Do X - The Resurrection Of A Legend in Real Life, VR and 3D-print

Discussion in 'Life, the Universe and Everything' started by Jamira, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

I will not do much more else during the next months or probably years. So I decided to make a seperate thread about this very special issue.

upload_2020-1-6_1-23-59.png

At July 12th 1929 the Do X took off at the first time. At that time she was the biggest airplain worldwide for more than 20 years. Additional she was build completely from metal wich was new. Only three were build and no exemplar survived. Even the blueprints are lost except some drawings and a lot of photos. We are a few enthusiasts who want to make a 1:1 scale model of this masterpiece of engineering. We collaborate with Dornier Museum in Friedrichshafen and with some universities in Baden-Wuertemberg/Germany. Currently more than 30 students work at this project.

I stumbled about this project by accident. I loved this airplane since I was 8 or 10 years old (1962/1964). So I searched the internet for some drawings or contacts to build my own model of it for VR. Immediately I found Peter Kielhorn, who is the spiritus rector of the project. And TAHHHDAHH! he got pretty good 3D-models already. He planned to make a VR-version as well. So we quickly came together and decided to combine our activities.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Thanks to all the data I could make some high-resolution pictures for a photo book, a few raw VR-presentations and some early parts for a 1:43-scale model of the forecastle. This is our first waypoint. Something like this:
    upload_2020-1-6_2-1-44.png
    Fortunately my old WANHAO printer died and I bought a new ENDER 3 pro for 250 Euro. This baby is way better. So I could print the first parts:
    upload_2020-1-6_2-5-0.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Tomorrow an editorial journalist of our local news paper will visit me to talk about the project. Especially about VR. But I can show him the ongoing of the 3D-printed model as well.
    In early April we will be at the AERO in Fridrichshafen. We will be part of the presentation of Dornier Museum. I hope to finish the 1:43 model until than. We will be able to offer two Oculus Quest and my Oculus Rift. No clue if we have enough room for such a blast ;-)
    And I hope to meet David Dornier, director of Dornier Museum.

Printing lots of parts:
    upload_2020-1-7_2-46-16.png

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, my first attempt to make a model kit, everyone can print and build. That's a big chellange! I had low success so far. I have to rethink what I really want to publish. For now I'm working at a model of the forecastle of the Do X at 1:43 for our presentation at the AERO in Fridrichshafen in early April.
    upload_2020-1-11_3-31-31.png
    upload_2020-1-11_3-32-3.png
    upload_2020-1-11_3-32-35.png

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, long silence ...
    I canceled this 1:43-project. We think about a 1:10 scaled model meanwhile. But that's not our main focus.

Next week Peter Kielhorn and I will ride down to Hungaria to visit Sophia Borbely. She owns a replica workshop and will build our 1:1 scaled model of the Do X. That's a huge project and will take several years. Especially because we need the money to pay her. During last summer I reworked rib 44, wich is one of the biggest, from former students work:
    2021-08-15 Spant 44 mit Michael 02.png
    6 meters tall and 4,6 meters wide. The guy standing in the door at passenger's deck is a 3D-scan of me. Above is the bridge. We got photos of the first parts already and hope to see much more during our visit.

Sophia is a professional. She engineered Amundsen's Dornier Wal for the Dornier Museum already and her husband Karl Birczak manufactured it:
    upload_2021-9-12_3-46-26.png

I hope to learn a lot about manufacturing such 1mm aluminium films. Chocolate paper even. I come from heavy machines like excavators, dragline diggers and bulldozers. 20mm thickness is still metal sheet. But 1mm? That's thin film! And rivets? Not much clue of that yet.

We hope to exhibit rib 44 in Dornier Museum at the end of this year. Currently we discuss the requiered space for it with the staff ;-)

6. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Parallel we talk to Joerg Neumann from Microsoft. I flew the Do X already in Flight Simulator. She is not available as addon yet because it's a WIP. But hey, its fun!
    upload_2021-9-12_4-23-43.png
    upload_2021-9-12_4-24-27.png
    Screenshots taken from MS Flight Simulator

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  7. narfi

narfi Lost

hehe.... 1mm aluminum is ~ 0.040 inches (we say Fourty-Thousandths), that is about as thick as I work with, I commonly work with (on the plane I am building with my son as well as at my actual job) .040, .032, .025, .020, .016 I do work with thicker, such as 1/8" (.125) but it is more for brackets etc... not for skins and ribs and bulkheads. That you are using 1mm shows just how massive the beast is :)

The thinner the skin, the easier it is to damage in assembly... a pneumatic rivet gun can cut right through it if you slip off of the rivet, or it is not properly backed on the tail when driven.

Since it is a static model, will they be driven rivets, or will other easier fasteners such as pull 'pop' rivets be used in places?
    Driven rivets are still cheaper, but the $$$ in man-hours for assembly goes way up, just curious what you have decided as a balance for authenticity, money, and labor.

