Entropia Universe in a nutshell
Entropia Universe (formerly "Project Entropia") is a MMOG/Virtual World consisting of the Entropia Platform developed and operated by Mindark PE AB and several 'game worlds' called Planets that are authored and run by independent companies, so called "Planet Partners".
Currently there are five active planets: Planet Calypso, ROCKtropia, Next Island, Planet Arkadia and Planet Cyrene. Two more planets are in development and scheduled for release: Planet Toulan (2013) and Theryon Wars (2014). The development of at least one more planet is supposed to be announced in 2013 and there is one more project (Planet Postmoderna) striving to become a Planet Partner. And then there is another entity partially adopting the planet partner concept: Monria, the moon that has been sold for of USD 150,000 in April 2013. 
Entropia Universe went "Gold" and became publically available in 2003. In April 2009 Entropia Universe had 820,000 registered accounts and Planet Calypso alone had an economic turnover of $422M USD in 2009.
Entropia Universe has hit the news several times due to sales of virtual objects for large sums of real money such as 100,000 USD for the Asteroid Space Resort that became known as Club NEVERDIE or 330,000 USD for Crystal Palace Space Station.
Those figures are only possible because Entropia Universe is based on a Real Cash Economy (RCE), meaning the ingame currency Project Entropia Dollars (PED) has a fixed exchange rate rate of 10:1 to the US Dollar and players can convert 'real world' cash into game currency as well as the other way round.
Depositing money is not necessary to play the game. To a large extent it is free-to-play but without paying money progession in game becomes harder and harder the further you get and some features simply require you to spent money.
Entropia Universe is currently only available for Microsoft Windows but another client software for other platforms is in development (to-do: more info, source). Very basic game features are also available via an Android app called Virtual Tycoon.
 Entropia Universe key concepts
 Real Cash Economy (RCE)
Entropia Universe' rather unique and basic feature is the "Real Cash Economy" (RCE). The in-game currency "Project Entropia Dollars" (PED) has a of 10:1 with the US Dollar. Consequently every item, service or activity in the game has a value linked to the 'real world'. Players can convert 'real-world' cash into the ingame currency Project Entropia Dollar as well as the other way round.
(to do: EULA/ToU on virtual property)
Depositing is the process of transfering real-world money into the game. This can be done by the following methods: bank transfer, credit card/debit card (Visa or MasterCard), Paynova, Paysafecard, PayByCash, Ukash or PED Certificate issued by MindArk and often given away for promotion.
You can also receive ingame currency by utilizing Sometrics services but that is not considered depositing.
It is also possible to withdraw money from the game. When withdrawing money the in-game PED are transfered to a regular bank account. Fees are charged on withdrawals at 1% with a minimum fee of 100 PED (10 USD). Withdrawals are processed within 40 working days and can be made in a choice of 8 currencies based on exchange rates provided by the European Central Bank.
 Spending PED
(to do: Items, Ammo, Decay, Usage of Materials, Fees)
 Earning PED - Making money in Entropia Universe?
- Sweating: Sweating or formally "Sweat Gathering" is the (free-to-play) process of extracting "Vibrant Sweat" from Creatures. Vibrant sweat is mainly used as an ingredient in Mind Essence and thus has a market value of a few PED/1000 units.
- Collecting: fruits, stones, dung and Broken Elysian Technology can be more or less rarely found on the ground and picked up for free. All of them are ingredients used in crafting other items and thus have market value.
- Missions: Missions some missions can be played for free but nevertheless reward items or that can be sold or used for pay-to-play activities. Also rewarded Skills can be extracted and sold but the process itself requires paid items.
- Events: Regularly you can find events that are free to participate in, either ingame or on community websites, and nevertheless award the winners with more or less valuable prizes, for example: Guess what's inside the egg and win!
- The Entropia Emissary Program is a Facebook app that allows players to share promotional material via Facebook and receive points for these activities which can be turned into low value ingame items.
