at the current job). I made a second attempt and got the same displacement because the toothed belts didn't work properly (after 40 min this time).

I have to have a serious talk to PEARL tomorrow me thinks.

2. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Wisker Fish

Eeeeeeeek!! :confused1: I hope you get it sorted!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

One solution could be:
    Karl Dönitz lost the Battle of Atlantic during WWII in 1944. He had a lot of Uboats. But only one quarter of them could operate, while another quarter was at the yard for repairs and two other quarters were on the march to or from the battlefield. Probably I should ask PEARL for four new printers instead of my one to compensate the pain and make me able to do just one print job each time?

P.S. Don't get me wrong. I don't defend or glorify what happend during WWII. It's just an example for logistics that I know.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  4. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Okay, I will get a brandnew printer. I had this announced "serious" telephone call with PEARL's customer service today. I will get a credit voucher of the price I paid once (800 Euro) and can than buy a new one. Good thing is: The actual price is 700 Euro. So I can buy some print material from the difference later ... 4 kg. Not bad :thumbup:

IF THE NEW PRINTER WILL DO IT'S DAMN JOB!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Yo, finally I am back!
    Got the new printer two weeks ago. And guess what: It was broken too! Slack joint. Maaaaaaan! Okay, they repaired it and I printed the right boot of the model today.
    20150325_003542.jpg
    I will continue with the left boot tomorrow. Hopefully the printer will hold out this time.

I decided to call her "Tamara".

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Day two.
    20150326_010313.jpg
    Left Boot and left lower leg

20150326_010352.jpg
    Okay, the parts look a bit shitty so far because I didn't use any sandpaper on them. The reason is: I will talk to a former colleague next days about taking over the finishing job (sanding, glue and paint).
    Cross fingers the printer will hold out a bit longer than in the past. Scheduled jobs for tomorrow are Tamara's left thigh and arse. Plus the belt if there is time for. Stay tuned.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Wisker Fish

Damn that's going to be good sized model! :geek:

8. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Yep. I am a bit excited. Only the left boot with lower leg are 20 cm long (~8 inch). But it is still my "step two" in an ongoing process. At this step I will check what I have to care for when making such a model - say: detailing, splitting parts, paint and such. The main goal are still two 75 cm statues of Ulla Braun. One from Entropia Universe in my old beloved Lion armour with a Niflheim equipped and one from Skyrim.

The sad thing is: it takes too much time. The parts above took ~1.5 hours of preparing and ~7.5 hours of printing each. But okay, it's worth it!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

HOLY SHIT!
    Tamara's left thigh took FIFTEEN hours to print!
    20150327_010611.jpg

I should reduce the filling rate next time dramatically.
    20150326_212235.jpg
    How ever. The printer stood through the job and I am optimistic to continue in a good way.

Just to give you an imagination of what size we are talking about:
    20150327_014853.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. wow 15 hours! Ok I guess then Youtube videos are out of the picture then :sick:

Edit: but wow you could Stream it lol

11. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

LOL!
    That YouTube and streaming things are not my business. That's all lame. Better info comes here. I couldn't resist to run a quicky (compared to the former job). The belt with 2.5 hours "only":
    20150327_044428.jpg
    I will call my potentially model finisher and painter tomorrow. Hopefully she will like to work together with me at this project. Cross fingers!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Wow long times but hopefully you can sleep on it each time. The model will be amazing at the end! What do you envision the cost in consumables to be out of interest? (but it is totally worth it to custom print your own massive model!)

13. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, the plan is to learn how it could work and how much bucks it'll cost. Not to make an amazing model yet. It is still step two only on my way to make amazing models once.
    Example: Tamara's arse.
    Arse.png
    The printer code was generated with the same filling rate (10%) like the 15 hours thigh above. I canceled the print job after 2.5 hours because the estimated printing time would have been ~20 hours!
    20150328_014520.jpg

Regarding costs ... hard to say at this early stadium. And how to calculate them? Shall I count each hour I spent with prepairing the 3D-model? What I really paid so far:
    Printer: 700 Euro (including 1 kg print material - wich is enough for this statue)
    3D-model done by a hired freelancer: ~200 Euro
    Additional I have to buy a license for Rhino3D in early June: 1100 Euro
    No clue what assembling, finishing and painting will cost. But I will keep you up to date ;-)

All costs of consumable materials (printing wire, filler, sandpaper, paint cans etc.) are really marginal compared to the effort it takes to make a good RL model.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  14. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

So we had a small progress today. Two parts of Tamara's right leg:
    20150328_021944.jpg
    Tomorrow I will try her arse again and the missing part of her right leg.
    Oh don't worry about the notch in her knee. That's the place where her arm will lie.

15. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Ah cool thanks for the info. Yup realise this is a learning curve and labour of love so to speak. I guess I was mainly thinking about cost of consumables therefore. But time taken is intesting too. There are of course two aspects. The time to do everything (design work etc) and the time to do just the human printing bit (ie set up time, checking time, post print sanding etc for each part). The latter of the two is of course the "re-print" cost

16. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Guess what! There are more than two aspects. At least one more is: my know how ;-)

17. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

The small work of today: The missing part of the right leg. I glued the parts roughly. I will break them apart again later for the finishing. Btw. the squares on the cutting mat are 50x50 mm.
    20150328_171359.jpg

I am too lazy to start another 8-hour-job today to get her arse out of the printer.

... will do McCormick's Drone instead of ...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Wisker Fish

Damn no awesome rating!
    Can't wait to this finished! :geek::geek::geek::geek::cheer:

19. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Old Tamara in a good progress. Nine hours for her butt instead of 20 :-)
    20150329_225040.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  20. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well ... the boots ... :headscratch: ... :sad: ... :banghead:

I wasn't really happy with the boots my modeler made. I told him to leave the shoelaces because the printer can't handle such fragile parts. But the boots at all arn't very good. Several overlapping parts, some open geometry ... no chance to put them together with Boolean operation in Rhino. (It's not his fault! I told him to work smart, use parts from stock or other sources etc. Accuracy and high detailing are not the goals of this stage.) But still I was unhappy. The prints of the boots are pitted and some of the details are simply too small. I had to learn (again!) that everything below 2 mm causes serious problems. Especially regarding the finishing and painting later.

So I took a break from the process and searched for better free or cheap 3D models of boots without laces but with clasps or clips or even zips. The booty was small :-( Here is what I got:
    boots collection.jpg
    From left to right: original boot from my modeler, kinda Manga accessoir boot for free, other free stuff and two boots I bought as bundle for $6 from Turbosquid. Model 3 in the middle is really too rough and model 5 at the right has too thin geometry (0.7 mm wall thickness). So I made test printings from 2 and 4.
    20150402_005928.jpg
    Both not satisfying. Than I started to remodel number 5. But it turned to become a shitload of work ...
    ... so still :banghead:

Whisper ... there are other things to do as well ;-)
    Breezehome.png

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.