FPC asking for help ??!!

Discussion in 'Planet Calypso' started by RAZER, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, I share your doubts about all this. I don't like it as well to find all my data from a former "free" forum at the servers of an involved company. Next is this brashness to ask for free tutorials. My comment at EF:
    What do you pay for a tutorial?

After five years hanging around at Calypso I can make some tutorials. I prefer longblade tutorials. I can deliver it in different formats. As boring text, as exciting comic or as PowerPoint presentation. No worries ... the bill depends to the amount of hours spent. My hourly rate is 75 Euro wich means ~1k PED atm.

Are you interested?

2. MindStar9

MindStar9 Floating in Space

Tass ... I just couldn't agree more with every single point that you made, and a huge thank you for posting your thoughts and opinions, it is so appreciated.

As many of you know ... I do an annual "EU State of Mind" thread, and it's close to that time when I do it, so rather than an additional post in this thread, I'm going to go ahead and do the annual thread, and will post it sometime on Friday. I fully intend on posting it at PCF as well, because I want them to answer some specific questions straight out. It will be interesting to see what they do with this year's annual "EU State of Mind" ... fear the purple. :bigsmile:

Jamira ... you cracks me up Hon ... love it. ;)

3. So pcf wants something from us and will pay for it. Fine by me really. The fact that it's unfair and somewhat immoral matters not in the long run because they've simply set an example for other planets to follow. This will happen again and I'll probably participate even if it's a pixie shin guard they're giving out( well not really, pixie is kinda cheap even for fpc)
    this is how they want to do bussiness and we only have a few choices: leave or live it with it

4. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

The good news is that two out of three of the upcoming planet partners have already not chosen to follow the examples of FPC in some aspects:

I would not be too sure that anything PFC does will be mimicked. Savvy business-men will use what they see works for their competitors, and stay away from those aspects that obviously do not work. David and Ed seem like savvy business-men to me.

5. MindStar9

Other planets do not have to follow their example. I was never paid PEDs to write and do what I did for the community for over 5-1/2 years, and I wouldn't take anything now either. I, and many others did what we did because we love the universe and enjoy doing what we do. The only reason they're paying people now is because they couldn't get people to contribute in the past. Look how long, and how many times the front page sat with the same thing without change, until someone started a thread about it.

I guess for some, only PEDs matter, and I wish them success with their efforts, but I will continue to choose to write about this universe because it's what I love to do for the community, and will write for the other planet partners to help support their efforts without expecting payment. There are SO many people in this community who give of their time, and put forth great effort to make contributions toward the betterment of our universe, and who still remain our unsung heroes, and those are the people I'm going to start showcasing ... for free.

Here's a couple of questions for you ...

• Oleg ... have you ever been given anything by FPC for your hard work on the EUWBC?
    • Hurrikane ... have you ever been given anything (other than a jacket) for your hard work on the WoF
    • RayneJade ... have you ever been given anything?
    • Have those who have created EU tools for our benefit ever been recognized or given anything?
    • Have those who have already created fantastic guides ever been given anything?
    And now they want to pay people to keep something on their front page?

And pay people to create new guides?

Yes, it's a good thing from FPC's perspective, because they benefit ... and yes, it's a good thing from the perspective of those who get paid PEDs for submitting articles and guides that may be chosen, but ... is that what it all boils down to - PEDs?

I have asked to be removed from the PCF Newsroom because I will not be participating, and ...

Any future Wednesday's Who's Who profiles will be published here at EP. It's a shame that what was meant to be a shared experience across the universe was sold as property to one planet partner. They will never get another.

6. Thorn

Thorn Proud CND Baby

Yes I too had a problem with that database being sold over to FPC. Not cool in my book. I`ll keep my account there so I can look in but I`m just not at home there anymore.

And when you mention if it`s all about PED sadly for the percentage I think it is. PED is good! But not letting it determine your every move is better.

