Cost to play - MA or Players fault?

Discussion in 'Planet Calypso' started by EntropiaPlanets, Mar 1, 2010.

1. aridash

aridash large throbbing member

Obvious eh? only to you apparently. pet theory then. i can even see what you are saying, but just dont recognise that it accurately reflects the system. Fruit machines "buffer" funds put in and draw from them the payout, if you sit at one long enough you will get a fixed return. if you dont stay long enough, you will have a large variation in win/loss cycles - sound familiar? you seem to be starting from a point of its absolutly not gambling in any possible way, rather than the position that its not matching a very narrow definition of gambling. Maybe the system does track activity, expediture, etc and use that for large payout calculations, but HoF and ATH can simply come from the system - MA even acknowledge this by the check box for ads!

how does a month old noob geting an ATH (happened) or hof (happens frequently) work with "buffered funds"? how does "buffered funds" allow a guy who has always mined get a hunting 10k+, or is the suggestion that the buffering stays with each profession? in which case why dont others have the same joy when switching? I wouldnt say buffering cannot work, i just cant see how it fits with all observable data. in fact my pet theory does have a buffering element. it also accepts random redistrubution, aka gambling, but i can also see how the system is not actually gambling (since you can predict and even adjust outcomes). random elements within a non-random system is perfectly possible. again, proven since the return per loot event is random, or at least non-deterministic). scale up and across to match everything we see in EU

oh and i shouldnt but its buggeing the hell out of me: "... HUB... is not an acronym so dont capitalise it. why do even do that with key words, there are italics, bold, underline to add emphasis ( which you show you know all too well)? and... surcharge is a whole word not a composite, i looked it up and its 500 years old. stop it.

2. MA is in control of EU and the balancing within the system. The choices they have made overtime are a big part of the problem in EU and the cost associated with it.

Sure players have been a part of the problem throwing money at PE/EU expecting things to work out, hording items, reseller manipulation, etc. etc.

Now saying that MA is not oblivious to people depositing exhorbitant amounts to buy certain items that benefit them. Its what makes them their bread and butter. So just from what I have seen over the years is the base manipulation of the system balance to increase the overall deposits. Yeah its their business to make money and I understand that but they can't wash their hands from setting up the situations that players will take advantage of while trying to stay ahead of the dreaded bad loot returns and higher decay.

So its human nature to seek out the most advantageous route to stay ahead of the game so to speak. Easiest way to do this is by trading or reselling or whatever you call it. The balance of items both (L) and un(L) are controlled by MA. Certain repairables have been slowly going extinct in loot and even some (L) items are very rare as well. Players only control what they loot and horde and trust me I have seen some big wallets horde a lot in EU. MA will always control the system and by doing so the outcome of that system. There is a lot of wiggle room and variables like people TT expensive items instead selling them at mark up and some holding onto items until their accounts go inactive. So it may not always end up like MA wants but chances are they know what will happen when items are looted, events held, resources reduced, etc etc.

I would not expect this situation to be any different on any other planet since MA controls the "black box" :nutkick:

Fault? well both in some way. Is MA playing on the fact and history of what happens when they manipulate ("balance") loot? Yeah they have a pretty good idea what will happen and how players will react given certain conditions. They set up the situation and some fall into line (myself included) to find ways to keep ahead of the game.

hehe always reminds me of a good Dune quote "He who controls the spice controls the Universe" MA controls the EU spice no ifs, ands, or buts, about it.

3. Actually, i think this is MAs fault as well - most people that "hit big" don't withdraw (only if they quit) or use that cash to fund their gameplay - they upgrade their gear.

And as this is "won" money, people have not the same concerns to spend it on "the gun i always wanted", not the same as if they would have to deposit the cash.

This is imo one of the main factors that causes the huge price tags we have on some of the items now.

And let's not forget that MA abuses this to make items with an incredibly high TT value and a 50% min TT, to tie up funds in EU...

4. Lavawalker

Lavawalker RETIRED

Hi Deathifier,

I have an 'in confidence' response so I can not post it,

Yes this would be the case if finance (PED) can be transferred between any of the other sites of operation.

I have also been asked not to discuss this any further.

5. Yeah! Cool! But with exams and RL Issued diplomas recoqnized IRL. Like where u goin with this.:bandit:

6. FatherJack

FatherJack El Diablo

Tieing up funds was one of my main issues when I returned to EU a few days ago... after sticking 1K ped on the card to start with (965 PED really - scamming bastards) I was left with 600 on the card after buying and repairing the basic tools for what skills I had left over from chipping out and after buying the bombs/probes/ammo on top of the cost of the gear my ped card looked very sorry indeed and 4 days later the card is looking much worse :shock:

My days of hammering the card for EU are long gone, and I will write off that 100 dollars as a harsh lesson learnt should things not improve - I can get much more entertainment elsewhere for a fraction of that cost. At least Dick Turpin had the good grace to wear a mask when he robbed people! :bandit:

7. Well isn't this just a case of the players fault of the cost to play? I can get mining gear for 10 peds in tt, so you spend 36 times as much as me. You can hardly blame MA for you wanting to play 'big'.

Ofc it's more fun to hunt big mobs and use big amps on mining trips. And MA is happy we upgrade. But with 1k peds you can litterally play for ages if you go unamped, or low damage gun.

