I need to find a budget gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Technical, security and bug reports' started by narfi, Jan 25, 2011.

1. narfi

narfi Lost

My wife and I both have HP Pavilion TX2500 tablet laptops. The touch screen and pivotable screen that folds down over the keyboard to make a tablet were fun novelties but we never really used those features except for a couple times when I read E-Books in bed with it. They are definatly underpowered for EU though and we both have alot of overheating issues. A toddler has also taken its toll on esp my wifes laptop which is now missing a few keys and is just tired.

Since hers is in worse shape she will get the first one, then later in the year when we can budget it in I will get one.

What she needs/wants;
    1. smallish, she is used to the small 14.x inch (i think) screen and doesnt want a huge thing that would take up an entire table. (id say 14-17 inch maybe)
    2. Webcam is a must for video chats with family.
    3. DVD drive, dont really want to mess with an external drive.
    4. All the normal usb and sd card reader stuff for cameras and random electronic crap to plug into it.
    5 Needs to play EU well, its been 2.5 years since we got these so would be nice to play on better than safe/med settings. (we dont need very high, just be able to do med efficiently)
    6. Our baby pulls on cords alot, so it would be nice to have a type that doesnt get damaged easily, or has cheap replacement cords. We have been going through a cord every couple of months between our two laptops it seems.
    7. Dont need any of the touchscreen or tablet features.

Amazon would be ideal for us with free shipping, but I am open to any suggestions in the US, as long as shipping costs to Alaska are taken into consideration.

Hopefully someone here has a good knowledge of these things and can lead me in the right direction, or at least let me know which processors and video cards i should be looking for in a new laptop.

Thanks for your help,
    narfi

2. Hey, Narfi
    Not sure what you a calling "budget", but last year I purchased a laptop (ASUS G73JH-A1) from these folks Custom Laptops by PowerNotebooks.com - Custom Built Gaming Laptop Computers
    While it was not the cheapest place, I had no problems with ordering from them. The ASUS brand is very good (my desktop has an ASUS MB), and it runs EU better than my desktop in high graphics. But then it did come with a ATI 5870 video board with 1GB GDDR5. It has a 17.3" 1080P screen as well. It may not be what you are looking for, but it's a place start.

3. just make sure it doesn't have onboard graphic card... those are horrible for gaming.

4. narfi

narfi Lost

Amazon.com: Dell Inspiron iM501R-2272MRB 15.6-Inch Laptop (Mars Black): Computer & Accessories

This one seems to meet all of the requirements I am looking for.

Its not top of the line, but when working with a budget you have to make sacrifices.

I guess the two main concerns are how the processer and the gfx card will compare to what we are used to now.

Processer we are using now: AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core QL-62 2.00 GHz
    Processer in the potential purchase: 1.6GHz AMD Phenom II Quad-Core P920 Processor

GFX we are using now: ATI Radion HD 3200 (with no memory of its own, it steals memory from the laptop)
    GFX in the potential purchase: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 550v (1GB)

This would also boost her from using vista to windows 7, 4gig of ram instead of 2, and about 3 inchs larger screen.

Would this be able to run the game better than we are used to? I am sure it can do all the other stuff she would use it for no problem, its just EU that im worried about.

narfi

5. Well according to this site, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 550v - Notebookcheck.net Tech you should have no problems with mid level resolutions, as in low to medium. As for the laptop, if it is your choice, it should do ok with EU from what I can read on the Amazon web site, being a quad core helps. It did not actually say if the 1GB for video is shared or not, so I am guessing it is not. The price is good, that is for sure. Having windows 7 64bit helps as well, which is probably the main reason I get better response from my laptop than my desktop. The biggest issue with current PC's is usually the lack of processing power on the GPU. So from a technical standpoint, this laptop should cover your expectations just fine.
    Other than that, have fun with the new toy. I'm sure you and your wife will be quite happy with them.

Actually I may repost once I get home from work and can do a little more research into the two video cards you mentioned and maybe the laptop as well before I log in to EU..

6. narfi

narfi Lost

Cool i appreciate it. Not too excited about it being a dell, but oh well :P
    narfi

7. Hey narfi,

Just did a quick google on the old card, and it's hard to compare the two as the old mobility version of the HD 3200 has no review. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 - Notebookcheck.net Tech The non mobility review shows the board as very low end. So when you look at the two cards side by side, what you are looking at getting is waaay better. How ever another quick google gave me another link, but me not knowing what your actual budget is makes it difficult. Not that I need to know it either, but check this out anyway. You never know, it may be better to wait and get what you want when you are able, just a thought or one of those opinion things ;).
    M.S.I. GX640-260US www.BTOtech.com

Yes it's a tad bit more, but it's also a way better option for running EU or most any other game you might like to use it for as well. But whatever choice you make, it will be an inproovement on what you currently have. Heck, it took me 3 months of google to actually make a final decision and in that time my budget increased and I knew also that what I wanted would not be cheep. I also wanted a laptop as good or better than my desktop.

8. narfi

narfi Lost

Cool, thanks for the info. That second laptop you linked too looks nice but is way over our current budget.
    Waiting isnt really an option right now either, hers is in pretty bad shape.

The review you linked earlier ATI Mobility Radeon HD 550v - Notebookcheck.net Tech
    I could expect about what they show for crysis? or what specifics were you looking at on that?

I think right now were getting around 25fps in almost all safe mode settings(avatar and objects on medium) but there are lots of times with 1-2seconds of frozen frames as well.

If crysis is what im looking at on that review, then we should be able to play on medium with a lot better consistency than we are now on safe, is that correct?

thanks,
    narfi

9. That's what I was looking at. Usually it's a quick glance at the specs then straight to the benchmarks. I do think Cry 2 is a tad more demanding but probably not that much. You and the Mrs should be quite happy with it. Good luck and enjoy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.