*Adopt a Newbie* ~ new concept brainstorming and ideas

Discussion in 'Adopt a Newbie Foundation' started by Lykke TheNun, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Lykke TheNun

Lykke TheNun Lootius bless you all!

Hey all :)
    I have been playing with an idea since the School of Lootius, which CoL had a while ago.

The concepts name is *Adopt a Newbie*

Idea
    Newbies profile 'database' with newbies not yet in societies. Maybe newbies with no friends yet and hardly any experience in game.

Societies can from this list choose to adopt a newbie for a min of 4 weeks period.

The purpose
    - is to keep more people in game. Often new players do not return because they do not have anything personal to return to.

It has been proven more than once that the community and social values in game are higher than the game play itself. And if new people doesn't really know how to start, some might be shy and not that good to get friends or ge into societies, it might result in people quitting and never coming back. And the whole trust-a-newbie issue before you invite them as a soc-mate is of course also a barrier.

With this agreement you have no obligations whatsoever because there will be a written contract. Both the soc-leader and the newbie knows it's only for a sertain period of a min 4 weeks. No one should be disappointed when the 4 weeks are over and it's up to the society how to act from here - if they wish to expand the period!

It's a free service
    - and I have not yet thought of any kind of donations etc. for the project. I HAVE been thinking if donations should be of free choise if a society decides to keep a newbie in the society after the set time of 4 weeks. Just like a temporary job agency does it in RL - but this is not decided at all yet - and probably it won't happen.

ANYWAY
    Tell me if you like this idea? Could be expand, improved etc. Is it any good?

If we pull this off we will make a section on the forum with this service and in the Yellow pages aswell, of course. And make a new banner for the clientloader, because this service definitely is targeted Newcomers ;)

Discuss ....

2. Stave

Stave Guest

This could work, if you do set this up i reccomend co ordanating with the extedned guides to sign them up.

I beleve this could work, one of eta's previous customers told me that the tours are what got him into the game. So things like this does increase the chances that they will continue to play.

3. Lykke TheNun

Ty Stave :)
    Maybe we could even put together a newbie program for the newbies in this concept? Saying - from the newbie starts in the soc they have some 'appointments' with others - f.x. your tour agency! Like a plan when a new member of a company joins the staff group ;)

4. actually, something similar was suggested by Mikah once, but in terms of mentoring database, for newbies to search mentors (and vice versa) (Ion may remember that one :D)

there was a try on another site i think, can't recall the name tho, but didn't work out that well

could work with socs, but needs quite some promotion
    especially for newbies

i guess 90% of the people who check in games, especially online ones, want instant action and don't read much on the tutorials, guides, ads, etc.

most dont log in EU again after day 1 or day 2

from the incoming newbie perspective at the moment, its pretty low, there aren't too many joining, which may change when the new planets come tho

in either case it will need quite some advertising and i don't know if they will be reading that at all or are interested in information and stuff (from the guide perspective, i am usually guiding 2 hours per day at the NAZ or TI, i get 2-8 newbies in that time of which maybe 1 actually talks with me, rest ignores me, so i dont know how well that would work out :D)

either way, i like the idea

5. ya, at the moment we could do that

i don't know when this program gonna end, but we can help as long we are there :)

6. Lykke TheNun

Thanks Alice :)
    Yes, I know it's a huge challenge to get the newbies in here to sign up. But maybe in the end it will be worth it for them? Of course they need to see the purpose with it - but another challenge is for the societies to see the purpose in adopting!

We can advertice on EP of course, and hopefully EF will accept advertising there aswell, since it IS an EU service ...

Other than that there are the advertising system in game - shouting around, mouth-to-mouth through you guys :) and last, but not least, since it's a newbie related service, a banner on the client loader!

I am not seeing this as 'MY' project - but dedicate the whole concept to the EP community!

7. Stave

Stave Guest

yes, i like it, perhaps provide everyone who signs up with a info sheet containing links to all the servicees they may need as well as tools and things like radio stations and ofc alices guide.

just a basic intro on how to get the most out of eu

8. Shadowsong

Shadowsong Collateral Damage

I have a pile of pixie harnesses, M and F, which we can use as "sign-up rewards" ... I'll log in later and see exactly how many I have.

It should be fairly easy for us to gather some more cheapo noob items for freebies. Somebody was running a "broken opalo" campaign on EF, perhaps we can do something like that as well.

*One of the biggest issues new players have is the price of sweat. If we can provide a limited "market maker" package which guarantees a 1pec sweat price in the form of items, up to a limit of say 1K sweat, that will also draw new players into the activities once they're signed up.

So, for example, on the first day the noob is taken sweating, interface issues explained, etc, and at the end of the session the gathered sweat is traded for an item - broken opalo, decayed armour, or ammo, at a 1pec rate for each sweat. This doesn't burden us with massive expense, and gets new players some startup kit the right way - by working for it.

9. Lykke TheNun

That is a good idea, Shadowsong - I also have some few pixieparts and newbie weapons from SoL (School of Lootius) donated by Spawn back in days (ty Spawn :) ), I will throw into the bunch !

