Joysticks...

Discussion in 'Technical, security and bug reports' started by Wistrel, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Did a little more on this now... taken out reliance on joy2key. Need to make it so that the hat is a free look not fixed view points in atmospheric mode (thats how I had it set up in joy2key and I'm finding I'm missing it). I think also the "Free Look" button needs to be a toggle rather than a hold down job - seems to be quite hard to hold it down reliably...

2. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Hello there. Right a little update on my joystick project.

Its "finished".

By "finished" I mean that it isn't dependent on joy2key anymore for anything and that I have also made it "configurable" in the loosest sense of the word.

OK to be a little less vague. Its a stand alone program that you can configure by changing an ini file.

Most importantly the ini file allows you to configure the program so that it maps key presses appropriately* depending on how you have set up your keyboard map for Entropia. eg StrafeLeft=a, AutoRun=e etc etc if you get the idea?

Additionally it allows you to specify which joysticks are being used. I guess I should make some sort of video maybe to show it working...

TBH the code is still something of a mess which I'm none too proud of but can't see it changing... it works and that's the main thing.

If there is anyone out there who'd be interested in testing/trying it that would be good. You can tell me what I need to fix then ;)

As for "release" tbh I don't really know if anyone would want it? I personally find it great fun to use and I let my housemates try it and they too really enjoyed flying around the space station using the 2 joysticks.

Maybe if I made a vid there would be more interest? I'm tempted to just put the source code out there as I suspect realistically people may want to adapt functionality further than what the ini file currently allows. As to if they can work out how to do this from the code is another question... ;)

Wistrel

* there are bugs with mapping to some keys. I can fix this but I'm too lazy to do so unless its needed.

Other known bugs... sometimes 1st/3rd switching button person doesn't work until you change the cursor mode and then it is fine again... don't know why...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

For my next trick I plan to add Rift support ;) Seems some guy has already got it going with crysis so you never know.... :biggrin:

4. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Wisker Fish

Sign me up. :)

5. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

You want to use joysticks? What do you have?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Wisker Fish

From an older post ;)

7. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Ah ok... hmmm just looked it up... it doesn't seem as good as the cyborg one I have. As you can see from the diagram I have built in quite a bit of functionality.

Am I right that it has 2 axis' only? How many buttons?

8. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Wisker Fish

Yeah it was just a cheap one I bought many years ago. Lol will get that info to you as soon as I can. ;)

9. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

The Cyborg stick I got was £15 which isn't too bad.. Yours would make a good companion stick though for when in space :D Space is the most fun with 2 joysticks :D

If you want to just use yours though you may need to alter the code some... depending on what you want to control. ideally say though to fly a helecopter you want an axis for forward/backwards, rotate left/right, slide left/right, and some buttons for up/down and fire. A hat is useful for looking around while you fly.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

11. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Wisker Fish

Yeah I was thinking more for flying. I believe it has a hat and enough controls for what you listed. I haven't had a chance to check it yet as I have had some RL priorities take my time. I will try to ge the info soon. :)

12. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

So.... not so long ago I acquired a sort of "permanently loaned " Playstation 3....

To cut a long story short, I managed to get the PS3 Dual Shock 3 controllers working wirelessly on my PC as well.

To cut a long story even shorter, today I added support for the PS3 joypad to PECS. It even has force feedback!! :D

It might need a bit more "gameplay refining" in terms of what does what. (and I haven't tested it in space yet) I essentially copied the same 2 joystick axis set up as before but it may be worth revisiting this thinking for atmospheric control mode as essentially I have a stick going spare that might be better re-purposed for something. Originally I was saving desk space and only using one stick in atmospheric mode but with a Joypad it makes no odds.

Few other things to look at, it needs the dead zones adjusting and the trigger pads "axis" is the wrong way round which needs fixing. I had a vague thought about having it vibrate when you get shot too....

Wistrel

13. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Note I fixed this but yeh defo still needs a rework for "what does what". Thinking for this setup I likely need movement and rotation on the left and the shoulders as slide then mouse look on the right. What would be super cool would be access to the accelerometer thingy to create a sort of steering wheel for driving. Not sure if the drivers support it though.

14. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Just a note that I've not touched PECS for a while (well I mean I still use it like, all the time) but it is still on the list of things to package up and share (plus I think I had some stuff on the tweak/development list - but forgot what)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.