8. FatherJack

FatherJack El Diablo

I could pick apart your reply if I could be bothered but I can't, but I will say I am unamped 105/104 and basic SIB guns.... believe me this is not playing "big" :poke:

9. narfi

narfi Lost

I think harmony had it right.

I depoed $100 at christmas and since then was swinging a bicak kek, lr41 or cb19 for 3 hours a day and just recently my card has dipped to a level where I decided to slow down a bit. I took off my armor bought a couple ul2s and have had more fun with this than I was hunting faster. Ive also profited since switching down as well :P

Ive still got over half my deposit, am playing smart and taking time to build my society. No, I dont get any big HOFs, (though my 2 month old socmate hit an 8k argo this morning, and another soc mate hit 3k nexus yesterday) but Im not here to gamble, Im here to relax and have fun, while slowly building up my characters skills. Been here 2 years and its still a blast.

my opinion is that it is the players with no self control who are to blame for their own cost of playing while it is also the credit of those with self control who are able to play on a much smaller budget.

narfi

10. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

There's also others. I am close to lvl 60 laser pistoleer, and use one of the most eco unlimited guns ingame (imp21) with a small amp to increase eco. I hunt small crap like drones or argoes wearing cheap armour, and yet STILL manage to lose most of the time, plain and simply because I get shit loot.

Anyone care to PM me some nice spots to mine?

11. FatherJack

FatherJack El Diablo

Oh I agree entirely, control I often would lose myself (usually drunk!) pre-VU10

I'll speak to you ingame. Maybe. :nana:

12. narfi

narfi Lost

I was never around before (L)

I plugged your gun into entropiatools.com and stuck an A104 on it. I dont know what your min dmg is so I left it at maxed even though I know its lower, and put in 6 for your HA.

Then I compared those numbers against a lvl15.5 noob with an H400+A104. The noob can do more dmg/sec and more dmg/pec than you can even after paying markup on the (L).

Now the difference is fairly negligible to be honest. So that leads me to wonder, is it worth it to have the ped tied up in a gun that only allows me to hunt on the same level as a new player when I have tons more skills than them?

Hmm this has really made me sit and think, and I don't know what I would do in your place. Probably sell the pistol and buy an Adjusted Embra, since even though its lower dmg/sec the dmg/pec is much better and the skill gains are actually worth something. And keep an H400/p5 for when I wanted to do the pistol hunts.

This brings me back to the idea that it is up to the player to decide how much they will spend though. Its a game and you need to do something in it that you enjoy. Once you start hunting bigger its hard on your pride to step down, because we all want to progress and be the best.

Sorry for the rambling post, mostly just thinking out loud to myself.

narfi

13. Wren

Wren Avid Gamer

I agree with this sentiment.
    I still get the feeling that some players are playing beyond their means thinking that they will get that HoF or ATH. It isn't guaranteed. I have never HoF'ed for ATH'ed. I just figure by the time I do it would have been meaningless because I would have spent more then the HoF or ATH is worth. So I do things in the game that make me happy on keep me entertained.

This does not mean I forgive MA for crap loot or high cost to play at the higher levels. However, it isn't like they twist your arm.

14. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Cheers, narfi.

The one argument against selling the gun is that if I do roughly equal damage as the noob with the kit you described now, when my skills go up, I will get more efficient (whatever that is worth in EU, anyway).

I still think it's weird that owning one of those guns and having lvl 60 apparently means dick in the game, though. I'm starting to wonder about the true value of the skills, other than for holding e-peen comparisons on who has more.

However, I'll put the imp21 back in storage for now, use P5 or H400 for a while, and dust the imp off when I reach lvl 70 or so (that'll be 2015 I reckon).

15. Corrianna Trina Xenophage

Corrianna Trina Xenophage Trained "Psycho&a mp; amp;quot;trop i

Look at the psychological part of this as well.. The L vs UL comparrison Narfi did shows that you can do roughly the same or better eco wise between the two set ups.

What it does not show is this..the mind set that you are being as eco as possible so you dont keep in the back of your head how FAST you are cycling peds. L guns fake everyone into a sense of security in this thought they that are Eco. In fact it is quite the opposite.

L guns decay fast. Thus giving MA more in decays back. Decays added along the line from the crater who made them (only having max 42% successrate to do so is their decay) to the hunter using them, to the auction to sell returns to buy another one.

L weapons as a single entity are eco.. but the effect on the game over all is a massive ped sink. MA can afford to fake you out with a little better avg when using L because they get such a massive return down the entire line of the items.

MA will NEVER pay you for being cheap. PERIOD. Using eco L gear IS being cheap. By people thinking they are eco they tend to cycle more ped then someone not using L would therefore the illusion of better returns.

L usersat the end of the day can look at their gear and go.. well shit I OWN this bad boy.. L users at the end of the day get to go.. Well Shit. I have to buy another tomorrow.. Hopefully MU is not up providing I can find one.

If you are not getting as good returns with your UL its because of the ped cycled is lower not the eco factor. If you are relatively close to the same eco as that L set up stick with your UL as you said it will only get better down the line where L is what is is forever.

Thats My take on gear and Cost to play.

16. Hate to bring it to you but maybe your grandchildren can use it when they inherit your avatar. Even an eco gun like the imp2870 needs at least lvl 80-90 to become really eco. Ofc when you reach those levels it really rocks (although by then you probably want something bigger).

In your case it seems to be the players 'fault' that the cost to play is high for you :)

But no worries there are a lot of players who do the same (like me with crafting on low qr blueprints)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.