7. I agree with a lot of what Tass says.

The bizarre thing for me is that the main reason Hanne gives for FPC doing it that way is because "the community knows best". This is not obvious at all to me...I would have thought the developers of the game would have a better idea, on at least a lot of things.

If they want player created information, I think Tass's idea of a wiki is far more suitable.

8. Tass

Tass Administrator

Well, there have been plenty of opportunities in the past to write guides or frontpage/magazine articles.

It's rather strange suddenly people (re-)discover their passion for writing guides and articles now that there is a chance (it's only a chance) to win a single piece of armor or get rewarded 100 PED.

Both creating guides and writing articles need many hours of work (in-game and off-game research, taking & editing screenshots, writing & edting, ...). I don't really get it how someone would want to spend that time for 100 PED while you can earn a multiple of 100 PED for the same time spend on even the worst paid RL jobs.

Conclusion: If it's for the PED one would be better off with other jobs. If it's for the community bring it to the EP wiki.

9. safara

safara Pamwe Chete

I agree with Tass.

Quick reply.

I dont like the way things have been done. It has killed in many ways the whole ethos and atmosphere that EF had. But then, some of that went when MB sold it to Neo.

And I am sad about that.

Now that the forum and our information there is owned by FPC we can see the working relationship between FPC/MA and Warants more clearly. The Official FPC forum still protects Warants against words like Neovixen.

10. safara

safara Pamwe Chete

Sorry - I went slightly off topic there.

The question was.

"Should we do work for free for a game/service company that we pay lots of money to play anyway?"
    (and $10 or a bit of armour is for "free" considering the time that people take on these things)
    NO - that would be wrong.

"Should we do work for free for a community that we love and enjoy?
    Yes - that would be great.

The difference is that FPC is now an official part of the game/service. Part of the machine. Not a community run fan based site. We all paid our decay already for FPC to afford to buy it. I was not consulted over this. They just took my peds and used it to pay another "fan/player" of the game.

FPC long ago stopped being a Fan based community forum. They get enough of my peds already. They want me to to help them. By spending hours crafting something for them, and they will give me $10. When they take $10 from me within 36 minutes while I am paying them to play their game??

Sod that.

I have all the time in the world for "community" based stuff and have always done all I can in that respect.

Official forum should have Official articles. If they wish to commission people to write official sanctioned guides and news articles then they should bloody well pay for it.

Community Forums are open to a wide range of people to contribute in ways they wish for the pure pleasure of it.

Rambling a bit, but I hope you can see what I am trying to get across.

Oooh, is that a Beer???

11. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

Seems I opened a can of worms with the thread ;)

I see a lot of the better known, long time players (and some new ones as well) are not very happy with this idea of FPC, both here, on PCF and in game, so I really think this again is one of those idea's that FPC didn't think through or they are a lot smarter then I give them credit for and they are doing this on purpose to make some more money of people that love to do stuff for the community and get suckered into making a tutorial for some piece of armor that is worthless to FPC.

I think they don;t see the difference between an fan based community and a company run community, I have been trying to convince Hanne of this, but it seems she doesn't understand or is not allowed to agree with me.

12. MindStar9

Well Razer ... I'm getting the same feedback from many people that have connected with me both in the forums and interestingly enough in game, and I have to agree ... I don't think they thought this one through AT all.

I have a lot more to say, which will be in my annual "EU State of Mind" thread. It will be constructive as always, but I'm running a bit behind in getting it finished. I'm hoping to complete it later this evening (for me), and get it posted so it's available for morning. It's not all bad, but it will certainly be genuine and honest feedback based on what has been presented to us over the past year, as well as the most recent posts by Hanne and Marco at PCF.

Oh, and ... you didn't open up a can of worms ... if you hadn't started the thread, I'm sure someone else would have, including me, so no harm done whatsoever. These types of things need to be addressed, and honest perspectives given to the community to inspire some critical thinking. For some, it is all about the PEDs and "stuff" ... but for others (especially those who have been around a long time and have helped to build the community), it's a whole lot more, and we're seeing through every nook and cranny.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.