3D-print service for EntropiaPlanets members

Discussion in 'General Entropia Universe Discussion' started by Jamira, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, let me offer a special service to EntropiaPlanets members:

Send me your 3D-model and I will try to print it or give you at least advice what to do to make it better or even printable. Printable models must be converted to stereolitography file format "*.stl". (Check the export section of your favorite software!) I can transform several formats to STL for you if you cannot export it in this format - most common i.g. *.obj and limited *.3ds. I've learned from my old and running threads that one or two folks playing around with 3D-models and think about printing them. Okay, before buying a 3D-printer and get a bloody nose you may use my experiance and service to check out how good it works ... it's usually not done by clicking something. It's more like blood, sweat and tears ;-).

I would print your models for free. Another task are the shipping costs if we succeed with your model and you want it. You probably live at another continent at Planet Earth ;-) (Suggestion @admin: new section of EntropiaPlanets: "Ol' Planet Earth")

Two ways to work it out:
    Either I document how it works here in this thread with text and pictures or/and you pay the shipping costs and get your model (after viewing photos and my comments about the quality and what's left to be done).
    I will post advice here for everyone.

Is that cool or is that cool?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Examples

Well, my first halfway good one as first example (costs ~8 Euro): 20150117_004611.jpg

RAZER's Nusul (costs ~2 Euro):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Placeholder

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  4. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

No one? Really no one?

5. I have a model of the Nebuchadnezzar from the Matrix that I always thought would be cool to have printed. Also I have some models I've made with sketchup but they are not that detailed and wouldn't print well. I will have to do some digging in my backup files to see if I can find the Nebuchadnezzar.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

At some point but not at the moment. I have your previous pm's about what I need to do etc)

7. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

Well you did get my Nusul model already :)

8. This is what I've got. I'm guessing if it's printed like it is, it will require lots of support material and there is a good chance the hoverpads and guns will break.
    Possible/not possible? or thoughts/ideas?

9. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Depends on what you want. Generally we have two choices:
    • A small modell (max roughly 170 mm long, 90 mm wide, 100 mm high) as one single print. Regarding the Nebuchadnezzar you will lose many details, the surface will look stepped (~4-5 layer per mm hight) - especially flat curvature areas will look terrible. Some of the unwanted stairs will be probably bigger than wanted details.
    • A bigger model from several parts (several prints) like a model kit from Revell or Tamiya. You will see more details and the stairs would be relatively smaller compared to the size of the model. I've learned, such models are problematic. Some of the single prints can be distorted because of the heat during the print process. So you may have serious problems to fit them together later.
    Look what I got when I made the Imperium Spec Lancer (~130 mm long, one part):
    20150122_225337.jpg
    20150122_225423.jpg
    Best would be you send me your model. Than I can tell you more.
    ullajamirabraun@t-online.de

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Yep. Here is what I got in Rhino:
    Nusul01.jpg
    I added a ground plate:
    Nusul02.jpg

Printer:
    Nusul01.png (good to see the triangular surface from a low polygon model)
    Let's see. Finally we are a bit more EU related here ;-)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Good morning :-)
    RAZER's Nusul, 90 mm high:
    20150123_075519.jpg With support material (39 g = 0.98 Euro. THAT'S low budget, isn't it?)

20150123_081013.jpg Chocolate side

20150123_081039.jpg
    Non-chocolate side without support material (27 g)
    All in all a very good model. No problems. Some details (eyes) are to small and were not good printed. They must be painted later.

Okay, one last picture after a rough sanding and basic color:
    20150123_134655.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. RAZER

Looks pretty cool !
    And just under 1 euro is amazing actually.

13. RAZER

makes me wanna try to print one of the designs from my job (architecture), but those will probably be to detailed.
    What is the smallest you can print on your printer ? Looks like 0.5mm or so?

14. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

As I answered to Wildar above: Either very small models as one piece with less details and rough surface or bigger models in several parts. But that would be walls in your case. And if you try to print walls with this little precious you cannot merge them later but can use them for your cornflakes at breakfast ;-) They would be completely distorted.

That was the reason for me to leave the technical sector and go to more natural forms ... erm ... like women even ;-)

15. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Okay only the print material. You put some work into modeling, I let the printer run for ~6 hrs (costs were nearly half a bottle of whiskey + power costs), if you want a really good model you need some sandpaper, basic color and final color. But hey, even if you end up at 3 or 5 Euro it is still a low budget model.
    I agree with you that it looks pretty cool and thought probably there is no need to make the surface complete smooth. It's an animal and wears fur, doesn't it? Btw. do you want the model?

16. RAZER

oh I would love to have the model. I'll send you a PM so we can arrange shipping.

17. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Oh, that leads to another important question regarding 3D-printing! (Thank you, Razer, for the push!)
    In industry, design and model building everybody who wants to have a "part" asks first: "What is the best method to get my part?" That may be milling, casting, carving, bending - or even 3D-printing. My son is an architect and I saw his diploma model of a complex of buildings. It was made from plywood with laser cutting. Looked impressive. Was one of several good methods to build THIS model. 3D-printing (at least at my level) wouldn't look to good. And professional 3D-prints are still too expansive imo.

18. RAZER

and about the building models, I was thinking about just shape studies of a building, so not walls etc.

Stuff like this would be way to detailed already I guess: Klembord-1.jpg

19. RAZER

but if you want to try stuff I can try to simplify the model for printing

20. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

The printer-software would simplify your stuff soon enough ;-) I think it wouldn't make sense. Maximum model size is ~170x90x100 mm (LxWxH). Imagine your house scaled down to souch a size! And as mentioned: the print would be distorted. You would get a nice Colani bow at the roof ;-))

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.