Planet Calypso News: Death From Above: Attackers and Steel Birds Ambush CDF Troop!

Discussion in 'Planet Calypso' started by EP-Newsbot, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Steel Birds, Attackers and Spider Bombers have ambushed and killed a CDF troop led by ‘Grid-Man’ at [61810, 84708].

Other locations under attack include

• Atlantis Archipelago
    • Camp Phoenix
    • Fort Zeus
    • Nymphtown

Strategists predict attacks from the new wave of robots will be sustained and intense, so CDF forces are desperately mobilizing colonists to counter the assault.

Why the CDF force was led by the deranged ‘Grid-Man’ and what they were doing in the wastelands near Hadesheim is unclear.

## March 13, 2018 ##

Source

2. I passed out last night.

3. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Yay! Spider Bombers! The cutest mobs in Entropia!

@Jamira can you do me a favour and capture the geometry for spider bombers? (and maybe steel birds too) I have an idea... (potentially)

4. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

PS Mindark - spider bomber pets please (and not stupidly hard to tame/rare ones either - by all means add them as well and, uh... I dunno make em gold or something for the ubers to play with - but let us noobs have a bog standard one please, pretty please with sugar on?)

5. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Sure. Where can I find them?

Edit: Got a steel bird for you:
    upload_2018-3-14_23-30-54.png
    But I have absolutely no clue where to find Spider Bombers ...

Edit2: Ahh okay, I read the first post meanwhile - lol! Damn, we are on our way to NI already. But we'll go back and grab that silly bots for you.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

I got several Spider Bomber as well. But they are shrinked. I need a working 3DS Max 2011 for correct import ...
    upload_2018-3-15_3-7-59.png

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Thanks Jamira - that detouring was awesome of you!! The shrinkage, is that the apparent squishing in the X-plane? I'll try and get in later and grab some reference screenshots/video.

8. San

San

If you find Spider Bombers cute and would like one as a pet, have you seen Scout Bots on Cyrene? And the devs are very approachable...

9. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

The shrinkage depends to the angle of the ingame camera. The import-plugin for 3DS Max solves this problem because it offers one or two aspect ratios to chose from. What I got so far looks like this:
    upload_2018-3-15_22-45-21.png
    I will try to get a better one.
    Well, this one looks a bit better:
    upload_2018-3-15_23-33-47.png

So finally I can offer you this two babes:
    upload_2018-3-15_23-47-37.png

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tfwnLZLJwHodgbbnURxLYnInQO4Qc4G_

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Thanks Jamira! You are teh awesomeness!

Actually I got a little insight into your world last night. I (far too late) thought. I wonder if I could knock up a quick and dirty Spider Bomber leg in Fusion. Haha, because I am still learning it took me longer than I thought (although not too long). I think I now finally understand your world though. In that in game assets are not useful for RL applications. They are just low poly tricks with impossible mechanics. In the world of computer games you just grab 2 points and define movement constraints and your have a working thing.

In real life things have to have actual joints and mechanics behind them. I see now more about why the Pitbull is quite such a project. I suspect part of the issue is more to do with how lazy/pushed for time the artists/animators are as good quality models will have more RL parts to them but again even then, probably on the ones that are very visible. MA just throw things next to each other and go "that'll do" (and to be fair... mostly it does).

Got annoyed last night though that the spider bombers were in the floor most of the time!

Wistrel

spider3.png

11. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

spider-mesh.jpg spider.jpg

Hi Jamira

I noticed there seem to be 2 versions of the spider bomber? The one in your last pic that you sent me has this tube thing running through it to one side. I've taken a bunch of screenshots of a different one. Do you happen to have the non tubey one too?

Wistrel

PS still loving my model tower! :D Keep musing over the idea of redesigning the model and making something 20cm diameter...

12. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

I really don't see any "tube thing" in my model. I scaled it down a bit to cure the bad shrinking:
    upload_2018-3-25_5-55-27.png
    You can download the model here:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YcU8uAKEQlAeY9NFWwz0QWSBgjyPBeeU

Oh and I've grabbed the UI-parts as well. LOL!
    upload_2018-3-25_6-0-24.png

13. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, we have to blame reality ;-)
    You are right, computer programs use tricks and they work fine. That's completely okay. Do you know what bump- and opacity-maps do for rendering? Same with "virtual joints" wich would never ever work IRL. Or parts sticking into other parts.

Unfortunately I'm a mechanichal engineer. So I can (must) see all the failors. But I worked with 3DS Max for a long time and know the tricks.

The Pitbull would be indeed a massive effort. Estimated 120-150 parts. And I am not really interested in a bad designed vehicle from EU.

14. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

No? Will have to look that one up. I've still never been to Cyrene... (really should get there some day - before they die or something).

Jamira! Interesting - I wonder where my tubey thing came from! I'll have a look at the scale fixed ones in a second... brb

15. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Hi Jamira big thanks for the update. It is defo looking less squished in the X axis now and the strange tube has gone (I wonder where it came from!). I was having a look at my reference screenshots and it looks like the head is circular. Do you think it would be possible to adjust in the Z axis too? Sorry to keep asking you to do things for me.

top.jpg sides.jpg

In other news, I made some pistons last night without following a tutorial. Just thought I'd have a go and see what happens. I can't stop watching them now haha - the movement is hypnotic!

pistons.jpg

16. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Ooops! My fault. Didn't check all axis. Here is a better one:
    upload_2018-3-25_21-12-43.png
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mmH4e0yl9KNUQRqvK-XRPyGr0V1__8KF

17. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

18. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Wait, I sorted the single parts and saved them again. It probably helps to remodel the little beast.
    upload_2018-3-26_1-18-23.png
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uFcKpaEzGeBJ9Mys9ejM2BlxnXYOSd8H

19. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

First (very rough) approximation
    spider_sketch.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.