GL TRON

Discussion in 'Other games and gaming' started by nexus7, Feb 18, 2008.

Tags:
  1. A game that I've been playing every day for some time is GL Tron, which is a believable 3D game based on the light-cycle duel in the film Tron.

Unlike in the film, where leading characters 'Flin' and 'Tron', are able to ride their cycles out of one arena and into another via a hole in the 'inkjet walls', in GL Tron you are confined to just one arena throughout, other than that, it is a very good approximation to what you have in the film.
    You control a Yellow light-cycle and are pitted against upto four opponant cycles of differing colour, each trailing a wall of light of the same colour. As in the film, you must not run into the light trail of any cycle, including your own, as this will eliminate you from the game. A toggle-function using any key, enables quick restart of a new game if you crash.
    Arena sizes vary from small to vast, and cycle speeds vary from slow to extreme, and there are various in-game view options; such as birds-eye view and cockpit view. In the latter, you are actually in the cycle you controll, just like in the film. This is pretty scary when the speed option is set to extreme!
    It seems easy to just go left-right; left-right all the time using the left & right arrow keys to avoid collision, but this is what will trip you up if you're not careful. It's the repetition that will cause you to lose concentration...
    The graphics are true 3D and the colours are very sharp and vivid. There is also the option for having a recogniser in the game, which litterally buzzes you (or just plain bugs you) just like in the film if you are doing too well...

• Like Like x 9
  2. ...I know I shouldn't answer my own poste here, but it's some time since I've posted this topic and I'm just curious as to why no one has repplied. Have ppl had bad experiences with this game, or something...?

• Like Like x 4
  3. I have had no experience of it but I have seen Tron.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Phoenix

Phoenix Esquire

Never seen the movie. I guess I should... ;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. I used to love light cycles games, and wrote a few in my early days on the crappy school computers.

Gonna download this and see how they've 'evolved' ;)

• Like Like x 5
  6. Thanks all... The reason I asked, was not because of an ego thing - but because I was genuinely curious as to whether ppl had had bad experiences of the game. Why would I think this??

Well, generally the game is truly amazing (if you like this type of game) and is generally safe; however, every now and then, the game halts and you are presented with what seems like a genuine Windows 'xyz program has encountered a problem and needs to close' message, and you are given the option of either sending an error report or not sending it.
    I have always chosen not to send it just incase, as I suspect that it is GL Tron doing this and not Windows (I could be wrong though...), but I just restart the program again and have never had anything major happen...

Good one phunksta if you wrote lightcycle games - wish I could do that ;) go to www.gltron.org - which is where I went, for the game...

• Like Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.