- (to do: Sometrics)
- Oil rigs and similar: Oil rigs produce a few units of Oil every few minutes. The oil appears on the ground and can be picked up by everyone. On ROCKtropia one can find the Motörhead Stadium Beer Garden where Motörhead Kegs appear on the ground. These free goods spreading facilities are regularly found in areas with Player-versus-Player combat (PVP) enabled, meaning one probably has to fight for the the free items.
- Trading and services: Trading is another way to generate PED but requires an investment depending on the scale of tradng. Also one can provide services to other players like transporting between planets, running events in Event Areas, item and avatar customization services and more. Most of the services also need an small or big investment to get started.
- (to do: Playing for profit, HOF's, ATH's, ...)
- Calypso Land Deeds (CLD) issued by Planet Calypso are similar to shares. They allow the deedholder to receicve a share of Planet Calypso's total revenue on a weekly basis.
 One World
"Unlike many other 3D virtual environments, Entropia Universe is not based on shards. This means that instead of duplicating content on servers, rather it is designed as one continuous world". "To achieve this hundreds of servers are connected to create open landscapes with seamless transitions and on-demand streaming."
 Planet Partner concept
Entropia Universe features a Planet Partner concept. MindArk PE AB develop and operate the Entropia Universe platform and provide an "Entropia Universe Planet Development Kit" (EUPDK) to partner companies who develop their own planets within the universe.
 CryEngine 2
- before/after images
 Entropia Universe Gameplay
For more detailed insights on specific topics please refer to the Entropia Universe Guide.
- Entropia Universe is a Massively Multiplayer Online game, you play with other players from all over the world via the internet.
- Entropia Universe is a persitant virtual world that continues to progres even if you don't play.
- Entropia Universe is unlike most other MMOGs not a "sharded" but a "shared universe", all players are playing within the same world, there are no multiple instances of the game on different servers.
- Entropia Universe is an immersive virtual 3D environment in which you mainly play by controlling an 3D Avatar.
 Avatar creation
The avatar creation system offers a multitude of options that allow you to create an avatar within a broad variety of human appearances. The following video gives an introduction to the avatar creation system:
 Avatar management
beauty, clothes, homes, progression
 Virtual property
Entropia Universe offers a huge selection of virtual property. Besides the items used for major gameplay activities like hunting there are also vehicles of almost every kind, homes, furniture and decoration, all kind of clothes, and investment opportunities like shops, taxable land areas, motherships, etc etc etc.
 Professions and skills
Entropia Universe features a multitude of professions and skills in various categories such as "Combat" and "Manufacturing". Ingame skills increase automatically by performing related activities, for example getting hit by a creature increases defense skills. Like most other things in Entropia Universe and unlike in other games skills can be bought from and sold to other players in Skill Implants, except a set of skills in the "Attributes" category - such as Strength, Agility, Health etc.
 The big three: Hunting, Mining, Crafting
Among the activities and professions in Entropia Universe Hunting, Mining and Crafting (Manufacturing) are considered "the big three". They cover large portions of the gameplay as part of missions, instances, events (competitions), general skilling or simply as "stand-alone" activity.
The planets in Entropia Universe are home of a multitude of creatures that players can hunt. For hunting there are even more weapons than creatures available and in addition weapon attachements like scopes, laser amplifiers and more. There are also tools for healing and many different armor sets for protection. All of these items come with specific strengths and weaknesses that should be considered for hunting specific creatures. Hunting can be done in first person view or third person view. Hunting is embedded in most missions, competitions and instances but is also done for regular skilling.
Mining is the search for mineral deposits that are available in the two general categories "ores" and "Energy Matters". On Planet Arkadia you can in addition mine for treasures. Various mining equipment is available, absolutely needed is a "Finder" and the consumable "Probes" to find deposits as well as an "Extractor" to extract deposits. Unlike hunting mining is rather a non-time-critical point-and-click process.
Trading is a popular 'profession' in Entropia Universe. Traders use the in-game auction system, shops or avatar-to-avatar trade trying to buy cheap and sell high. Buying small quantities of the same resources to achieve larger stacks that sell for more PED is another common trading method, depending on the specific item this can also work the other way round. Transporting goods through Space from one planet to another to profit from varying market values on different planets is also common. There's also higly spectulative trading on the grand scale, including items like Motherships -the biggest class of spaceships in Entropia Universe- and estates potentially worth ten thousands of USD.
