Life, the Universe and Everything can continue

Discussion in 'Life, the Universe and Everything' started by Jamira, May 22, 2018.

1. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Take the beer!

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

That telephone! amazeballs!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yes, I see my phone is a big hit! :) It's kind of been in the corner since I moved here. It weighs a ton and every time I think about moving it I am reminding why it is there waiting. FYI is still works. :)

4. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

lol. I have two ancient calculators. Same thing. They weigh a ton, and I have no clue how to operate then, but I love 'm. My dad claims he worked with the one I bought first, but he hasn't seen the newer one (which arguably is in a far better state than the first one). I'll have him do a demonstration when he gets here again :)

5. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I have a really old phone (but small plastic thing - not like yours) it uses the old form of dialing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_dialing) rather than the touch tone (DTMF) of most modern phones.

The cool thing about it is that I can do this i.e. dial a number using just the hook. I can just about pull off dialing 941 ("who was the last person who called me?" service in the UK). I think you'd need to be really practiced to manage a whole number as Ramon does in hackers.

6. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

LOL! I own this one:
    upload_2018-10-31_0-35-2.png
    It's a replica and it works! But it's too hard to use it.

7. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Sooo world ... I am the one and only who owns this statue of Arya Stark of Winterfell:
    upload_2018-10-31_0-39-24.png
    Okay, I have to figure out how to print her very thin weapons. But all in all it looks pretty good so far. 540 mm tall. This ability is really crazy. Just do what you want!

upload_2018-10-31_0-47-21.png

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. narfi

narfi Lost

Nice! you plan on bronze or full color?

9. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

It'll be bronze like Tyrion because both will hang out in our living room close to each other.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Soo ... next is theProphet:
    upload_2018-11-1_6-23-5.png
    Let's see how this will end,

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

The thing I love the most about pulse dialing, is that it was designed to be a mechanical coding system. You see that dial? It is on a spring that is tensioned so that it will return from any position in under a second. It will click (disconnect and reconnect) the phone once for every number that goes past while it returns (3 clicks for dialing 3 and releasing, 4 clicks for dialing 4 and releasing etc) and this is how the dialed number is signalled - genius!

Kinda crazy to think that as a kid I remember my parents teaching me how to use one. When you are quite small, it is actually rather tricky to do.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. [​IMG]
    can you also remember how these were hackable when the parents locked them? same technique, but without wheel :lolup:

13. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Is that a lock on the round blob on the bottom left there? I didn't know such things existed but indeed I guess you do the same thing with the "hook"

14. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Once upon a time I ran my own company.

1973 as an army soldier in the GDR we all got into a paddy one evening, drunk in our quarter, everybody did silly things. I jumped through the sleeping room like a kangaroo and my best friend called me "Skippy" after the young kangaroo from an australien TV series. That was the day "skip" became my nickname ...

1993 I started to found my own company and thought it would be a good idea to use a kangaroo as company logo. I visited Corel at "Hannover Messe" just to ask if I would be allowed to use a picture from their library as company logo. They gave me permission and asked me to take part at their daily lottery. I did and won a full license of Corel Draw 2. LOL! Long time ago. But this damn kangaroo became the company logo:
    upload_2018-11-4_1-53-47.png
    While running 3D Studio for graphics and animations and being a mechanical engineer I had the idea to build a mechanical kangaroo:
    upload_2018-11-4_2-38-37.png
    Holy shit, 25 years ago! But I still like it. And guess what! Meanwhile I'm able to bring it to RL! Even as an action figure:
    upload_2018-11-4_2-50-37.png
    Probably the injection point of making action figures ...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

... just an idea. Currently we talk about theProphet and Narfi :)

16. yes it's a keylock, and when it was locked, you had to hit the hangup thing repeatedly for each digit of the phone number, to create those 'clicks' just like the wheel dialer.
    :naughty: :locked:

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. ... there's so much more to come ... :woohoo:

18. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Is that thing mechanically sound?

19. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

You mean is it functionally? Not yet. It was meant for rendering only. So it jumped and sat in animations. But it was built as a fake. If I make a real machine one day, I have to design correct and functional parts from scratch. Lot of work. Probably I'm too lazy for that.

20. The ANYCUBIC I3 MEGA arrived. It is meant for the kids at school, but will have its home here...with me. :)

anycubic-i3-mega.png

Building and adjusting was so easy...it has a touchscreen...some simple options and the printing quality is great !
    Really ! :D

For now I only printed 1 example and tested the included software called "CURA".

Next step, testing the STL files for a scifi vehicle that Jamira made for me ! :D
    slicing, zBrush and and and

p.s.
    @Jamira
    What was the name of this "simple" 3D tool that even offered education licenses ?
    It was one of the tools in the list you once sent me...the provided video tutorials were amazing yet simple !
    Cubic 3d ? cubi...cubi...I cant find it @_@

• Gratz Gratz x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.