Is my graphics card dying?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Wistrel, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Hiya

I thought I'd ask for advice in case anyone has experience with this sort of thing. I'm getting some fairly strange goings on. When in space stations, I get small ish white squares appearing over the screen on and off and often in localisations round edges.

This doesn't happen anywhere else in game... I recently had a weird thing where on one occasion lots of random polygons appeared all over the place and a sort of snow over the entire picture. This cleared after a reboot.

I've also had a couple of times recently windows telling me my graphics driver stopped responding momentarily but recovered.

Recently I've been playing portal 2 and get a few random polys appearing accross the screen and stuff stalling occasionally. alt tabbing tends to get it back.

I have an nvidia 260gtx black edition iirc. I've done drivers relatively recently and that didn't fix the white squares. I did an entropia install fix/check thingy and clear shader cache and no good.

I've had a card go before and yeh, permanent pink dots all over image all times. In that case I suspect the Heat Sink got loose. Luckily it was under warrenty but this one is over a year old now so it will be a new card for me if it needs replacing.

Can anyone recommend a program for monitoring temperature? I'm wondering if maybe something is over heating...

Cheers if anyone has any input

Wistrel

2. sounds like an "artifacts" issue...

http://www.ehow.com/about_5410687_signs-dying-graphics-card.html

3. Hiya,

I'm using HWiNFO for monitoring. Usually works quite well on any machine, and has some nifty features, too.
    Menu "Monitoring/ Sensor status" opens the window with the data you're after ;-))

From the info you provided I'd look for heat problems at first. Could be that the cooling/ fan of the GPU has problems, could be that the case air entries are closed with dust. Or that the fan wings are this much covered with dust that they don't work this well anymore ...

Hope it helps, and good luck!
    Have fun!

4. Hi Wistrel I use this to monitor my graphics cards works great for me :)

http://www.evga.com/precision/

5. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Thanks guys. I knew you would have some great input to share. Looking into those now. Heat does seem likely, we have a major dust issue here due to kak carpets and its been a while since I did the (seemingly) 6 monthly "computer clean" that is needed here. -_-

I have a new CPU to fit too some nice chap gave me but haha can't really be arsed to get round to installing it. Doesn't really seem worth the effort of pulling the silly thing out from under the desk disconnecting everything and cleaning it up...

haha yeh you can tell I've got lazy about my computer in recent times :D

Too much other fun stuff to do :D Mainly right now my spare time is spent laughing at Cave Johnson :D

6. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Well 3d mark showed no issues and said health was fine...

curiouser and curiouser...

7. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

OK new problem - new thread starting

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.