Customization, beauty, estate management, event mamagement, transport, etc
Sweating, formally "Sweat Gathering" is the process of extracting "Vibrant Sweat" from animals. Vibrant Sweat has a low but quite stable value since it is used for further processing, mainly to "Mind Essence". That way Sweating is widely known as a way to generate a few PEDs and actually play for free.
Entropia Universe features a mission system. So far there are 800+ Missions. Some of those missions can be completed without using any PEDs or Equipment.
Entropia Universe also features an instances system. Instances are seperate areas with usually higher quality content that players usually enter in small teams to achieve a specific goal usually in very limited time. But instances can also be used for official competitions running for several weeks.
Player-Versus-Player combat is enabled in various seperate zones on planets and almost in complete Space. Depending on the setting of the zones one player can loot specific categories of items from another player, usually only stackable items such as resources and not single items like weapons. Specific categories of player-owned estates have an option to set/unset PVP combat.
 Space and planets
 Entropia Universe Planets
 Planet Calypso
Planet Calypso is the first planet in the Entropia Universe. It is run by Mindark subsidiary Planet Calypso AB, has been online since 2003, became profitable in 2004 and had an economic turnover of $422M USD in 2009.  Planet Calypso is also the largest among the planets and includes the destinations Asteroid (formerly Club NEVERDIE) and Crystal Palace Space Station. Calypso's theme is the human colonization of the frontier planet and fighting the robot threat.
ROCKtropia is the first planet after Planet Calypso launched in 2010. ROCKtropia is developed by NEVERDIE Studios headed by Entropia Universe player Jon NEVERDIE Jacobs. ROCKtropia's theme is focussed on pop culture and entertainment. In late 2011 a destination called Hunt The THING based on the remake of the movie The THING was added to the planet.
 Next Island
Launched in late 2010 Next Island is third planet in Entropia Universe. It's backstory deals about scientists discovering ways to travel to a parallel universe (Next Island) and throughout time. In 2011 the first time travel destination Ancient Greece has been added to the planet.
 Planet Arkadia
Planet Arkadia launched in April 2011. It's the fourth planet added to Entropia Universe and the second one headed by a former regular player ("Ozi", David Dobson). It's setting is similar to Calypso's with aspects of space colonization and Military Sci-fi. A distinct feature is Treasure Hunting, a kind of premium mining variant and instance gameplay.
 Planet Cyrene
 (Monria) Moon
In early April 2013 a moon was sold for 1,500,000 PED (=150,000 USD) and named "Monria". Officialy Monria is not a planet but features a revenue sharing model similar to regular planets but without the development needs/opportunities of a regular planet. Monria was bought by long term players and is scheduled to be added in late Q2 or Q3 2013.
 Planet Toulan
 Theryon Wars
 Unknown Planet
 Planet Postmoderna
Planet Postmoderna is an independent MMO project and aspiring planet partner. No affiliation to Entropia Universe at time of writing.
 Planet Michael
 Universal Monsters Planet
Besides Planet Michael SEE Virtual Worlds were supposed to create another planet, the Universal Monsters Planet planet based on the Universal Studios Monsters and monster hunter Van Helsing. (((Source?))) Unfortunately also the Universal Monsters Planet will not be added to Entropia Universe since the partnership between MindArk and SEE Virtual Worlds has been terminated.(((Source?)))
 Dotman, 2nd Earth, CRD Planet
CRD was supposed to craft a planet for Entropia Universe but unfotunately is not listed as a planet partner anymore..
Unfortunately the head and promoter of the project at CRD passed away in June 2008.
 Entropia Universe Milestones
A very detailed overview on Entropia Universe history can be found on Portal:Entropia Universe History.
