Higgs Boson finally discovered at CERN

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by khaos, Jul 4, 2012.

1. khaos

khaos DnB'addict

Today marks a very special day in the world of particle physics. The Higgs Boson has 'officially' been discovered. That means; the chance of the data being false is 0.0000573303%. This particle completes the Standard Model of particle physics, it explains where mass comes from.

The full article at Phys.Org: http://phys.org/news/2012-07-cern-physicists-strong-evidence-particle.html

• Like Like x 1
  2. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

After a 40 year search they can finally say "people, we've got him"
    Good to see that stuff like this is being discovered and verified, makes you wonder what's next.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I read a few of the coment below the articel and it was on the same low level as some I seen at certain entropia forums. :cool (2):
    (no no, im not talking about entropiaplanets forum. I think this forum is the most mature :grouphug:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Wisker Fish

Anti-gravity, and free energy!! :biggrin: I'll even add perpetual motion!! :wink:

5. TimUnleashed

TimUnleashed Southern Fortress Engineering

Thanks for sharing, khaos. What a momentous discovery. One step closer to wormhole and teleportation tech guys! woop!

6. MindStar9

MindStar9 Floating in Space

I'm not a Quantum Wizard or anything, but I LOVE to hear and read about this stuff - it really boggles the purple matter, but it's also quite exciting.

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

7. AxeMurderer

AxeMurderer Master Of Entropia

They didn't discovered Higgs Boson. They didn't discovered particle that gives mass to everything. They just discovered new particle. But they need more money and they won't get it if they don't use the magic words "Higgs Boson" and "God particle". Lets see if after a year they discover the God particle again. Which is fine by me. I don't mind more money for science. But they can't fool me :umn:

8. khaos

khaos DnB'addict

I did say it was an 'official' discovery. It is not official until the paper has been released. And please don't use 'god particle' as its name. It has nothing to do with any deity.

What's next? Dark matter apparently:
    http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblo...covered-linking-two-galaxy-clusters.html#more

9. TimUnleashed

TimUnleashed Southern Fortress Engineering

Actually, I thought a certain particle was predicted in the sixties (ie Higgs pointed out that it should exist and that it should have certain parameters including a mass in the 126GeV range). They needed certain conditions to see it, which were created at CERN, and they now have data showing that the predicted particle really does exist. For, apparently, the first time in human history. Which verifies the standard model and opens up more branches of research and is thus momentous and exciting.

Based on that understanding of things:

• they DID discover a particle that has long been predicted to give mass to everything (not just a new particle, but the predicted Higgs Boson)
    • this HASN'T happened before
    • a priori, it cannot happen again just like a discovery in Entropia can't happen every time you loot the item :)
    So, Axe Murderer, what do you know that I don't know? What are your reasons for saying what you say?

10. AxeMurderer

AxeMurderer Master Of Entropia

I didn't see anything to say the bold part. Can you give me a link to such article?

11. Higgs Boson sounds like a good name for a musical instrument in an orchestra, only it isn't of course a musical instrument in an orchestra, it's a hypothetical particle that might be discovered in a particle physics tunnel deep underneath Switzerland.
    In an effort to achieve this; and might I add, bi££ions later, the team at Cern have been smashing together sub atomic particles going at practically the speed of light. Because the whole experiment is completely sealed, they assume that it won't have any effect on the rest of the earth, well this could be a mistake...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.