Crytek sues Star Citizen for NOT using CryEngine anymore

Discussion in 'General Entropia Universe Discussion' started by McCormick, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Already in dec. of 2017 Crytek sued Star Citizen over "improperly" removing CryEngine 3 (logo) and using the engine in 2 titles, instead of one title, which would be another contract breach and other various stuff.

In short:
    Star Citizen switched to Lumberyard Engine (amazon), which is a fork of Cryengine and Crytek sees a contract breach in various points now and went to court.

Also Star Citizen hired some of the german Crytek coders.
    Crytek has big problems anyway since some time, money wise, closing offices worlwide etc.

What a mess...

Enjoy ;D

original link:
    https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/13/16774244/crytek-star-citizen-cryengine-lawsuit

Copyright attorney explaining the case further (1,5 hour video) :

Now, what about changing your graphics engine, MindArk ? Its about time to get rid of DX9 and CE2...maybe hire some coders as well...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  2. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Are you saying MindArk bet on the wrong horse?

THE HELL YOU SAY?

Jan should draw his conclusions and perhaps just give up on the idea he'll ever create anything successful.

• Hussked Hussked x 1
  3. San

San

Looks like Cin, Can and Cem are getting desperate.

4. San

San

There I have to disagree. First for selfish reasons, I don't want to be forced to buy new hardware. It runs and it looks good. MA's problems are really elsewhere. First and foremost it's not the coders, but the decision makers.

Now, if we disregard this and imagine MA following suit and moving to Lumberjack as well, imagining the transition mess can't be much worse than it already is since it's a derivative of CE, wouldn't it be an advantage to at least have the underlying engine known to be in the hands of a real company rather than some turkish family business. Heck, they could hire the three geniuses when they hit the floor, provided they can get rid of the chip on their shoulder. I'm not saying they're bad coders, not at all.

5. I wasnt fully serious on this one San.

If you look at what kind of results are possible with the former, modded Gamebryo Engine...Elder Scrolls Morrowind (still looks fucking aweseome compared to todays Entropia) (2002)...Oblivion (2006)...Fallout 4 (2015)...we wouldnt even have needed CE2 in the 1st place...MA just wanted to be hip back then, as they have no idea of marketing campaigns and advertising stuff.

We could have had an awesome, lovely designed world by now...if competent people would be behind MindArk.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

I have to add "Skyrim".
    Well, after using Gamebryo as 3d-engine for their older games, Bethesda decided to make a complete new engine for Skyrim. But hey, they released that game at the end of 2011! Soon they offered a SDK for modders. After many years in Skyrim (lately in VR!!!!!!) I say: with more than 2500 mods you can make your own Skyrim in different versions and play it over and over again. But even for "Oblivion" you could get tons of mods wich improved the game dramatically. With Gamebryo as 3d engine! MA made a big mistake by not listening to their customers. I'm in the outstanding role to be one of the few who could place own ideas and content into the game (the two towers at Monria) without becoming a planet partner. Many others had great ideas and offered help with stories, 3d-models and what not. MA usually refused such offers ...

Sister Kristin and I were always fashion maniacs and spent thousands of RL Euro for such things in EU. Plus haircuts and makeup. But if you look at the content of EU today you will see a lot of cheap bullshit only.
    Contrawise Skyrim mods:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Awww poor Crytek. It really is a shame that everything has gone so wrong for them. Crazy thing is, say what you will about Mindark, they are actually one of the few companies who succcessfully utilised and deployed the cryengine in their game and probably about the only MMO that went live with it.

I just hope MA are sufficiently grounded enough now in their use of CryEngine that they'll be ok if Crytek go under. Whatever happens, I'll always have fond memories of Cryengine2.

8. CE2 is indeed still great...so is Gamebryo...but MA neither has the manpower nor the knowledge to max it.

9. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

This can be solved with blockchain... (and other mad things that don't make sense like Trump)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. I’ll say this about Trump: at least he’s being himself.

That’s not always a good thing though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

This is amazing! I spent the last two hours watching Amazon's videos for a quick start with Lumberyard (site is German, videos are English):
    https://aws.amazon.com/de/lumberyard/gettingstarted/
    This is probably exactly what I want. Okay, PSVR is not supported yet and VR (Oculus Rift, HTC Vive) is still beta. But with a major player like Amazon as backbone I'm pretty sure I'll be able to enter my own creations soon. And it's for free. Unbelievable!
    If nothing happens regarding PSVR I will buy an Ocolus Rift. Although it doesn't look very comfortable. Does it really touch my face?
    upload_2018-3-3_22-45-1.png
    Downloading Lumberyard right now.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  12. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

If I were Amazon, I'd stay far far away from MA. Anything MA does with EU will reflect on Amazon. Amazon prides itself on achieving great customer satisfaction. MA repeatedly shits all over its' customers (and partners).

Other than that, MA spending another 5 years to rebuild their entire universe might not be in the best interest of anyone, considering we pretty much had a standstill of functionality while they dabbled with Compet, their VR presentation whatever, and now blockchain. Whatever new stuff has been delivered (arena, plots) is unfinished and broken (as usual).

13. VR headsets for smartphones aka. cardboards are already awesome on some VR titles. Ill wait a little bit longer before purchasing an Oculus, as I sense a great disturbance in the force...

14. New movie:

Amazon Lumberyard Women on the Moon! :)

15. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

I guess it would be easy to do!

I'm learning Lumberyard right now. Fortunately I know a lot of how 3D design works from my former experiances with 3DS Max and other software. This offer by Amazon has indeed some potential. I'm sure I could deliver way better worlds within a short timeframe than MA does. Not with a small dev team but as one man show. And I am not one of the best but just a hobbyist. What I've learned from the first lessons is: MA missed so many possibilities and made many shitty content. Same with Planet Partners. I agree with NotAdmin: MA isn't and has never been trustworthy. Man! Calypso could be a wonderful interesting and highly detailed world. With really low effort. Alas ...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    • Hussked Hussked x 1
  16. MindArk should initialize a kickstarter :

We need (another) 6 million US Dollars !
    Help us to get out of the fangs of the Crytek contract, so we can switch to another graphics engine license.

(Which will rot in one of our drawers anyway, but we would be happy recieving 6 mio $ ;P)

And its fucking amazing to read on the other forum, about "how easy" and "super free" some people think it would be
    to switch to the Lumberyard Engine. We love you, now send us your money and ask questions later !

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. San

San

No need to whisper this in small letters. Should slap it in their faces loud and clear. Although I said above this would at least get a company worth the name behind the technical foundation, assuming a transition would be easy and cheap just because the license is free is utterly naive. I just don't know enough about the legal mumbo-jumbo to predict what happens when Crytek bites the dust for good. Looks grim, I think this Döner is eaten.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/developerguide/network-multiplayer-gs.html
    Others will follow MA at MMO area. MA is a dead man walking with some artificial parts implanted into the former natural body. It still can walk and act. Their problem is the old brain.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.