Planet Explorers: Pathea delete server code, make game free instead, plan to OS code and make sequel

Discussion in 'Other games and gaming' started by Wistrel, Aug 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

"Ladies and Gentlemen, it's been a long time coming. As the first humans to ever venture out this far into the frontier, I cannot emphasise how proud I am to have made this journey with you. I look forward to us building a new home together"

https://steamcommunity.com/games/237870/announcements/detail/1594753310261910516

Quite incredible to think that it's possible for someone to loose source code in this day and age. OK I get the point about the underlying tech/servicing being defunct (sad state of the world - stuff is abandoned and has support dropped for it). Thankfully the game was always planned to be first and foremost a single player story with multiplayer elements so, losing multiplayer won't totally de-worth the game.

Still. This does raise some interesting points around digital preservation. We are loosing history left right and center as stuff passes into the unsupported and defunct, requiring old OS, hardware or defunct software platforms to stay working.

Truely Sad. If any of you happen to check out this game, look for the roster on a crashed spaceship. You'll find a familiar passenger name there, probably now out wondering the Maria wilderness alone somewhere.

Wistrel

2. Tass

Tass Administrator

Terrible. One of the reasons I record videos, it's at least a little bit of preservation. There's already much more lost than still exists. MMOs are probably the most endangered but also games with specific DRM mechanics and weird platforms of whatever shape or form. For these odd reasons relatively contemporary games will more likely vanish than 80s & 90s games.

Well, it can be already very difficult to restore forum content from just 15 years ago ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I know right? These people who let their lives get in the way of digital preservation projects ;) ;) ;)

4. There's a whole planet named after my avatar? Wow.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Your avatar is called Maria? I... Gotta see her...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.