I love the scan of you standing in the bulkhead. It puts it in perspective so much better than a stock image, I imagine even that much more so for you.

8. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Sophia uses different rivets for different purposes. Our visit at her workshop was very interesting and helpful. I learned a lot about manufactoring special parts! The 44 is on its way:
    upload_2021-9-28_3-35-42.png
    Hopefully we will see it in Friedrichshafen at the end of October! This would be the start of our presence in Dornier Museum.

Parallel I run first tests of printing a rough 1:10 scaled model:
    upload_2021-9-28_3-43-40.png
    Its the nose with first bulkhead 58. Pretty rough so far. But its really the first test. And it just give an idea of how impressive the whole model would be. Just two parts of the very first front section:
    upload_2021-9-28_3-51-18.png

• Like Like x 1
  9. narfi

narfi Lost

hehe, I think I was confused by your printed pieces, I thought they were the bottom of the hull, they are just the bow section and sitting at 180 inverted orientation? The entire model will be roughly the size of a large coffee table?

You might have told me already, but I forget.... The bulkhead stations numbers are measured in inches? cm? Where is the datum?

10. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Yes, the printed parts are upside down at the photo. The 3rd part is printed already:
    upload_2021-9-29_1-3-19.png
    Its huge already although its such a small part of the whole model. Would be a very large coffee table: length 4 meters, wing span 4,8 meters, hight 0,9 meters . So it is closer to your airplane than to a coffee table I think. ;-) But currently I will make the forecastle only because this is our construction stage "A" in real:
    2021-06-25 Do X Vorschiff 02.png
    From bulkhead 44 straight in front of the wings to 58. The numbers are just numbers, beginning with 1 at the stern and ending with 58 at the bow, containing the most important part from my view: the smoking room between 50 and 53. Usually with a distance of 0,6-0,7 meters. I started my model at the opposite side (58) than Sophia the real one (44).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Tomorrow I will talk to Schuco. That's a company that offers diecast toys and models. They planned to continue with their 1:72 model of the Do X this year:
    upload_2021-9-29_1-46-52.png
    Picture by Schuco

But you know ... Corona ... the delivery was postponed.
    The model isn't very accurate but impressive. 0,55 meters long, 5 kg of weight. I want to check what we can do together. And I want one of them for myself.
    https://schucoshop.com/de/schuco-edition/schuco-edition-aviation-1-72/5261/dornier-do-x-1929

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Looks ok to the uneducated (me) remember you've been staring at this thing a lot in recent times so all the innacuracies will leap out at you like a sore thumb. So go easy on them ;)

I think with metal models certain design decisions need to be made around accuracy vs manufacturing ease or even other factors (say if it's a toy). Anyhow, should be an interesting meeting/partnership should it go that far.

Great retirement project. So pleased you are doing this stuff. Sure beats gardening.

13. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

That's really for sure ;-)

Result of the call to Schuco is: we will get the models for a very, very good price :-)
    Start of delivery will be January 2022.

14. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Here is another view of my first tests to print a 1:10 model:
    upload_2021-9-30_0-36-16.png
    It's such a small part of the model. But nearly twice in hight of a beer can already. Slowly I become anxious of what I plan to do.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, the printer causes more and more problems. I stop the work with it. I will try to repair the ELEGOO Saturn next days. That's a Resin-printer. Probably I can manage it.
    In real life our bulkhead 44 is on the home straight:
    upload_2021-11-1_1-23-52.png
    We hope to see it soon in Friedrichshafen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. narfi

narfi Lost

I like it, that looks legit!
    Green primer :gangnam:
    Lightning holes :gangnam:
    Riveted gussets :gangnam:
    Brackets and Blocks to jig the assembly straight :gangnam:

all in all, I like it :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Here it is:
    upload_2021-12-3_2-1-0.png
    Unfortunately we have some issues with the museum. So it'll stay in Hungaria for the next months. Too sad! I hoped to welcome it during December in Friedrichshafen/Germany. On top these few idiots who won't get vaccinated mess up with our whole country and hurt us in so many ways. We have to go into lockdown again during Christmas because of these morons. The dictatorship of a minority of non-vaccinated. What a mess!

Even the hungarian company who built this masterpiece went in big troubles lately. They should do another big job in Germany these days. Now the job is canceled because of the non-vaccinated fools and this will hurt the small company essentially. Currently we don't know if it will survive. And unfortunately we actually can't fill the gap with more orders for Do X-parts because we can't present our project at fairs and shows for advertise and collect some money. Same reason.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. narfi

narfi Lost

Impressive bulkhead, seeing it in its full upright glory with the guys for scale is impressive.

19. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Wow that's huge. Sorry about your Covidiots. Sad times. I'm half expecting we'll be up shit creek in the UK again soon (some would say we are already but are just in denial... they might be right).

20. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

thats-what-she-said-what-she-said.gif

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.