- Beta (2001)
05 May 2001: The game enters Phase I of Beta testing with a number of around 50 participants.
- Gold (2003)
31 January 2003: Project Entropia went Gold.
A complete new continent called Amethera is released on Planet Calypso
- Treasure Island sale (2004)
Treasure Island was the first major estate sale in Project Entropia. It went to to Australian gamer David Storey aka "Zachurm Deathifier Emergen" for USD 26,500 USD which ensured that it appeared in the Guiness Book of World Records 2004 as the most expensive virtual object.
- Club NEVERDIE sale (2005)
- name change
The game changes its name from "Project Entropia" to "Entropia Universe".
- 500,000 accounts (13 October 2006)
- Shopping Malls sale
- Banking Licences
- FPC spin-off
- New Avatar Creation System (2007)
- CryEngine 2 migration (August 2009)
- entropiaplanets.com ;) (September 2009)
- Crystal Palace sale (December 2009)
Crystal Palace Space Station
- Mission/Quest System (2010)
- ROCKtropia (2010)
- Vehicles (2010)
- Next Island (2010)
- Medusa's Head sale
- Ancient Greece (2011)
- Planet Arkadia (2011)
- Space (2011)
- Calypso Land Deeds (2011)
In late 2011 MindArk introduced Calypso Land Deeds (CLDs) on Planet Calypso. CLDs work similar to shares, the deedholder is given a share of the planet's revenue on a weekly basis.
- Hunt The THING
Hunt The THING
- Instances (2012)
- Virtual Tycoon (2012)
In late 2012 MindArk released Virtual Tycoon, a mobile app for devices using the Android OS. Virtual Tycoon enables access to basic game system that before have only be available by using the regular game client on a Windows PC.
- New Avatar Creation System (2013)
In early 2013 a completely new Avatar Creation System has been introduced offering players many more options to customize their avatars and also increasing the visual quality.
- TEN (2013)
Entropia Universe celebrates its 10nth birthday (after going Gold) with special events and items: TEN.
- Moon estate sale(2013)
A moon is auctioned offering the owner a revenue model compared to that of regular planets.
 Key Figures
 Number of players
- Registered accounts
In late 2010/early 2011 the number of registered accounts must have exceeded 1 Million
- Active players
there are highly speculative assumptions about the number of players, for example:
 Virtual item sales
Top 10 of prices paid for virtual items or estates:
- 635,000 USD for Club NEVERDIE (Asteroid Space Resort), NEVERDIE selling it to various other Entropia Universe participants.
- 330,000 USD for Crystal Palace Space Station by "Buzz Eric Lightyear" (Erik Novak) on December 28, 2009.
- 150,000 USD for the Monria (the moon) by "Modified Akoz Power" acting for a group of investor on 03 April 2013 (http://www.entropiaplanets.com/threads/moon-sold-for-150-000-in-entropia-universe.8997/)
- 99,900.10 USD for a bank / banking license by "Yuri iNTellect Efremov" representing the Russian Internet Payment Provider Moneta.ru on May 08, 2007
- 95,000.20 USD for a bank / banking license by "Jolana Kitty Brice" on May 08, 2007
- 90,000 USD for a bank / banking license by "Jon NEVERDIE Jacobs" on May 08, 2007
- 74,600.70 USD for Emerald Lakes Shopping Mall by "Onkel RobRoy Bob" on Dec 29, 2006
- 70,067 USD for Port Atlantis Shopping Mall by "Epsilon Eps Vaz" on Dec 29, 2006
- 69,696.9 USD for Item:Unique Green Atrox Queen Egg by "Zachurm Deathifier Emergen" (David Storey) who bought it from "Jon NEVERDIE Jacobs" on Febuary 01, 2010, making it the most expensive portable virtual object.(to do: exact date)
 Technical Details
|Very High Settings|
These requirements should be considered the minimum system requirements for Entropia Universe:
If your system falls below the Medium Settings requirement you may still be able to participate in Entropia Universe, but your visual experience will be hampered. If you use Medium Settings on a system below Medium Settings requirements, you may suffer from low frame rate. If you use Low Settings, there may be artifacts such as white texture-less avatars, no ground vegetation, short draw distance and no shadows.
