Banner ads showing on desktop and mobile phone but not on two laptops

Discussion in 'Life, the Universe and Everything' started by INTERNUT, Feb 9, 2023.

1. How can banner ads for a site be showing on my desktop and mobile phone, but not on my two laptops? I realise how crazy that sounds but this is how it was or is. Anyone have any ideas why this would happen?

2. San

San

I believe you would have a higher chance of getting qualified answers by asking such questions in more relevant forums, at least when it's not about a technical issue directly related to your experience with the house's specific product. Same here.

3. It just so happens that I did ask the question on a tech forum, but I thought it would be worth asking on EP as well.

4. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Are you signed in using the same account(s) on the desktop and laptops? In our household, I certainly get different ads than Luna gets on her laptop.

It's also possible that you run different versions of ad blockers (if any), or perhaps perform different activities/browse different things based on the system? My work laptop is primarily used for, well, work. My private desktop is a mix of work, personal interests, gaming, and what not. As such, unless I use cross-system sessions (for example Chrome using specific accounts with synching across devices), I'd expect to see different ads.

5. Well I wasn't signed-in to any account, it was just a site I had stumbled upon almost by chance using my desktop that was showing banner ads at the top of the page. I liked what the site was about, mainly computer gaming news, and so made a mental note of the domain name. Some hours later I then accessed the same site on one of my laptops but no ads were showing even though it has the same browser. I then did the same with my second laptop but again no ads were showing. Wondering wtf was going on, I then switched my desktop back on and went to the same site yet again, and ads were showing!
    What caused this discrepancy I have no idea. In the end I decided to upgrade the Opera browsers on the laptops thinking that might solve the issue, and this worked as of about a week ago.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.