How is the death of Amy Winehouse bigger news then the massacre in Norway?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by khaos, Jul 23, 2011.

1. khaos

khaos DnB'addict

On Facebook, everybody is crying over Amy Winehouse. Not that we should just ignore it, but she WAS playing with her life.
    But nearly nobody even mentions the massacre in Norway..

I just have to post this, I'm really bugged by it..

2. kalanen

kalanen roadkill

who is ame whinehous?

oops. yea. that voice chick, sry. i'm slow enough to not be able to deal with those norway news yet. just fucking... dunno what :/

3. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Explorer

We live in a world where celebrities are ever more and more "closer" to us via traditional news and modern social networking sites like facebook and twitter. Therefore the loss of a celebrity these days is akin to loosing a bit of yourself if your a fan because we feel we "know" that celebrity.

Ordinary people can therefore be "neglected" from peoples thoughts as they are not so "close" to our hearts.

It is sad but there are other forces at play e.g. desensitisation. For example I remember once I was collecting money for a charity and I was very surprised with the number of people who said to me they were "bored" with that news. That's the word they used, "bored" and I couldn't help thinking how sad times had become where some lives would be lost because people were no longer "intrested" by that news. Sad that news had become "entertainment"...

4. It's only bigger news to those that pretend to be journalists these days.

Every reporter on the planet need a Ritalin enema.

5. Oh wait. That summed it up also.

6. Lykke TheNun

Lykke TheNun Lootius bless you all!

The terror in oslo is so horrible it is really difficult to understand it happened! A lot of people show their sympathy by adding norwegian flags to their profile, attending events to light candles and joining groups in support. It is so real and could happen everywhere, makes you think but also fear. That "news" is so close it hurts!!

Amy winehouse dies in the middle of it and even if it was expectet that too has its amount of tragicness! I doubt anyone find it worse than what happened in Oslo, but it is easier to cope and "understand".

Personally i support both. Despide one catastrophy being a lot more horrible than the other, who are we to judge what people should be allowed to grief - are there not room to feel the lost and sorrow of both?

7. khaos

khaos DnB'addict

You do have a point there. To me it seemed like the people I have on Facebook didn't really care about the tragedy. And I really needed to vent...

I don't say we shouldn't care about Amy Winehouse, it's just that what happened in Norway is so much worse...

I just found it hard to understand why they would be crying over Amy and not over the Norway massacre.

8. facebook, much like the traditional media are both just there to waste time... Far too many are more concerned with news the mass media is feeding them about the other side of the world then what is happening in their own back yards. When's the last time you went to a local town meeting?

9. TimUnleashed

TimUnleashed Southern Fortress Engineering

10. Alwyn

Alwyn loves cake!

Agree with this one 100%.

UK troops are dying in Afghanistan, tragedies like what happened in Norway, famine in Africa and all the fighting and death that is going on in the middle-east and all people are talking about is her. Yes, alright .. it's a tragic waste of talent etc but she chose to play with fire. I can't understand how the media can lap it all up and spend hours and hours replaying the same clips or some silly update on how upset her fans are ... then they put a little 30 second segment in about "another" death in the middle-east.

I think the sad thing is, people are just fed up of hearing about the "wide-scale" tragedies because unfortunately they're happening far too often and are to be expected. Something like Amy Winehouse dying (though also to be expected to an extent) isn't an everyday occurance and therefore it's "more newsworthy".

11. Amy Whinehouse's death is a tragedy for her family and friends no doubt. Her fans will of course mourn for her as well. Me, I think she was an ok singer but I'm not loosing sleep over her. Just another dead, filthy rich junkie, even if this one could sing. It's a self-made tragedy
    The massacre in Norway is a tragedy in so many ways. It is an assault on democracy, on free speech. It is an assault on humanity and on all that work hard to defeat segregation, racism and extremism.
    My thoughts goes to the families and friends of the 100+ that was killed or severely injured in the bombing of Oslo and the assault at Utöya.

12. FatherJack

FatherJack El Diablo

Bad news is bad news, wherever it is in the world it may be. Which news is worse than the other? Well, that is for you to decide. My thoughts lie with the people of Norway and not some self indulgent alchoholic.... (no not you Kal!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.