10. Atlan Leticron

Atlan Leticron Postmoderna pixel pusher

I remember yes :D

I even think that I have the seals around somewhere (for the mentor)

I have no idea where and why it ended, but it looked as a good idea.

Ok, I see if and what I can do to help in this project.
    Since my VU update tottaly screwed over my PE.

And ps.

Grats to Stave with his promotion :D

Regards.
    Ion

11. Stave

Stave Guest

promotion? :p

12. Lykke TheNun

Stave, promotion ??? Tell :lolup:

-----------------------------------------------

Anyway, we have now:

• Profile list of newbies (database of people in a special section called *Adopt a Newbie* - there should be some guidelines for when you can sign up. What if freelancers are looking for societies to join? Maybe the service can be expaned as a player-soc dating programe ;) )
    • Newbie start up programe (a 4 week programe - not everyday but some of the days to meet up with different people and services)
    • Newbie package (Only for newbies being adopted to a society. How can we be sure, that no one will take advantage of this?)
    • A noob-fund
    • A noob-guide which they 'get' when they start (how should they get that? If they are members here it's easy. We can send them a pm with it or even a mail if they agree to that)
    • Promoting through guides and other people related to newbie-programes like Entropia Tour Agency. Can we come up with other in game related business' which are having some kind of newbie-prograge?

13. Atlan Leticron

Yup, your promoted to Captain ;)
    And your new siggy is ready too.

Back on topic, is it maybe a idea to create a special soc for this?
    Let it run by some experienced players, if they want ofcourse.

This way they have also eachother to help and people from other soc's can always help ofcourse.

I know there are a few of those soc's around and I have no clue about how they are doing.

But this can be a "official" EP school or something.

Just brainstorming here.

Regards.
    Ion

14. Lykke TheNun

Yes Atlan, great idea. An idea I worked with for many years:

Mentor? Join School of Lootius-society today!
    Newbie? Join School of Lootius-society today !

Unfortunately it didn't quite work as planned - which is why I believe we should not drag them to one single place - but instead made a placement :)

Why it really didn't work out beats me :headscratch: but my guess is you can reach longer if you have more people to support you than just a few!

(Ps: something went wrong in your siggie?? )

15. Atlan Leticron

Ah ok.

We had a CDR Academy some time ago and it worked quit well actualy.

Untill the academy leader wend awol :confused:

Oh well, it was just a thought :D

Regards.
    Ion

16. Lykke TheNun

To make it work you need some people highly interested in the work with newbies only - also well knowing, that the society might be quite empty from time to time.

We had it, as you see, in CoL - and lately Spawn was the leader of SoL and he did a great job. But in the lenght it gets pretty frustrating and boring and you miss talking with some more skilled players and people you can count on will be online ;)

I still believe in the idea somehow - but from the get go it requires at least 3-5 skilled players who wish to build it up. The question then is, are there ANYONE who is willing enough to leave the society they might have been a part of for years to dedicate their time with newbies?

I don't know. We also talked about dragging the newbies to our soc - but also pretty much gave up that idea - because what if you do not wish to keep people?

With the *Adopt a Newbie* you sign up for only a limited time and therefor it might be more interesting for the societies to work with newbies this way.

The mentoring programe is still in a progress from MA and of course we do not know how it will work in future - but there's also a problem with all the newbies who had fun hunting or mining a little, but yet doesn't know enough about game and the socials - and then they are suddenly too skilled to become a disciple!

17. Shadowsong

Okay, I have 10 each of Pixie harness M & F, as well as 5 each of Pixie footguards M & F for either sign-up gifts or sweat trade goods.

As for the structure, I think it should be independent of any soc, and aimed more towards integrating with mentoring when that returns.

Until mentoring is back, we can fine-tune the relationships with existing noob programmes and activities to start becoming a contact hub for all ends of the equation.

I'm happy to hang around the arrival zone for some word-of-mouth promotion. In fact, I'll go do some of that for EP a bit later anyway.

18. Lykke TheNun

Shadowsong, you mean, that it should NOT be the socs which adopts the newbies?? (just to get it all clear, since my English is not that well :) )

It all depends on the new mentoring programe - yes! And I think it's a good idea we prepare some newbie-packages! Awesome if we can point the newbies to a place saying *hey, everything you need in one place .. OH and you just got yourself a trainee spot too at xx-avatar in xx-soc :D*

And all kind of promoting is AWESOME :) Ty. Im usually standing shouting around in Twins myself :D

19. Shadowsong

Well that can be a part of the programme for sure, but I was referring more to the idea of starting a soc to administer the project - that's the part I think is not necesary. I see it working more as part of the networking features of the forum, connecting new players to mentors, socs, traders.. the full spectrum of Calypso interraction under a structured umbrella with ongoing assistance, perhaps in the form of player-created "quests" and such.

The new miss Calypso endorses EP :) Saw her at PA after we met. Put her on the interview list ;)

20. Atlan Leticron

That is what we basicly had in mind with the mentor system.
    With a website where mentors and disciples could advertise and some kind of mentor seal system.

The purpose of the last was that active mentors would receive a seal with a number which they could use on the site.
    A list would be available with the numbers and coresponding names.
    This way we hoped to show who was actualy a mentor and who was a farmer.

Regards.
    Ion

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.