Life, the Universe and Everything can continue

Discussion in 'Life, the Universe and Everything' started by Jamira, May 22, 2018.

1. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, I found at least a pretty simple model of Aloy:
    upload_2018-9-28_4-35-48.png
    I made a quick attempt at 200 mm hight. It's not good enough to put more effort into it.

This evening I got a clear announcement from my wife: "Don't fill our living room with tons of figures!" Hm. ... Why not? But okay. I will ask her for converting the dining room instead. We don't need this room. Just an unused dining table, our bookshelf with hundreds of books and an old cupboard. And all these plants my wife loves. Tbh I would like to change this room into an artist's workshop. Well, it won't happen. Just an idea ...

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Put the figures in among the plants!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

LOL! No, if I could convert this room into my studio, poor wife had to remove all her plants (some are huge). Furthermore all the furniture must be replaced by two large desktops, a working bench and an easel. Additional pedestals and shelfs for my figures and pictures. Probably a comfortable wing chair. So, no chance ...

4. Fan_boy99

Fan_boy99 Ignore Spawn and San they are Sheeples

GTA 5 anyone next weekend? (preferably 25 year old single women but all welcome.....) Better than erm making great profits on sweating? ).. 1 -2 nightclubs in GTA 5 apparently (not bought it yet)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, I finished the main quest of Horizon Zero Dawn today and the final battle. Finally Aloy meets her "mother". Breathtaking! Followed by 35 minutes end credits! LOL! In words: thirty five minutes. Now I continue with all the remaining side quests and the DLC "Frozen Wilds".

I am not the only one who is fascinated by this game and the character of Aloy. Have a look at one from cosplayer section:
    https://www.kamuicosplay.com/2017/09/15/aloy/
    upload_2018-9-29_23-41-42.png
    Pretty good job!

No response from Guerilla Games so far ... as expected. Have to ask a modeler next year (when I have the money) to model her for me. I tend to make her really big. 600 mm tall at minimum, better one meter. Late during the main quest you are able to get a very special armour: Shield Weaver Armour. A piece of the ancients. It makes you nearly invulnerable. It comes with some animated glow effects. This could become a true challenge:
    upload_2018-9-29_23-58-57.png

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  6. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

For now I want to finish an old project: OZtwo. Just running a repair program (CUR3D):
    upload_2018-9-30_0-18-47.png
    Aaaaand DANG! Computer crashed to black screen. Probably I should use netfab first ...
    Harrrr! This is the repaired model in netfab:
    upload_2018-9-30_0-32-37.png
    Doesn't look very promising. OZtwo turns out into a serious problem.

Well, CUR3D isn't able to repair OZtwo's head. It crashed again. Hm, I paid 50 € for this program :(

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  7. That smile though... x'D

That 6%...and that exclamation mark on top of it !

+ the "Doesn't look very promising. OZtwo turns out into a serious problem." made my day today. ;D

8. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Yo, got it sorted meanwhile.
    After another attempt without hair and black screen I decided to accept CUR3D's default settings and it was done within a few seconds. At 300% size and a changed position:
    upload_2018-9-30_1-9-48.png
    What a mess!
    Finally scaled and positioned:
    upload_2018-9-30_1-28-21.png

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  9. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

19 :D

10. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, I have a serious problem while the printer is running. The software tells me how many levels a print has and the printer shows millimeters. Since I usually use 0,2 mm per level it becomes a bit tricky. So 437 levels is how many millimeters again? It's easy to calculate it, sure. 437*0,2=87,4. Unfortunately half an hour later I forgot this number. I decided to make a small display wich remembers me of the final hight:
    upload_2018-10-2_3-33-20.png
    I can set it to 087,4 wich would help me a lot. Furthermore it is the second functional machine I build. This time with printed springy parts. 6,5 h:
    upload_2018-10-2_3-39-21.png

11. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Unfortunately it's all a task of money. I would like to do much more projects and even buy a better printer. This evening one special idea came to my mind. Once I found this picture:
    woman.png
    Imagine this at ~one meter hight! HARRRR! Would be so cool!

12. Jamira, your wife is a very patient woman.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. narfi

narfi Lost

Can you get clear medium to print with? That would make it super easy.
    Cut some vinyl mask to cover the areas you want to glow and stick them on before you paint her, then remove the mask and install LED light/s in each arm and torso, the painted parts will not allow light through, but the parts you covered with mask will show your translucent print material and allow light to glow through.

Here is a quick and dirty test I did for blue LEDs in resin for under the gunwales of the boat I am building. It worked very well, so I will be doing a cleaner tidier version under both sides as well as white LEDs in each compartment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you can not print in a translucent material there are a couple of other options.

Print a mold and cast in clear resin.
    Print as you normally would, then drill over-sized holes where you want the lights and fill with clear resin.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

LOL! Guess what: we are both 64 years old, married since 41 years. We know each other since 50 years. We both studied. We don't share any single hobby. She loves plants and animals alive, I love them boiled and roasted only. But yes, you are right: she is a very patient person. I think she wouldn't be excited about this sexy woman. At the other hand she respects, that I'm able to run such projects. At least the Tyrion Lannister and Arya Stark figures are welcome to her because she likes GOT as well as I do. And I asked her directly if she has a problem with my sexy tablet stand. She laughed and said: "Nope."

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Interesting! I thought about implementing LEDs in models already. Especially when it comes to Elite Dangerous space stations.
    upload_2018-10-2_22-38-51.png
    I can't print clear parts or areas. At maximum it would be kinda milk glass. But that's not a current issue for me. First of all I have to pay for Arya Stark without glow effects ;-) Aloy may follow next year.

16. narfi

narfi Lost

meantime you should experiment with what you can accomplish using different methods :)
    hobby LEDs are cheap...

I think even with milky glass you could have good glow effects, you don't want direct light coming out, you just want it to glow.

You could model something like this yourself easy enough for testing.
    [​IMG]
    Paint the silver detail and let the rest glow. See what does and doesn't work, what size LEDs you need for different lighting effects, etc.... I think your imagination and abilities could use this to take some of your models to the next level of awe.

• Like Like x 1
  17. narfi

narfi Lost

Another great effect you could implement for a space station would be infinity mirror effects for the entrances.

[​IMG]

You do amazing work with the models you have done and printing and your knowledge in how to put all those pieces together. The next step is combining that with more out of the box thinking to add that little extra that most people would never think of or realize is even possible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Thank you for the compliment Narfi! And for the ideas as well.
    Indeed I do some experiments and got some new ideas now and than. Just to think about animated glow effects on a printed figure alone may show this. At the other hand the speed of technological evolution increases dramatically. Let's wait what the next year will bring! Rough plan is to make a figure with a Raspberry in its socket to steer some light effects. I doubt if I really want such a figure in my living room. But it can be a challenge ;-)

Finally: I do already things most people never ever realize, that it is possible. At least with such a limited equipment.

19. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

During the Seventies we visited an exhibition of cartoon artists. One of the most mad jokes there was something like this:
    upload_2018-10-3_1-56-28.png
    It was titeled: "Immer schoen im Rahmen bleiben!" ... no clue how to translate it correct. Something like "Always stay in your frame." "Never break out." "Be conservative." "Be an opportunist." Dunno. I hated this direction since I can remember.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.