Forum upgrade - next step

Discussion in 'About EU Chronicle' started by Phunkygeeza, Mar 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Hi All,

I've taken a next step in terms of getting our upgrade done.
    Basically I copied the entire of EUC into my test site, and did a straight upgrade on it to see what happens.
    I can now experiment on this to see what works and what doesn't.

As this is a FULL copy, it means your accounts, posts and everything else are all intact.

So if you do have time, please do go log in and play around, and let me know what you think. You can do what you like and the main site will be unaffected. So, feel free to use and abuse it however you will! Be advised though that anything you post may be lost, unless I take note of it and see that it survives any future iteration of this process.

http://test.eu-chronicle.com/forum

It's all very 'default' at the moment, but all the loverly new vB4 features are online, so CMS articles, blogs and all that are now at your disposal.

For instance, those of you out there that have been blogging away may want to go to your blog thread and try the 'Blog this post' button to see what happens.
    If you previously wrote a guide for me, it should now be possible to make this into an 'article' in the new CMS system.

From here I'll be looking to get the look and feel right, then re-introduce some of the 'extras' that we had in EUC to see if they work. Hopefully talkerbot's ancient architecture will be portable to the new platform, but I don't hold out much hope at this point in time... perhaps her days are numbered? :confused:

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 8
  2. Seems pretty cool to me Phunksta, will certainly make blog entries easier in the future :).

When adding to the blog does it duplicate the data or just point to the original?

• Like Like x 4
  3. LOL I have no idea. It's all very new to me too ;)

When I pressed the button it looked like it was just copying the data, it had lifted all the bbcode etc into the 'post' box and was going to go for it.

I guess that might make it unsuitable for migrating the historic blog posts into the blog? Give it a go and see what happens - I might be able to 'fiddle' the post dates back into place afterwards...

• Like Like x 7
  4. I did try a couple last night and thinking about it I think it makes a copy as it offers the opportunity to edit the post first.

Could mean a considerable amount of duplication, with the facility I would probably use it to blog any globals I fluked :). So not that much duplication really :(.

• Like Like x 4
  5. yeah i think i need to find a way to easily post a whole thread to a blog.
    Anyway was playing with the skin last night, so change to euc test skin to see progress. o change to euc test skin to see progressso change to euc test skin to see progres so change to euc test skin to see progre, so change to euc test skin to see progrt, so change to euc test skin to see proght, so change to euc test skin to see proght, so change to euc test skin to see ppight, so change to euc test skin to see s was playing with the skin last night.y was playing with the skin last nighty was playing with the skin last mightay was playing with the skin last nighway was playing with the skin last migyway was playing with the skin last oh

• Like Like x 6
  6. Hmm, I think I might change to euc test skin to see progress! :)

• Like Like x 5
  7. it's only on the forum section at the moment, haven't worked out how to do the blog or cms yet. Also it doesn't seem to stick when you select it! Ignore what follows. to stick when you select ! Ignom to stick when you select it! Himblog or cms yet. Also it doesn't seen blog or cms yet. Also it doesn't seehe blog or cms yet. Also it doesn't sment, haven't worked out how to do thoment, haven't worked out how to do toment, haven't worked out how to ely on the forum section at the moment.nly on the forum section at the momentonly on the forum section at the momen only on the forum section at the nones only on the forum section at the non

• Like Like x 4
  8. I find myself wondering if blabberbot has got Phunksta's login details! :)

• Like Like x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.