3D Print Phase IV: Real Life Models

Discussion in 'Life, the Universe and Everything' started by Jamira, May 20, 2016.

1. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Now it becomes serious!
    I asked Eugene for a 3d model of my head and ordered a new material: BronzeFill PLA wich contains 80% bronze. Process went as usual: RL photos - 3d model - 3d print with standard PLA - 3d print with the new bronze material - finish.
    RL01.png ZBrush01.png
    print01.png
    Foto 19.05.16, 14 42 54.jpg Foto 20.05.16, 15 26 50.jpg

I have to admit that I like it very much.
    Well, a few small details vanished during the finishing process (some wrinkles and stubbles) and the print layers are still visible. I made a very small version as well:
    P1020451.JPG
    Both of them share a printer problem: The last levels looks shitty and have holes:
    print03.png
    But I ordered a 3d pen for 1,75 mm PLA filament already to treat such issues.
    Even the very small print is not bad:
    P1020459.JPG
    I think this enables me to put such heads onto 12" figures - either from RL or from games.
    Michael02.png

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Comparison
    P1020455.JPG
    Plus:

• The bronze material is brittle. Sanding is much easier than at standard PLA
    • No need to paint the model. Just sand it and polish it with steel wool
    • Details are more accurate
    • The weight is 2.6 times higher (86 vs. 220 grams). Feels good ;-)
    Minus:
    • The material costs are very high: 23 Euro vs. 67 Euro/kg. And I need more of it by 2.6 times. So the price is ~7.6 times higher. That means ~18 Euro for this head (including support material).
    However, it's really worth it!

I will emigrate to my own website soon and don't spam EP any longer with my silly 3d issues.

• Like Like x 1
  3. looks great. Good luck.

https://www.namesilo.com/ is a fairly good and cheap domain name service if you don't have one yet.

4. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

Looks good, interesting too to see your RL head :)
    And I don't mind you posting your stuff here.

5. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

I got the 3d pen today and it works properly.
    20160521_203526.jpg
    The hole in the head is closed:
    20160521_203512.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Since the quality is much better with the metal material I will start to test figures of 300 to 350 mm hight. Three options:
    1. Complete RL figure
    2. Complete game character
    3. Mixed game character with RL head
    Such figures would fit to each damn desktop all over the world. Something like this two babes:
    20160521_205420.jpg
    (For the non-smokers: the cigarette box is 90 mm tall.)

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

LOL yeah ... my RL appereance ... there was once a thread at the former Entropia Forum (now called Planet Calypso Forum) from this old UK guy. I forgot his name. He was famous. Something like "Show us your real face". I posted a RL photo there already. Must be 12 billion years ago ...
    All in all I am one of the few who post a lot of RL issues. Just because it's worth it - RL I mean ;-) Beautiful flat with loggia, Mazda MX-5 roadster, RL Katana and hickory bow (made by myself), how to print dreams and such ...

8. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

Yep remember that thread, can't remember your in there, but there were a lot of people in there for sure.

9. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

At vacation atm ... but I will check if I can prepair the 3d-grab of my former female Martial Armor to male and put my RL-head on it when I'll be back at home next week. Does any male colonist here own a set of this series of armors (Martial, Predator ... forgot the other names)? I need some screenshots of it. I would appreciate help with this issue very much.

At least I can by any chance print a model of an ingame character with my head. Wich means no further costs to hire old Eugene for modeling.

10. What kind of colors would I need to paint the drone "realistically" ?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

LOL!
    Do you really want this model? Okay. Simply use REVELL or comparable colours for plastic model kits. But you will need some sanding as well. I will send you the print when I'm back home next week.

12. I can already feel how I will mess this one up. You think its worth trying at all ? How easily can it break ? Can it stand on its own ?
    Too tired...n8n8 xD

13. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

No worries. The print is solid and can stand on its feet. I once offered prints just for material and shipping costs. You will get your drone and can pay ingame with PED. But be aware that it is small (~140 mm) and looks shitty. Very rough even. It's original from the grabbed model. No improvements. You have to do some sanding and colouring by yourself until it'll look nearly like a drone ingame. I for myself would say it's not worth a try. But that's my four cigarettes only.

14. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

McCormmick

48.49 for the plan, 58.20 for the distressing. Was kinda cool to see the effect.

Someone sent me this recently. Was rather fascinating, always wondered how people painted stuff so nice

15. Very nice, even if I have never seen the "new" Galactica. But I admire such ppl. :)

16. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, I use pencils only. That's okay for me. But my figure is way larger (800 mm) and has much modelled details. Your main job with the Drone will be to sand it. Since I printed it lying flat all its back is full of remainings from supportmaterial. Not much to do at its front.
    But as mentioned: the 3d-model is pretty simple and flat. Just buy a very small pencil for the details. You must do at the printed model with colorurs what the devs at MA did with textures.

17. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

But back to topic: I still need help from a male colonist with Predator or Martial Armor. Probably you know someone who owns one of this armors?

18. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Ah you should. I've been watching it (slowly) with my housemate. We are somewhere in early season 2.

19. Im more into the 80s series...but Ill keep it in mind.

20. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

O well, I don't want to disturb your personal talk with Wistrel here at my thread. Feel free to continue. I'll be back later ;-)
    For now I will start a request at the main section.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.