Game deals

Discussion in 'Other games and gaming' started by Tass, Dec 4, 2014.

1. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

And STAR WARS™ Battlefront™ II: Celebration Edition is free in the Epic store.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fan_boy99

Fan_boy99 Ignore Spawn and San they are Sheeples

Your always good for getting the good none 'obvious' games and thanks again.

1 warning that bomber crew game is difficult (but its a good challenge) :)

3. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

I get e-mails with the offers, and figure I'd share the free love.

I'm more and more impressed with the offers on the Epic Store, though. GTA V was a fantastic offer (I bought the game twice so far), and now Battlefront II? That's another triple-A game for free. I won't buy anything on the Epic Store, but appreciate the freebies, nonetheless :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Fan_boy99

Fan_boy99 Ignore Spawn and San they are Sheeples

You buy 2 of same game for you and Wife?. I have seen GOG reviews of people guying same game 4 times (it makes me suspicious as that is a tactic snake Simmonds would use...)

5. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Both were for me. I prefer playing on PC. GTA V launched on PS3, though.

6. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I cracked and finally signed up to "Epic Giveaways" - dunno if my ageing PC can cope with that game or not but it's a massive download and am in no rush to play it anyhow. I do like starwars though.

I might be all right. Chances are that the reality of testing is that people only go "so far" back these days to definte a min spec. E.g. If pacman were released today it would likely "require" a 4th gen i5.

7. Try 3d pacman vr app sometime.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

I actually probably do own some games 4 times. Like I bought a few old games on GOG and Steam, but also have them on CD, and on Floppy Disk (legit big box game, not pirated. Though I do have it pirated, too ;-)). Thi definitely is the case for King's Quest 1. I own both the old EGA and VGA edition of it on floppy, I have it on CD as part of the Roberta Williams collection, and bought it in GOG and Steam.

9. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

10. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Speaking of EGA... @NotAdmin this might be an utter snooze fest for most people but I found it kinda fascinating. I remember CGA as being that "oh god it's horrible" mode that we always avoided using back in the 90's - and never thought anything more of it. So found it kinda interesting to discover that it is better than I thought (or rather "could be") if used in composite mode. @McCormick may be interested too, although I get that probably most poeple's interest in retro games comes from a nostalgia for the games rather than an interest in the driving technology or why things were they way they were. For myself I've been on a bit of a "journey of discovery" into why old stuff worked the way it did of late (not much else to do in lockdown).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. I grew up with monochrome/ega/cga. :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

13. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

I finally got around to watching this, and it was amazing. Back in 2000, I took a training. I believe it was A+. It taught us the basics of how computers work, including the peripherals. It blew my mind back then how math was used to create monitors and printers, and a mouse, etc.

Early day computer people were fantastic. I took an ASI-C training back in 2010. Keep in mind ANSI-C was created in 1978, and my closest experience to that was C# (early 2000s). I suddenly had to create my own functions that are natively built into C#. Like a LEFT function (take the Left-most <n> characters of an input string). That does not exist in native C, and it really drove home the point that I suck at math, lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. you and me too. I did learn COBOL in high school and studied a semester of college level computer classes before I decided to switch to another major... I still think some upper classman did something weird to cause my programs to screw up but it was strange seeing how much gobbly gook ada can throw out when you go to print... never seen so many weird hieroglyphs. Too bad I didn't keep some of them since some of them might have been able to predict the future.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I've been having a similar experience but the next level down in Shenzhen IO. Suddenly I have to work out how to check a time is between 2 times and I can only compare 2 things at once, and can't combine or nest* if statements, and only have 14 lines of code and 2 memory locations X'D.

Wistrel

* you can chain them which isn't quite the same thing

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

That's something I do on a very regular basis in T-SQL (Data Warehousing). Something like:

17. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

I never heard of ADA, but do you mean you tried printing the compiled program?

18. one of the reasons why i fell in love with shenzhen i/o instantly...

:biggrin:

19. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

haha exactly that. I sorta cheated slightly in the end and had a peak at what others were doing. It was a bit disappointing actually. Discovered people had come up with solutions that only involved checking if the time was equal to the start or end time and then flagging. Disappointing because the test cases didn't cover a case that would catch you out for doing this. In reality, such a solution might not work correctly until the next status change. Ah well, I guess it's only a game.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.