 Entropia Universe Controversies
 Terra Nova Affair
 Entropia Universe Media
 Entropia Universe Screenshots
To do: Space, Interfaces, Genesis
 Planet Calypso Screenshots
To do: Gateway, Asteroid, Crystal Palace, Beacon More in the Planet Calypso Gallery.
 ROCKtropia Screenshots
To do: City of Dreams
Hyperplex Cinema, entry to Hunt The THING
More in the ROCKtropia Gallery.
 Next Island Screenshots
More in the Next Island Gallery. To do: New arrivals area, ND area
Ancient Greece, Cyclops attacking
 Planet Arkadia Screenshots
More in the Planet Arkadia Gallery.
 Planet Cyrene Screenshots
More in the Planet Cyrene Gallery.
Terranix Male (wallpaper)
 Planet Toulan Screenshots
More in the Planet Toulan Gallery.
 Theryon Wars Screenshots
More in the Theryon Wars Gallery.
 Entropia Universe articles, reviews, interviews
Press releases, news and magazine articles featuring Entropia Universe
 Entropia Univese articles
- March 12, 2007: Virtual worlds, real money on edition.cnn.com
 Entropia Uninverse reviews=
- http://www.giantbomb.com/entropia-universe/3030-21652/user-reviews/2200-21614?review_id=21614 (2011)
 Entropia Universe interviews
 Links, references, contributors, other sources, categories
- Entropia Universe Glossary, Entropia Universe related terms and abreviations
- Entropia Universe Guide, more details on specific topics
- Shortcuts to this page: http://www.entropiaplanets.com/wiki/EU,
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 www.entropiaplatform.com, official website about the Entropia Platform
- ↑ www.mindark.se, official website of Mindark
- ↑ Moon sold for $ 150,000 in Entropia Universe, arcticle on EntropiaPlanets as of 04 April 2013.
- ↑ ftp://ftp.mindark.se/pr/MindArk_HP_Benzler_Tech.pdf , "Virtual World Developer MindArk to use Latest HP Server Technology for CryENGINE 2 Upgrade", original press release by Mindark as of April 1, 2009
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 MINDARK´S VIRTUAL WORLD PLATFORM SEES FIRST INDEPENDENT PARTNER LAUNCH, official press release by Mindark as of April 07, 2010.
- ↑ ftp://ftp.mindark.se/pr/October-26-2005.pdf , US FILM-MAKER PAYS US $100,000 FOR VIRTUAL REAL ESTATE IN THE LARGEST VIRTUAL PURCHASE EVER, original press release by Mindark as of October 26, 2005
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Crystal Palace - And the winner is..., article on entropiaplanets.com
- ↑ CRD's Robert Lai Passes Away, www.virtualworldsnews.com, June 28, 2008, via archive.org
- ↑ Number of active players revealed
- ↑ Number of active players revealed
- ↑ Only transactions via the in-game Auction System or handled by Entropia Universe operator MindArk are valid and listed
- ↑ And the Asteroid goes to article on entropiaplanets.com
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 , "VIRTUAL WORLD ENTROPIA UNIVERSE ISSUE FIRST EVER VIRTUAL BANKING LICENSES FOR $400,000", original press release by Mindark as of May 08, 2007
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 In order to get the virtual banks operational each owner must add $100,000 as operational capital. So one could add license cost and operational capital to reflect the total investment.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 , "US$179,668 PAID FOR VIRTUAL REAL ESTATE IN ENTROPIA UNIVERSE, MARKING THE LARGEST PURCHASES IN ENTROPIA OF 2006.", original press release by Mindark as of January 03, 2007
- ↑ Aahhh... the EGG and Deathifier, announcement by "Zachurm Deathifier Emergen" on entropiaplanets as of Febuary 06, 2010
- ↑ Project Entropia, article on terranova.blogs.com, 03 May 2006
- ↑ Mindark, I’m sorry..., article on terranova.blogs.com, May 18 2006
- ↑ Will you be paying with Project Entropia Dollars or pounds sterling, sir?, article on guardian.co.uk, 17 May 2006
- ↑ 'Project Entropia' publisher goes after law professor, article on cnet.com, 18 May 2006
|Other sources: Wikipedia | Entropia Directory|