Anyone wonder what the search area of a probe looks like?

Discussion in 'Professions and Skills' started by Shim, Jan 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. For all those that want to know i gathered some data about 100 claims with my MF-211 and recorded the distance and depth of claims from the drop point. This is a model i made with the results. Id say it gives us a rough idea of how the probe/bombs scan the ground as far as i can tell most of the probe area is waisted and this section is what the finder is able to scan through. Let me know what ya think.

bomb-probe search signature.JPG

Im collecting this kind of data so if you would like to contribute please PM me. This model is based off the following 3 pieces.

Average Search Depth
    Depth of Claim
    Distance from drop.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 14
  2. This is really cool, but I can't quite figurea out the ground plane - could you put more labels or something to make it more obvious? Also something to give it scale like an avatar, mob or familiar tree would help?

• Like Like x 6
  3. ok per request here it is. lol the perspective to a person was a little hard since well the scale of that thing but here it goes.

First off here is a pic of bryce my Avatar for this demonstration. Im standing him at the bottom of the search area so really hes buried. Sorry Bryce! (Hope he can breath down there.

View attachment 2812

now Lets zoom out a bit.

View attachment 2814

Ok lets take a look of the WHOLE thing with a ground plane.

View attachment 2813

Yes that little spec is Bryce. Wow how are we gona get him out.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 14
  4. Brilliant - Shim are you interested in writing a guide page on this stuff?

• Like Like x 8
  5. Kets

Kets Cranky Old EuC Reporter

Fantastic work!

• Like Like x 6
  6. Sure ill write a page guide. What are you wanting in it??? This is simply a probe/bomb signature underground. My research goes further to understanding resource depth ranges as well as locations and density accross Calypso and even CND. It also goes into the effectiveness of certain finders in certain areas (Just Starting This).

The problem is most of it still has holes in it because of lack of data, so its a work in progress. If anyone would like to contribute data im taking it all and will add it to the work im doing. If you want to continue but dont know how or hate logging data, NRF is a good tool to use that pretty much hotkeys logging.

Anyway if your interested in contributing to the work above please PM me.

• Like Like x 8
  7. Nother interesting Fact is that the typical search area for a bomb or probe is ~4,561,592 cubic meters. However the area of a maxed TT finder is ~3,801,327 cubic meters. That is 17% less. The reason for this is that the maxed or less TT finder's average search depth is not deep enough to take full use of the upper portion of the search area. These numbers are rough but you all get the point.

• Like Like x 7
  8. BBCode and Attachments preferably, or HTML if we must but that's more of a pain to format.

So, just make a big post of how you'd like the article to be and I'll make it into a guide page :)

• Like Like x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.