Life, the Universe and Everything can continue

Discussion in 'Life, the Universe and Everything' started by Jamira, May 22, 2018.

1. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, as expected. Igor offered it for $210 (less than 200 Euro). That is good value for money. And yes, this price is okay. The average monthly income in Russia is something between 500 and 600 Euro. Igor can make such a figure within three or four days. Let's say one more day for final adjustments. I would pay it if I were Wistrel. The price is unbeatable. Printing costs plus material would be something around 50 - 60 Euro. Painting is another theme. I'm not good in painting. So let's say 300 Euro for a unique uncolored figure of 400mm height. That's way cheaper than that babe at the picture above.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  2. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Anything good in there? I'm always looking for more vinyl :)

3. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  4. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

5. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

6. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, we've checked a lot of subtitutes meanwhile. Movies and music. We enjoyed "Wish You Were Here" and "Thick As A Brick" this evening for free at Amazon Music. No regret to give all this hardware away. I sold 140 volumes of "Perry Rhodan" already. No need to keep all this crap. I will become 65 years old soon and the remaining life is really limited. Most of the crap our flat is filled with has no meaning for our children and we don't use it anyway. So it's better we win space for some current things (Woman on a chair ...) or even more air ;-)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  8. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Ha! Earlier than expected the new glue arrived. So I can continue with "Woman On A Chair" hopefully. Let's see if it is worth it to pay 19 Euro for 100ml of it.

Acrifix 1S 0116

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  9. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

3D printing slowly becomes boring to me. I've checked several possibilities during the last years. My question is: When exactly do you use your washer? When you need it, right? This should be the assignment of my printer too in future. I don't want to sit in my armchair anymore thinking about what else I could print. That's stupid. Soooo, what else?
    Probably VR?

This evening I was searching the web again for a simple tool to use my own content in VR.

1st lesson: Sony is soooo crackbrained regarding VR!
    2nd lesson: I need an Oculus Rift.
    And than?
    3rd lesson: I need Unity. And I have to learn it. Oh man!

The VR-area is sooo underdeveloped!
    But well, it seems I have no other options atm. And there is not much more to do for such an old retiree like me ...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  10. narfi

narfi Lost

I want to get excited about vr but......

I google around a few times a year and never find a good reason to invest in quality equipment.
    A few years ago I was able to make a 'game' for google cardboard that my son and I could explore around in and kill monsters, all with free assets and animations from Unity.

It was crap, done in spare time by someone with 0 knowledge, experience, or training, yet it was probably better than most of the $1-5 'apps' being sold in the play store which always turned out to be nothing more than low quality tech demos.

Yes Oculus is a step up from there, but.... still I haven't seen anything to get excited about. It baffles me to be honest, there should be some good stuff by now.

11. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, I had several impressive experiances with my PSVR meanwhile. I admit some bullshit as well. The problem is: how to get MY OWN CONTENT into VR? Just click and confirm and walk through the world, buildings or uboats or whatever I designed. Or even old and actual scans of Entropie Universe ...
    I'm working on it.

12. narfi

narfi Lost

13. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

First experiance with Unity 3D: it's really strange. I had to make a special account, import or drag and drop doesn't work, I can't use my 3DConnexion controller, the UI looks shitty. All in all it doesn't look very good so far. I'm widely pissed already.

I will test it during next weeks. Because it seems I need it. Bahhhh :-(

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  14. narfi

narfi Lost

I am sure there are other ways for professionals, for me with no knowledge it was easy and intuitive, and i could drag and drop models easily. scripting took me a bit to figure out but i think you have the choice of c#, unity script which is some sort of java script, and one other language they use, I found that c# was easiest to do the most with.

It would be good to watch a few unity tutorials there are tons of them online as well as their own tutorial series on their website, it makes starting out and some of those UI issues easier to work with I think. There is probably even a hotkey cheatsheet somewhere online to print out.

Or alternatively, Peter(notadmin) used to work there I think, he probably knows better the best way to start.

15. narfi

narfi Lost

16. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Yeah, stick with C#. Let me know if you run into any issues with Unity. I no longer work for them, nor do I know how to build games in it, but I have a ton of e-books, assets, and contacts who might know answers to specific questions you'd have.

17. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Thank you for your help gents. But the Samurai Girl will for sure NOT learn any coding. Even if it's simple.
    And: I have a driver for my SpaceNavigator installed already. This should work for every program. Even in several 2D programs I can use it. I cannot understand why I should install another driver. That's simply embarassing.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  18. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Meanwhile I managed to drag'n'drop another model into Unity.
    upload_2019-1-25_23-3-34.png
    But as far as I can see this is nothing for me. I want something like this:

They don't say what it costs. That means it's not cheap ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  19. narfi

narfi Lost

sounds like you are kind of cranky this week :)

Perhaps I used the wrong term, maybe 'plugin' is more appropriate than 'driver'?

What exactly are you wanting to achieve?
    Scripting (code writing) should only be needed for gameplay type stuff, or things moving etc....

If you want to do just the world building, displaying your models and architecture and landscapes etc.... then no coding should be needed......

When I started, I just went into the asset store and found free tutorial projects that were somewhat like what I wanted, then removed the models and placed ones I wanted. I imagine you can do this easily with a VR tutorial which will keep all the coding needed for the moving around in your 'world' and let you just build your world. The learning then will be how to work with models drag n drop, and prefabs (models with textures set up, or groupings of models you want to reuse, etc...)

20. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Unreal Engine has something called Blueprint, which allows non-coders to make games. I'd call it "Visual programming", meaning you don't have to write any code, but it's more or less like a workflow process.

Unity has something similar nowadays. It used to be something you could purchase on the Asset Store, and for quite some time was one of the more popular add-ons. I think that since then, it's now something also offered natively within Unity itself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.