Armour

Discussion in 'Life, the Universe and Everything' started by San, Nov 3, 2017.

1. San

San

2. Soon soldiers wont die in a war anymore, yay :'D

3. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

upload_2017-11-4_1-56-9.png

4. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

At the beginning of the new century I worked for a really crazy company. We started a project there for a secure military vehicle together with a canadian company:
    upload_2017-11-4_2-15-12.png
    The job was to protect the passengers from serious injuries. At one hand from bullets and at the other hand from landmines. I've learned something about what happens when a landmine explodes below a vehicle. The vehicle will be accelerated vertically with high speed within fractions of a second. Plating doesn't help much. Vice versa, it'll strengthen the effect because it is the contrary of a crash-structure in modern cars. The shins and the backbones of the passengers will be crumbled. Especially the neck will be treated by an effect comparable to hang someone: It will break. The passengers will die or injured massively by the extrem acceleration, not by heat, pressure or parts of the vehicle. So what to do? Place vertical rails into the cabin as mount for the seats. Than put an explosive charge at it's top to accelerate the seat against the direction of the acceleration from the landmine. Something comparable to the mode of functioning of an airbag. The cabin was made as sandwich-structure with several layers of different materials. Same with the window glass. Thickness 80 mm.

Unfortunately the project became too expensive. Too much development costs. The boss canceled it ... :-( This was a project I loved very much ...
    upload_2017-11-4_2-55-7.png

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.